Barrage weapon wound allocation in multi-level ruins

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
nic
Kroot'La

Barrage weapon wound allocation in multi-level ruins

Post#1 » Aug 28 2016 11:45

I have been trying to think of ways to keep my poor Ethereal caste alive in games where massed barrage weapons appear and with the GW FAQ for blast and barrage hitting all levels.

Apart from sticking a ghostkeel on an upper level of a ruin (it triggers its Holophoton countermeasures to force the barrage weapon to snap-shoot) I have been struggling. However a more lasting approach has occurred to me - if my understanding of the rules is right.

The plan is to put the Ethereal in a unit with a strong tanking character (Mark'O with drones) and place the Ethereal vertically one level below the commander in the ruin. When the barrage marker is placed then on a direct hit the nearest model to the hole in the centre is the commander because s/he is physically closer to the marker itself when held above the table to measure how many models get hit. The barrage gets a free extra hit because the Ethereal counts as being there for counting models under the marker but an Iridium/Stims commander can take an awful lot of wounds before he goes down and he has the option of off-loading S10 wounds to drones with Look Out Sir.

So is my reading of the Barrage rule correct - and therefore will this work to keep barrage weapons off my vulnerable Ethereal for a while?

mothyy
Shas'Saal

Re: Barrage weapon wound allocation in multi-level ruins

Post#2 » Aug 28 2016 01:40

I'd say that sounds correct. If you had them exactly one on top of the other, they'd both be the same distance from a 2D view, and the commander on top would be closer from a 3D view, so either way you opponent argued it you could still allocate the wound to the commander. I'm guessing LoS! just isn't cutting it at the moment?

nic
Kroot'La

Post#3 » Aug 28 2016 04:03

mothyy wrote:I'd say that sounds correct. If you had them exactly one on top of the other, they'd both be the same distance from a 2D view, and the commander on top would be closer from a 3D view, so either way you opponent argued it you could still allocate the wound to the commander. I'm guessing LoS! just isn't cutting it at the moment?

The problem is that S6 barrage weapons will ID any Ethereal, so the first time I roll a 1 on Look Out Sir it really hurts. When I have thunderfire cannon dropping multiple barrages on my HQ the odds start looking very bad. Rolling a 1 on the Commander is no big deal, he might FNP the wound or he might lose a wound. In practice most opponents give up on trying to kill an Iridium + Stims commander with barrage weapons after a turn or two.

Glad nobody can see a flaw in my understanding of the rules. I thought it best to check before relying on it.

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 29 2016 11:48

Yeah when two or more models are equal distance away it's controlling players choice of who gets hit first. So you are good on that. Only problem would be if the commander somehow dies. Then the ethereal takes the rest.

Return to “Archival Datacore”