FAQs for every codex - finally!

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
User avatar
Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Posts: 929

Re: FAQs for every codex - finally!

Post#11 » Jan 21 2017 10:03

Also, at least one member of The Eight has multiple signature systems.

Rtb01
Shas
Posts: 18

Re: FAQs for every codex - finally!

Post#12 » Jan 22 2017 07:33

I still don't understand why an anchored stormsurge instantly dies when run over :dead:

User avatar
Overheal
Shas'Saal
Posts: 56

Re: FAQs for every codex - finally!

Post#13 » Jan 22 2017 02:09

Panzer wrote:
Overheal wrote:The Pulse Bomber starts with a Pulse Bomb? Capital idea!

What's the deal with them talking about Ordnance weapons on a Riptide though? The IA isn't an Ordnance profile weapon...

The IA becomes an Ordnance weapon when you use its Nova profile.

How would I know that on the reg? The weapons profile sheet doesnt state that it just says Heavy 1 large blast gets hot

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'La
Posts: 780

Re: FAQs for every codex - finally!

Post#14 » Jan 22 2017 02:29

It does though
Image

User avatar
Overheal
Shas'Saal
Posts: 56

Re: FAQs for every codex - finally!

Post#15 » Jan 23 2017 10:41

.......I knew that

fraction64
Shas'Saal
Posts: 108

Re: FAQs for every codex - finally!

Post#16 » Jan 27 2017 04:28

I will point out that in a related answer they say that a model can only have a single relic or equivalent. That still confuses the issue.
Also special characters have been known to carry more than one relic.

It does seem strange that Tau would be the only army to not be limited by this rule.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'La
Posts: 780

Re: FAQs for every codex - finally!

Post#17 » Jan 27 2017 06:51

fraction64 wrote:I will point out that in a related answer they say that a model can only have a single relic or equivalent. That still confuses the issue.
Also special characters have been known to carry more than one relic.

It does seem strange that Tau would be the only army to not be limited by this rule.

It does but at the same time we have entries that specifically allow us to take more than one (and i'm not necessarily talking about the ambiguous plural of item being used but instead of the Crisis Shas'Vre one).

User avatar
Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Posts: 475

Re: FAQs for every codex - finally!

Post#18 » Jan 28 2017 04:12

Edit: Whoops, I need to work on my reading comprehension. Strike the next line.

You're referring to the MSSS and the C&CN, presumably, which state that they can both be used at the same time?

But I still think it worth discussion, so I'll leave the rest of my post up.

However, I'm coming to conclude that the wording is potentially ambiguous, and that in light of the FAQ and its broad language (Is the "unless explicitly stated" wording still there? I believe it is), ambiguous wording should not be enough.

"Can be used at the same time" could easily be meant to be understood as: when both Relic-wielders are part of the same unit, they can both be used during the same phase and the effects will stack.

More explicit language would have used the words "A model/The wielder can use both the MSSS and the C&CN at the same time..." or "...MSSS and the C&CN can be used by the wielder/model at the same time..."



Combine this with the fact that the wording for Relic list choices already tend to be ambiguously plural even in Codex: Space Marines ("may take items from the X, Y, and Relic lists"), and the special snowflake status of Tau Signature Systems seems harder and harder for me to justify (aside from some SS fluff, in which there are undoubtedly multiples of several Signature Systems floating around, though other Signature Systems - I'm looking at you, Talisman - are unique artifacts).

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'La
Posts: 780

Re: FAQs for every codex - finally!

Post#19 » Jan 28 2017 04:15

Unusualsuspect wrote:You're referring to the MSSS and the C&CN, presumably, which state that they can both be used at the same time?

However, I'm coming to conclude that the wording is potentially ambiguous, and that in light of the FAQ and its broad language (Is the "unless explicitly stated" wording still there? I believe it is), ambiguous wording should not be enough.

"Can be used at the same time" could easily be meant to be understood as: when both Relic-wielders are part of the same unit, they can both be used during the same phase and the effects will stack.

More explicit language would have used the words "A model/The wielder can use both the MSSS and the C&CN at the same time..." or "...MSSS and the C&CN can be used by the wielder/model at the same time..."



Combine this with the fact that the wording for Relic list choices already tend to be ambiguously plural even in Codex: Space Marines ("may take items from the X, Y, and Relic lists"), and the special snowflake status of Tau Signature Systems seems harder and harder for me to justify (aside from some SS fluff, in which there are undoubtedly multiples of several Signature Systems floating around, though other Signature Systems - I'm looking at you, Talisman - are unique artifacts).


No I don't. I said what I'm refering to.

EDIT: Guess I was a bit fast with my reply. :D
I totally agree with your point about MSSS and C&CN. It was always just a hint but never a strong argument in favour of being able to take multiple ones.

User avatar
SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Posts: 350

Re: FAQs for every codex - finally!

Post#20 » Jan 28 2017 05:40

Unusualsuspect wrote:Edit: Whoops, I need to work on my reading comprehension. Strike the next line.

You're referring to the MSSS and the C&CN, presumably, which state that they can both be used at the same time?

But I still think it worth discussion, so I'll leave the rest of my post up.

However, I'm coming to conclude that the wording is potentially ambiguous, and that in light of the FAQ and its broad language (Is the "unless explicitly stated" wording still there? I believe it is), ambiguous wording should not be enough.

"Can be used at the same time" could easily be meant to be understood as: when both Relic-wielders are part of the same unit, they can both be used during the same phase and the effects will stack.

More explicit language would have used the words "A model/The wielder can use both the MSSS and the C&CN at the same time..." or "...MSSS and the C&CN can be used by the wielder/model at the same time..."



Combine this with the fact that the wording for Relic list choices already tend to be ambiguously plural even in Codex: Space Marines ("may take items from the X, Y, and Relic lists"), and the special snowflake status of Tau Signature Systems seems harder and harder for me to justify (aside from some SS fluff, in which there are undoubtedly multiples of several Signature Systems floating around, though other Signature Systems - I'm looking at you, Talisman - are unique artifacts).

While most datasheets do say, "may take items from the X, Y, and Relic lists" the Tau Commander's data sheet very specifically excludes the X and Y. "May take items from the Signature Systems List" is it's own bullet point, following the ability to take a limited number of hard points in another bullet.

As it stands, nowhere in the BRB does it suggest that a relic is intended to be one-per-model across the board. Any indications of limitation are found only within the individual codices themselves. And Tau don't have those limitations included. Most other codices have specific limitations spelled under the wargear list. "May exchange one weapon for one relic." "A model may select one of these." That sort of thing. Tau's only limitation here is "Only one of each Signature System can be taken per army."

If the "only one relic" thing was an official errata, and not official FAQ, i'd be more inclined dismantle the buffmander and meleemander lists.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest