I think I played Homing wrong

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Ricordis
Shas'La

I think I played Homing wrong

Post#1 » Oct 15 2016 08:02

Greetings,

I always played my lovely Smart Missile Systems as

My Unit fires at this unit. I have no line of sight but my Smart Missiles don't need any Line of sight.

I think most people did. But yesterday I was reading randomly the BRB and went through the shooting-chapter.
There I read I have to check on LOS before I choose any weapon.
Now I wonder if I have played it wrong all the time. Well...on this interpretation most argues if I can intercept units without LOS would be irrelevant.

But then this rule would not make any sense!

The usability would be lowered. Because I can draw LOS doesn't mean I can see the whole unit.
The Smart Missiles are projectiles able to fly in curves but the shooting unit still needs a target to shoot at.

Am I right or did I overread something that would allow me to play my SMS like I did before?

pilky
Shas'La

Re: I think I played Homing wrong

Post#2 » Oct 15 2016 08:31

You're forgetting pg 13 of the BRB, stating that when rules on weapons or models contradict the BRB, the weapon/model rules win. So the SMS rule about not needing LoS takes precedence over the BRB rule about needing LoS.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#3 » Oct 17 2016 01:20

Codex rules overwrite BRB rules. It was always like that and will always be. So you played it right.

Ricordis
Shas'La

Post#4 » Oct 17 2016 06:16

So why are people arguing about LOS and interceptor?

Btw, I know Codex rules override BRB rules. But if you follow the wording of the BRB they don't even conflict.
BRB checks LOS before you are even able to use any weapon. But I don't want to start a fight over this.
Just wondered if anyone else could follow my thoughts.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 17 2016 06:37

Yup, and then the Homing rule says you can ignore the LoS restriction. You're overthinking it. :)

Ricordis
Shas'La

Post#6 » Oct 17 2016 07:05

Still Homing is a rule on a weapon, not on a model.
If you'd follow the checklist for solving a shooting attack like a stupid and merciless machine you wouldn't get far enough to check any rules on any weapons.
If the BRB would say the LOS has to be checked after choosing a weapon then this would have been absolutely waterproof.

Anyway, I like my rockets homing and you can say whatever you want but my homing missiles can intercept without drawing a LOS :D

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Oct 17 2016 07:28

Ricordis wrote:Anyway, I like my rockets homing and you can say whatever you want but my homing missiles can intercept without drawing a LOS :D

You were the only one disputing that. :P

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Oct 17 2016 08:03

The Shooting Sequence rules are pretty poorly written and open to tons of inane interpretations. For instance, while we're on the subject of LoS, it first says you have to "check" for range and LoS to the target unit. It doesn't say what to do with that information. It doesn't say "you have to check that you are within range and have line of sight", it says "check the range and line of sight". So you can check it, see that you are not within range, and then happily continue to step 3. Furthermore, how can you check that you are "within range" before you choose a weapon?

There is a second clause specifically about Line of Sight, where it actually states that line of sight is required. However, it only says "one model" must have line of sight to "one model in the target unit". It doesn't say that "one model" must be part of the unit currently trying to shoot. So you could essentially use any model on the board for this check, including a different enemy model in the target unit.

Ridiculous? Utterly. But technically a valid interpretation. If your enemy is a dirty RAW fundamentalist who argues that Homing weapons still need line of sight, bring this up and watch his dismay as he realizes that all your weapons completely bypass the LoS requirements.

SniperTau
Shas'La

Post#9 » Oct 17 2016 06:22

Now THAT would be funny to use on my friend (he would be a little upset though) :D
'Snipers, ready, ready.....'

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La

Post#10 » Oct 19 2016 05:32

Unicornsilovethem wrote:The Shooting Sequence rules are pretty poorly written and open to tons of inane interpretations. For instance, while we're on the subject of LoS, it first says you have to "check" for range and LoS to the target unit. It doesn't say what to do with that information. It doesn't say "you have to check that you are within range and have line of sight", it says "check the range and line of sight". So you can check it, see that you are not within range, and then happily continue to step 3. Furthermore, how can you check that you are "within range" before you choose a weapon?

There is a second clause specifically about Line of Sight, where it actually states that line of sight is required. However, it only says "one model" must have line of sight to "one model in the target unit". It doesn't say that "one model" must be part of the unit currently trying to shoot. So you could essentially use any model on the board for this check, including a different enemy model in the target unit.

Ridiculous? Utterly. But technically a valid interpretation. If your enemy is a dirty RAW fundamentalist who argues that Homing weapons still need line of sight, bring this up and watch his dismay as he realizes that all your weapons completely bypass the LoS requirements.
First you select a target for your unit to shoot. Then you check for range. Literally take out your ruler and measure range from your unit to the target. Are you in range? No? CANT SHOOT. Yes? Move on to next steps. Check line of sight. Does your unit have line of sight to the target you have selected? No? CANT SHOOT. Yes? You may ONLY wound those models that you can see. Now you may roll start your shooting phase. If your weapon ignores LoS you can ignore the line of sight phrase and continue shooting if you have already passed the range test. It's very simple.

Unicornsilovethem wrote:So you could essentially use any model on the board for this check, including a different enemy model in the target unit.

This isn't true at all. It specifically states that you "nominate a unit to attack" and then pick the target you plan to attack. Go reread the BRB.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”