Kill Team and DS8 turrets

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
cross.mountain
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Kill Team and DS8 turrets

Post#1 » Nov 16 2016 03:26

I just played my first kill team game (against Tyranids) and finished with a win. The game was really fun and we both enjoyed very much. In the game I took a Stealth team, a Piranha and a Fire warrior team with a DS8.

My question is regarding the deployment of the DS8 turret. In short the rules are stating that the unit has to be stationary in the movement phase. It then can be deployed within 2'' of any model of the unit. The kill team rules are saying that each model is a unit of its own. So that's where I need some clarification:

- When the DS8 is deployed can I choose every model as the very unit which has called in the DS8 (as long as it follows the other rules of its deployment)?
- If so and this particular model moves more than 2'' away from the DS8 can an other model (unit) get the DS8?
- And again if so, when can I deploy the next DS8? In the same turn or do I have to wait for the next one?

Having said this that is the way I would understand the rules. But especially the last paragraph is one which I'm the most unsure about. Clarification is appreciated.

c.m

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Re: Kill Team and DS8 turrets

Post#2 » Nov 16 2016 05:34

There is a very solid explanation of the DS8 in the appendix to the current kill team rules.

Short version:
So long as one model from the unit is stationary you can deploy the turret
So long as any model from the unit is within 2" of the turret it remains in play...
Except if an enemy model gets within 2" in which case it is removed as a casualty

After removal as a casualty it can be put right back on the table subject to the above.

just like everything else in kill team it acts independently - although that only applies to shooting because that is all it can do.

Basically it is better and more flexible in kill team than in normal games and a generally excellent option.

cross.mountain
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 17 2016 08:18

Having reread the explanation in the kill team rules I agree that this covers my first question. Every Fire warrior model/unit can get the DS8.

But when I have initially chosen a model does the DS8 belongs to this very model exclusively? Can another Fire warrior call in the DS8, too, when it is removed due to e.g. no unit coherence, or can it only be deployed with the first Fire warrior?

I know that I can't have more than one DS8 on the board at the same time. But when the DS8 is removed in the movement phase can I attach the DS8 to another Fire warrior in the same turn? I can't deploy more Han one but there are multiple models/units which have access to that purchase.

Again this falls into the category of buying one item for a unit (normal 40k games) which now can be used by more than one unit. But different from the guardian drone (which appears to effect only one single model) the DS8 is an excellent option as you said and is welcomed by every of my Fire warriors on the table. ;)

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#4 » Nov 17 2016 03:03

It seems pretty clear from the wording that any model from the unit can keep the DS8 on the table by being within 2" - not just the original one that stood still for it to deploy.

If you run multiple teams each with a DS8 turret I think you would want to make sure they had squad markings or something to tell them apart - to avoid confusion and possible accidental cheating.

They avoided possible cheese of DS8 teleporting across the table by stating that when removed it can be replaced in a future movement phase. Technically you can still game this by having the team member near it make a run move right after it shoots to leave the 2" distance, the turret is removed immediately and can be replaced somewhere else in your next movement phase ready to shoot again. It is rules-legal but perhaps not friend-winning.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#5 » Nov 18 2016 01:13

Interesting to know, planning on adding one to my own strike team too.

cross.mountain
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#6 » Nov 18 2016 08:05

Thanks, nic! I somehow missed the part with the replacement in a future movement phase. Arguing here that another Fire warrior model in kill team is a complete separate unit and can take over the DS8 in the same phase when they were purchased as one seems rather unfair.

They avoided possible cheese of DS8 teleporting across the table by stating that when removed it can be replaced in a future movement phase. Technically you can still game this by having the team member near it make a run move right after it shoots to leave the 2" distance, the turret is removed immediately and can be replaced somewhere else in your next movement phase ready to shoot again. It is rules-legal but perhaps not friend-winning.
Interesting tactic. Never have thought of it before. However I don't think it's cheesy in kill team as the option to shoot and run is given by the hunter cadre rule (and which obviously can't be taken in kill team). So no shooting but running and deploying the DS8 in your next movement phase seems ok to me even in a friendly environment.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Nov 18 2016 08:23

I'm glad to find out I've been using the DS8 correctly in my games of kill team... I'll definitely be pinching that cheeky run manoeuver though!

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#8 » Nov 18 2016 05:25

After posting the run trick I realised that a drone would do it even better. Fire away in the shooting phase then jet pack move away. The turret goes back into reserve until you decide where you want it next turn.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 19 2016 12:23

nic wrote:It seems pretty clear from the wording that any model from the unit can keep the DS8 on the table by being within 2" - not just the original one that stood still for it to deploy.

If you run multiple teams each with a DS8 turret I think you would want to make sure they had squad markings or something to tell them apart - to avoid confusion and possible accidental cheating.

I was never under the impression individual models could run while the unit shoots. This is the case?

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#10 » Dec 19 2016 12:41

Overheal wrote:I was never under the impression individual models could run while the unit shoots. This is the case?

Page 12 of the Kill Team rules clarifies this. For in-game purposes every model is considered a separate unit, so if you took 5 Fire Warriors as a unit in your army list, during the game each one is a separate single Fire Warrior. Unlike normal games, this means that you can, indeed, run one model and shoot with another even though you bought them in your army list as a single unit.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#11 » Dec 23 2016 01:34

Eeriely like 2nd Edition skirmish rules. Had not realised this till just now reading that line. :-( :)

Return to “Archival Datacore”