XV8 Movement Rules

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
Blade Runner
Shas'Saal

XV8 Movement Rules

Post#1 » Sep 07 2016 09:30

I went for my second tutorial game the other day and walked away confused by the guy running it.
He had me moving 6" movement & 6" assault, and at one point had me move the xv8s 12" then shoot.
I was under the understanding that xv8s move 6", can run 1D6 (if they do this they cannot shoot), and then assault 2D6. I thought I was good on xv8s movement but am now questioning.
Opinions and advice please

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: XV8 Movement Rules

Post#2 » Sep 07 2016 10:26

You are the one who is correct. The Jet Pack rules are very clear in this respect. Crisis suits (and drones, stealth suits, etc) all move 6" in the movement phase, can run 1d6" and can always jump in the assault phase 2d6".

Cheers!

Blade Runner
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 07 2016 12:17

So the only benefit to run over shoot would be to get to better cover to shoot something in the next turn.

Ex: There's a wall you want to get to for cover, it's more than 6" away, say 15" away, move 6", roll 1D6", a 3, move 3", then assault roll 2D6 a 4 & 5 = 9 (total 18"), xv8 can easily move to the cover (without shooting)

Does this sound about right?

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Sep 07 2016 05:33

Sounds about right, but the other (and often main for Tau) reason to run is if you need to claim an objective.

And as this guy who was teaching you seems a bit confused there's another important thing to remember (which even seasoned players don't always know about jet pack units). When you do a fall back move you only do the regular 2D6". Some people will get mixed up with jump infantry (who have a 3D6" fall back) but jet packs, like your crisis suits, are a separate thing entirely. I suspect the guy teaching you might have been getting them mixed up with jump infantry, hence pointing this out just in case :)

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#5 » Sep 07 2016 07:28

Pilky is right, it sounds like your teacher is maybe not used to playing Tau and was confusing the Jump Infantry rules with the Jet Pack Infantry rules. Most armies would have jump infantry which move 12", then do whatever actions they deem necessary. Jet packs are a bit more tactical, as they allow secondary movement after shooting which makes them unique.

Blade Runner
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Sep 08 2016 09:02

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and information.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Sep 10 2016 01:51

I have to admit; My first few matches I forgot I can move my Crisis after shooting.
I hated them because I thought they had to kill anything Blood Angels related in one turn + overwatch before getting assaulted. Yep, made me lose many matches before I got it right.

Wait, you tell me my Crisis have two wounds and can move 2D6 after shooting? Oh my god, I want a rematch!

Return to “Archival Datacore”