Multiple Drone-Net VX1-0s?

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
mothyy
Shas'Saal

Multiple Drone-Net VX1-0s?

Post#1 » Aug 22 2016 12:17

Hi all, just a quick question. If I have multiple drone nets in my army, will the +1BS bonuses stack with each other? can I have drones running around with BS5?

cheers

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Multiple Drone-Net VX1-0s?

Post#2 » Aug 22 2016 01:43

iirc that's possible....but why would you want to spend so many points for BS5 Gun-Drones? They are still just S5 AP5 at 18" and they already have twin linked. If you want BS5 Markerlight-Drones then the Commander with Drone Controller is the better way to get it.
Also keep in mind that it counts for all drones on the field. Even the enemy ones.

GeorgeJetson
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 22 2016 02:40

As I recall, this question come up earlier in another thread shortly after the release of WZD: Mont'Ka.

The answer is "no," because the bonuses grated by formations for the same benefit don't stack. I suppose if you needed 8 squads of four drones (32 drones), you could take it twice as an auxiliary choice. Might be useful for a Retaliation Cadre as a gunline, they'd be on par with FWs with pulse rifles, with slightly better chance to hit thanks to twin-linked and more mobile. Use the drones as gunline/screens while your more expensive and more mobile suits capture objectives. But, no, the +1BS doesn't stack.

Locke
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 22 2016 03:36

The answer is "no," because the bonuses grated by formations for the same benefit don't stack.

Says who? That's absolutely not true. Psychic powers and wargear don't stack, but that has nothing to do with formations.

GeorgeJetson
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 22 2016 04:54

Locke,

BRB under the section for Special Rules, first dialogue box. A model cannot gain the benefit of a special rule more than once. However, the effects of multiple *different* special rules are cumulative.

Since the formation special rule that confers the +1BS to all drones in the army would be the same special rule as granted by having a second formation it does not stack, as the model cannot benefit from the same special rule more than once.

So, yes, it absolutely is true.

I still think it's cool as a gun line idea, regardless of whether or not you get +1 or +2 BS. The only downside is the cost, unless you're crazy like me and have literally dozens of Crisis Suit team kits with 6 drones each. Intercepting, split-firing, twin-linked, jet pack Firewarriors, with built-in (if you want) marker light support. Their Ld still sucks, though. Good thing you can JSJ out of the way of assaults.

mothyy
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 23 2016 04:53

Alright, cheers. My idea is just to have a full Piranha Firestream dropping off drones, so a Drone Net seems like a good idea to buff them up a bit.

GeorgeJetson
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 23 2016 11:37

The Piranha Firestream Wing is a cool formation, I just wouldn't bank on using it as a drone factory. It'd be cool to load them out with missiles, though, Turn 1 alpha strike. Then come back for a Beta, Gamma, and Delta strike after harassing some tanks with your fusion blasters.

Return to “Archival Datacore”