Outflank

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
Overheal
Shas'Saal

Outflank

Post#1 » Jan 17 2017 04:43

So I've looked through the 7e codex and it seems only Darkstrider can outflank anymore? Is this true? Am I crazy??

SomeTauGuy
Shas'Ui

Re: Outflank

Post#2 » Jan 17 2017 07:02

The Scout & Infiltrate special rules both confer Outflank to units that have either of those special rules.

So the list of possible Outflanking units looks like:
  • Shadowsun
  • Darkstrider
  • Kroot
  • Stealth suits
  • Pathfinders (with Devilfish if taken as a dedicated transport)

If you're running FSE you can also use the Warscaper Drone to give Outflank (and acute senses) to any Commander or member of a crisis team with a drone. So if your happy to attach your Commander to a unit the Outflanking list gains:
  • Crisis team
  • Firewarriors (attach Darkstrider or a Warscaper Commander)
  • Breachers (attach Darkstrider or a Warscaper Commander)
  • Vespid
  • Sniper team
  • Drones
  • Broadsides

Take several Outflanking units and combine with Positional Relays and you can completely encircle the table. Having a unit of Crisis suits or Broadsides waltz on from your opponents own table edge at the start of turn 2 is pretty funny...

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jan 18 2017 02:44

Or even turn 1 if your opponent begins and dares to kill one of your Infiltration Cadre units. ;)

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 19 2017 11:25

Ah. Makes more sense now.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd sacrifice a 90 point stealth team for that though. Then again, they love getting squished.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jan 19 2017 12:52

The Infiltration Cadre is good and fun. No tournament level of good formation but still good for harder casual games.

Stealth Suits are only tax anyway so sacrifice away. Or the Piranha. Most opponents who don't actually plan through the whole game with your formations in mind would love to get an easy first blood from a Fusion Blast Piranha since it could actually threaten his vehicles quite well. Bonus is a Piranha costs almost nothing points-wise.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 19 2017 05:16

Only thing to note here is that infiltrate confers outflank, but you cannot join a character that has infiltrate to a unit that doesn't and vice versa at deployment as per the FAQ.

This means you could not join Shadowsun to a Crisis Suit team for the purposes of outflanking the Crisis Suit team with Shadowsun.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jan 19 2017 10:29

Tetras (FW) have scout. I outflank them all the time for deep striking shenanigans (they have homing beacons)

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jan 20 2017 05:29

AnonAmbientLight wrote:Only thing to note here is that infiltrate confers outflank, but you cannot join a character that has infiltrate to a unit that doesn't and vice versa at deployment as per the FAQ.

This means you could not join Shadowsun to a Crisis Suit team for the purposes of outflanking the Crisis Suit team with Shadowsun.

Just to make it clear: you can't join them during deployment (so everything with reserves included obviously). However you can join Shadowsun any unit or a Commander to Stealth Suits once the game began.

Return to “Archival Datacore”