Marker lights & Target locks?

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
Spray & Pray
Shas'Saal

Marker lights & Target locks?

Post#1 » Nov 17 2016 11:25

Embarrassing question time, if I have a unit with target locks, let's say 2 crisis suits in a unit, 1 with target lock, one without. The unit nominates to fire at a squad of tactical marines. The other crisis suit in the unit, nominates to use their target lock and fire at a scout squad.

So the crisis suit unit is firing at 2 targets, a tactical squad and scout squad. Everything is fine so far, the question is, does the crisis suit using the target lock, get to use a marker light token whilst firing at the scout squad? So for example, I already fired markerlights at both the tactical squad and scout squad. The crisis suit unit nominates the tactical squad as the primary target, and uses a marker token, that is fine so far. The crisis suit with the target lock declares it is shooting at the scout squad, does it get to use any marker tokens?

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: Marker lights & Target locks?

Post#2 » Nov 17 2016 12:08

The short answer is no. You only benefit from marker light abilities for the target unit. So the suit in your example firing at the tactical squad would get the benefit, the other suit would not.

Czar Ziggy

Spray & Pray
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 17 2016 12:22

Thanks, so even though that I'd have marker light tokens available to use against the scout squad, which the crisis suit with the target lock is firing at, I can't use them due to the way markerlights rules are written, correct?

Elphiel
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Nov 18 2016 08:24

No, i think Czar Ziggy misread your question. You can also use the markerlight token from your second target for your target lock equipped crisis suit the moment you declare that this suit is targeting the scout unit.

For example it would work like this.

1. You declare that your unit of crisis suits is shooting at Target A (the tactical squad).
2. they use a markerlight token from Target A to lets say improve their BS for everyone of your unit of crisis suits that are shooting at Target A.
3. You declare that your target lock equipped crisis is shooting at Target B (the scout squad).
4. he uses the markerlight token from Target B to lets say improve their BS for every model that is shooting at Target B.
5. You start to resolve the shooting like you declared in step 1-4.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Nov 18 2016 06:25

Markerlights in fluff and rules are used to "light up" a target. This makes the networked gun systems of all the Tau be super accurate against that specific target. I don't have my book on hand, but the Markerlight section of your codex should go into detail on how this is used.

Therefore, the markerlights on Target A can only be spent against Target A and no other target - even if you use Target Lock to attack a different target.

If the question is then, Target A has markerlight tokens and Target B has markerlight tokens, may I use tokens from both units to increase my shooting via Target Lock split firing if I choose to shoot at Target B? I would say yes, but I would need to look at the codex entry to double check.

Edit: Pg 123. Yes, split firing (target lock) models may use markerlights on the target that they are shooting at. Think of markerlights as something that "debuffs" the target. It does not buff your unit itself.

Keep in mind that if you plan to use Target Lock shooting you must nominate all of your targets before you start rolling to hit.

Edit: As far as tactics go, using one unit to shoot at multiple units that have multiple markerlights on them might be a damage decrease, rather than an increase.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Spray & Pray
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 20 2016 11:15

Thanks for the help everyone, very much appreciated!

Return to “Archival Datacore”