Infiltrate and joining units during deployment (post FAQ)

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Infiltrate and joining units during deployment (post FAQ)

Post#19 » Dec 16 2016 01:34

BRB FAQ wrote:Page 166 – Independent Character, Independent
Characters and Infiltrate - Change this sentence to read:‘An Independent Character without the Infiltrate
special rule cannot join a unit of Infiltrators during deployment, and vice versa.’

I have an IC without infiltrate. I cannot join a unit of infiltrators during deployment, and vice versa. This makes it so that you cannot confer infiltrate to a unit or IC that does not have it. Period.

BRB FAQ wrote:Q: Infiltrate rules state that an Independent Character without Infiltrate cannot join a squad of Infiltrators. Does this mean a squad that is actively Infiltrating or just any unit that has the Infiltrate rule? This matters for things like Outflank (granted freely by the Infiltrate rule) and Infiltrate units that have Deep Strike.

A: An Independent Character without the Infiltrate special rule cannot join a unit of Infiltrators during deployment, whether they are Infiltrating, Deep Striking or Outflanking. They are free to join units as they wish after deployment.

This is the definitive question that clears up the entire thread. The question is specifically asking if the aforementioned rule applies to a unit that is actively infiltrating or ANY unit that has the infiltration rule. It goes on to say that an IC without infiltration CANNOT JOIN a unit of infiltrators during deployment, whether infiltration, deep striking or outflanking. PERIOD. If you have an IC and a unit and only one of them has infiltration, then NEITHER of them can group in deployment. PERIOD.

They did this likely to clear up any confusion with infiltration being conferred to other units (such as giving outflank). Instead of getting into specifics, they just outright banned the entire concept of infiltration being conferred at all during deployment.

Finally, reference your BRB page 166 on IC joining and leaving units. If the IC finishes its movement phase within 2in of a unit, you must then declare if that IC is joining that unit or not. At the very least, you can deploy with your IC in your deployment zone, and your unit in the deployment zone (or further ahead if you please). As long as they are both within 2in at the end of your movement phase, you can join them.

I agree that it is a weird rule question in that it seems to prevent units and IC from joining normally in deployment. I would say as a house rule it would be acceptable to have your IC and unit join each other so long as they are in the deployment zone.

Otherwise, the ruling is quite clear.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Dec 16 2016 03:39

Ell'ran wrote:
Panzer wrote:Imo they just used 'Infiltrator' because it's the easiest way to name a unit with the Infiltrate USR. By using a single word that is.

Well then they shouldn't have done the "easiest" thing, and instead should have been clear as to what they were talking about. Poor wording creates problems for the entire 40k community, and they really should know that by now.

They shouldn't have done a lot of things...for example writing the rules unclear in the first place. However it's still GW we are talking about. ;)

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#21 » Dec 16 2016 05:10

Panzer wrote:
Ell'ran wrote:
Panzer wrote:Imo they just used 'Infiltrator' because it's the easiest way to name a unit with the Infiltrate USR. By using a single word that is.

Well then they shouldn't have done the "easiest" thing, and instead should have been clear as to what they were talking about. Poor wording creates problems for the entire 40k community, and they really should know that by now.

They shouldn't have done a lot of things...for example writing the rules unclear in the first place. However it's still GW we are talking about. ;)

GW sometimes prefer a flowing writing style to precision and clarity - I sometimes wish they would not do this but I have been playing games long enough to know that most of the games that took a more precise approach to language have come and gone during the time that 40K has continued to be played.

Return to “Archival Datacore”