Fortification rules question

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Prophet224
Shas'Saal

Fortification rules question

Post#1 » Mar 03 2017 11:39

Hello everyone!

I am brand new to ATT, brand new to Tau, and brand new to 40k in general. Yikes.

I'm trying to be careful about where I post this, building or rules, but while it is about building, I don't think the Earth Caste handles this kind of question.

So, once I decided I was going to play, started building and playing, and then painting, I started researching too.

I built my first ADN before I was finished building my Tau "Start Playing" set. Then I saw some of the cool things on Pinterest and thought "I can do that". Both the ADN and the fortification shown below were either complete or in progress before I realized "Hey wait, there are actually rules for these things!"

So here is my question. I put together the fortification shown below. It is bare bones because once I realized this possible issue I didn't want to continue work. It is about 12 inches high. From what I am seeing, that is non-standard. It also has battlements, but if I understand movement correctly that is quite a bit to reasonably move in a turn; basically you'd have a unit out of action for a full turn. OR - do the rules allow you to enter through an approved access point and then just exit through another one even if it is farther away than normal? I know there is a building ability that puts an exit like 12 inches away... (Note that the building does not show access points yet. I plan to put one on the battlement later.)

Finally, what about a special rule - "Battle Elevator" - a unit may enter and is lifted quickly to a battle position, allowing egress ... I don't know, in the following movement phase?

Anyway, like I said - work in progress. I just don't want to do anything more with it right now if it turns out it is just way too tall to be feasible or legal. It is tall enough that it definitely gives a line of sight advantage.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La

Re: Fortification rules question

Post#2 » Mar 04 2017 04:46

First of all, being that tall&wide and blocking line of sight is a large part of what a building should do, it may even be preferable to just say it's impassable terrain...

from rulebook:
"Battlements are treated as an Access Point for their building, meaning that a unit inside the building can disembark onto the battlements, or vice-versa. Note that impassable buildings that have battlements may still not be entered, although units can use their battlements."

So... unless you make the building "enterable", you can move on the battlements only if you can make > 12" move. Technicaly that would be a dick building, since you could just deploy/infiltrate on it, so house ruling it as if it was lower should be fine.

Prophet224
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Mar 04 2017 09:33

Thank you for the reply! That makes sense about blocking line of sight and whatnot. I guess the main concern was that I want it to be useable, and yes enterable (when I am done). I'd really like it to be something that could either be placed for use by either side who gets to it, or infiltrated onto (as you mentioned), or used in a scenario, like a fortress assault.

I don't think I understand the last sentence though. Please forgive me if I am just missing it. If it is a building that would be uncool to use, would you just house rule line of sight? *EDIT - I think I see what you mean now, you would house rule movement onto it. However, I am going to make it enterable. So does its greater height make it a jerk building too or is it ok, just tall?*

I stopped where I did because I was considering actually cutting the sucker down by 3-4 inches before completing it, but wasn't sure if it was as much of an issue as I was worried it would be.

Thank you again!

Gragagrogog
Shas'La

Post#4 » Mar 04 2017 05:31

Well, there's this thing.... 14" tall.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Fo ... Redemption

Prophet224
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Mar 16 2017 11:43

Sorry for the lag in response...

Ok, that image answers my question right there! Applying a point value to my monstrosity may be a little tricky but it sounds and looks like it will be legal. Thank you!

I look forward to posting completed pics before too long.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”