FAQs for every codex - finally!

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: FAQs for every codex - finally!

Post#19 » Jan 28 2017 04:15

Unusualsuspect wrote:You're referring to the MSSS and the C&CN, presumably, which state that they can both be used at the same time?

However, I'm coming to conclude that the wording is potentially ambiguous, and that in light of the FAQ and its broad language (Is the "unless explicitly stated" wording still there? I believe it is), ambiguous wording should not be enough.

"Can be used at the same time" could easily be meant to be understood as: when both Relic-wielders are part of the same unit, they can both be used during the same phase and the effects will stack.

More explicit language would have used the words "A model/The wielder can use both the MSSS and the C&CN at the same time..." or "...MSSS and the C&CN can be used by the wielder/model at the same time..."

Combine this with the fact that the wording for Relic list choices already tend to be ambiguously plural even in Codex: Space Marines ("may take items from the X, Y, and Relic lists"), and the special snowflake status of Tau Signature Systems seems harder and harder for me to justify (aside from some SS fluff, in which there are undoubtedly multiples of several Signature Systems floating around, though other Signature Systems - I'm looking at you, Talisman - are unique artifacts).

No I don't. I said what I'm refering to.

EDIT: Guess I was a bit fast with my reply. :D
I totally agree with your point about MSSS and C&CN. It was always just a hint but never a strong argument in favour of being able to take multiple ones.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#20 » Jan 28 2017 05:40

Unusualsuspect wrote:Edit: Whoops, I need to work on my reading comprehension. Strike the next line.

You're referring to the MSSS and the C&CN, presumably, which state that they can both be used at the same time?

But I still think it worth discussion, so I'll leave the rest of my post up.

However, I'm coming to conclude that the wording is potentially ambiguous, and that in light of the FAQ and its broad language (Is the "unless explicitly stated" wording still there? I believe it is), ambiguous wording should not be enough.

"Can be used at the same time" could easily be meant to be understood as: when both Relic-wielders are part of the same unit, they can both be used during the same phase and the effects will stack.

More explicit language would have used the words "A model/The wielder can use both the MSSS and the C&CN at the same time..." or "...MSSS and the C&CN can be used by the wielder/model at the same time..."

Combine this with the fact that the wording for Relic list choices already tend to be ambiguously plural even in Codex: Space Marines ("may take items from the X, Y, and Relic lists"), and the special snowflake status of Tau Signature Systems seems harder and harder for me to justify (aside from some SS fluff, in which there are undoubtedly multiples of several Signature Systems floating around, though other Signature Systems - I'm looking at you, Talisman - are unique artifacts).

While most datasheets do say, "may take items from the X, Y, and Relic lists" the Tau Commander's data sheet very specifically excludes the X and Y. "May take items from the Signature Systems List" is it's own bullet point, following the ability to take a limited number of hard points in another bullet.

As it stands, nowhere in the BRB does it suggest that a relic is intended to be one-per-model across the board. Any indications of limitation are found only within the individual codices themselves. And Tau don't have those limitations included. Most other codices have specific limitations spelled under the wargear list. "May exchange one weapon for one relic." "A model may select one of these." That sort of thing. Tau's only limitation here is "Only one of each Signature System can be taken per army."

If the "only one relic" thing was an official errata, and not official FAQ, i'd be more inclined dismantle the buffmander and meleemander lists.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Jan 28 2017 06:00

Come to think of....i rarely use more than one Signature System on a Commander anyway. :D
No big fan of the oldschool Buff'O and while I always wanted to play more with the Fusion Blade Commander I never got around to it since I want a proper model for him first.
The far superior Mark'O only needs one Signature System usually and lately I've been toying around with casual lists with 1-2 Coldstar Mark'O which I really want to play with soon. :P

Return to “Archival Datacore”