Tau FAQ (official first draft)

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Tau FAQ (offial first draft)

Post#31 » Jul 15 2016 10:59

boomwolf wrote:Yea, I love him too. despite how impractical he is without a gunrig (that I don't have and don't really want)
Even converted one of my own (didn't quite like the model)

Too bad he isn't in the contingents though, can't get myself to pass them out, and R'alai already takes the spot of my CAD commander to bring the tetras.

Can't ever have enough points for all the silly things I want to bring to the table XD

A CAD allows for 2 HQ slots...

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#32 » Jul 15 2016 12:17

Yea, but once I've got an OTC and retaliation cadre already, points don't quite allow two silly HQ picks.

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#33 » Jul 15 2016 02:56

I like most of the FAQ they answered most of the questions that people had, the only one that I see as very unusual is the Stormsurge ruling, it seems odd that it would lose all of its wounds. The rest of them make sense.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#34 » Jul 15 2016 06:26

I like how the FAQ cleared pretty much up and it doesn't have that big impact I was afraid of.
Did anyone actually had to change any lists or general tactics after being FAQed?

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#35 » Jul 16 2016 01:32

Ricordis wrote:I like how the FAQ cleared pretty much up and it doesn't have that big impact I was afraid of.
Did anyone actually had to change any lists or general tactics after being FAQed?

The return of the ECPA Riptide is about all for me. Most competitive players use Riptide Wing so it is not worth the points to them (probably).

If I had more Skyrays I would definitely be tempted by the Skysweep Missile Defence now - a full 12" move followed by shooting all the missiles at full BS is pretty good. Markerlights got a lot better with Seeker Missiles which I feel also helps the Skyray; moving or jinking does not negate the BS5 Seeker shot anymore.

Piranha Firestream really does do exactly what its rules appeared to say it does. Personally I think the sweet spot here is units of 2-4 skimmers that are frustratingly hard to finish off and keep coming back at full strength - a really effective skirmish force.

If I was in the mood to go out and buy models right now it would be Piranhas and Skyrays. I do feel like mechanised Tau are in a slightly better place after this FAQ.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#36 » Jul 16 2016 02:01

Yea, I'm tempted to buy some phiranas now.

But given that I still have three broadsides, a second ghostkeel and some stormsurge conversion parts on the pipe, and way too big of an army anyhow-I don't see it happening soon.

The ECPA is the big ticket.
Sure, wing players wouldn't care. but I don't wing, I got one riptide that is taking point in my retaliation cadre. and I very much prefer a dakkatide to an iontide in terms of style. (and the dakkatide used to be my AA until Montka broke the ECPA)

Still won't use the skysweep. I understand its decent now, I just detest skyrays. I'm a hameerhead kind of guy.

thezanji
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#37 » Aug 03 2016 12:04

Talking about The Eight, anyone understand the logic behind their new rule? since Ob'lotai has no deep strike, this means they must start the game on the table? does farsight's Warlord traits becomes useless? am I missing something?

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#38 » Aug 03 2016 01:17

thezanji wrote:Talking about The Eight, anyone understand the logic behind their new rule? since Ob'lotai has no deep strike, this means they must start the game on the table? does farsight's Warlord traits becomes useless? am I missing something?

I believe it also said they are all IC, they can start the game to form units or not, simply leave the broadside on the table.
For the greater good!

thezanji
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#39 » Aug 03 2016 03:41

Macknight wrote:
thezanji wrote:Talking about The Eight, anyone understand the logic behind their new rule? since Ob'lotai has no deep strike, this means they must start the game on the table? does farsight's Warlord traits becomes useless? am I missing something?

I believe it also said they are all IC, they can start the game to form units or not, simply leave the broadside on the table.

yes, but I meant, the new rule that turns them into a single unit...

Spectralblade
Shas

Post#40 » Aug 03 2016 04:30

If you deploy them as a unit, they can't Deep Strike because Ob'lotai doesn't have the rule (BRB specifically states all models in the unit need to have the rule for the unit to Deep Strike), and the FAQ thing that gives them the 'start as a unit' thing states they all lose IC if they do. So yes, Farsight's Warlord Trait would be useless in that situation.

I don't really understand why they gave us that rule either. Even the formation supports running them as ICs with their 24'' Supporting Fire benefit, which is completely negated by running them as a unit since they'd need to maintain coherency as I understand it. Plus there's their wide assortment of weapons, where you'd want Ob'lotai way back sniping, whereas Farsight, Torchstar and people want to get stuck in. For narrative games maybe? Seems really strange and unnecessary.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#41 » Aug 03 2016 04:57

There is no rule you have to buy all 8 of the Eight, you pick which ones you want, then form a unit or not. You can also start the game having them all separate IC, then have them join together to a unit of (crisis) during the game.

If you decide to buy all 8 and have them in one unit at the start of the game, then some of the tactical approaches are limited as said above.
For the greater good!

Spectralblade
Shas

Post#42 » Aug 03 2016 05:25

The problem with not buying all of them is there's a Q/A in the FAQ which basically suggests the formation supersedes all previous rules regarding the Eight, including the one which let you take them individually:

Q: In the 2013's The Farsight Enclaves, any member of The Eight could be taken as a HQ choice that does not use a Force Organisation Slot as long as Commander Farsight was your commander. Is this still true, or are the members of The Eight only available in the Formation now?

A: The intent of that rule was to allow Farsight to be accompanied by The Eight, regardless of the limits of the Force Organisation Chart. The Eight Formation does this, so The Eight as presented in that Formation can only be fielded as part of that Formation.

That suggests to me that The Eight are now essentially an all or nothing package: you either get the whole formation or you get none of The Eight (except Farsight if taken by himself).

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#43 » Aug 03 2016 07:11

The rules say you have to get all of them, or only farsight via command detachment.

you don't have to field them all together, though.

Spectralblade
Shas

Post#44 » Aug 03 2016 08:01

That's the weird thing. In the updated FE Codex that includes the stuff from Mont'ka, they don't list the Eight individually like in the original release, they're all listed as part of the Formation. And the FAQ wording is 'when you deploy the Eight, you can deploy them as a single unit' and they lose IC if you do that. So as far as I'm understanding the FAQ, you have to take all eight of them and if you choose to deploy them as a unit, you have to deploy all eight of them in that unit.

Is there some benefit to it I'm just not understanding? All I can think of is shenanigans with Torchstar's MSSS and Shavastos' Puretide Engram, and maybe Look Out Sir if they still count as characters.

jeffersonian000
Shas

Post#45 » Aug 04 2016 08:00

One point people miss is that other than Farsight, each of the Eight are legal builds with the game (even O'vasa, now that FSE Riptides can take ECP). So yes, you can take any if the Eight on their own in your army, sans special rules for being an Eight.

SJ

Vres'ka
Shas'Saal

Post#46 » Aug 16 2016 03:46

The big advantage of the Unit is having a Riptide with FNP in the frontline taking the hits for the rest of the Formation.
It is not possible to make Ob'lotai otherwise in a unit of non-broadside.

It has flaws, but you get a mixed unit that's really hard to kill off.

I think I'll test it soon, in fact.
We alone are to guard stars that used to be our homes.

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#47 » Aug 17 2016 06:11

So Necron FAQ came out and they brought up the relic answer again but with a key difference in wording.
A model may only have one relic (or equivalent ).

Covers more than just the word relic plus there's no longer any exemption listed.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau FAQ (official first draft)

Post#48 » Aug 18 2016 08:32

Yeah I read that as well and it bothers me.
As long as it's just in the Necron FAQ it's fine but if it's a sign that we get something like that added as well to our FAQ...well lets just say it wouldn't make much sense considering the wording of a few things in our Codex.

Return to “Archival Datacore”