Master of War - Kauyon or Mon'tka - Once per game. Period?

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Master of War - Kauyon or Mon'tka - Once per game. Period?

Post#1 » Jun 15 2017 02:33

Quick question.

Say I have 4 commanders in my army. My understanding is you can Kauyon 4 times (on 4 different turns) throughout the game.

However reading closer it might be that you can only declare Kauyon once no matter how many commanders you have (unless you have Shadowsun and she declares the 2nd one).

What's the consensus on this?

BillyBones
Shas'La

Re: Master of War - Kauyon or Mon'tka - Once per game. Period?

Post#2 » Jun 15 2017 02:43

I would believe, that it is once per commander.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 15 2017 02:46

Master of War: Once per battle, at the beginning of your turn, a single friendly COMMANDER can declare either Kauyon or Mont'ka

Above for reference.

I believe the intent is for you to only be able to either ability once. Multiple commanders does not mean you can use Kauyon more than once per battle

Peregrim
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 15 2017 02:59

It's once per battle, not once per Commander. However Shadowsun and Farsight allow you to declare either Kauyon or Mont'ka an additional time each battle.

BillyBones
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jun 15 2017 03:02

Again excellent design on GW's part, with multiple commanders we are paying for ability which can't be used.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jun 15 2017 03:15

BillyBones wrote:Again excellent design on GW's part, with multiple commanders we are paying for ability which can't be used.

Seriously, the Commander is so incredibly efficient for its cost...finding something to complain requires a special kind of skill. :D
I rather have it this way than him costing 100+ points more just so we can spam his ability in case we actually field a Commander heavy list.

relasine
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jun 15 2017 03:24

Panzer wrote:...in case we actually field a Commander heavy list.

I think that's a forgone conclusion for the foreseeable.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jun 15 2017 03:29

relasine wrote:
Panzer wrote:...in case we actually field a Commander heavy list.

I think that's a forgone conclusion for the foreseeable.

But no justification. It would just turn the whole situation around and make it suck for "normal" lists that only want to field one Commander because suddenly you pay a ton of points for something that only matters if you'd spam that unit.

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 15 2017 04:08

Having it one use per game doesnt make sense.

Many other factions have hqs with AURAS (not even activated) which straight up gove rerolls to hit.

We have a once per turn ability where we cant even move (when Tau is now a mobility focus army).

It makes more sense from a consistent design perspective for the ability to be once per turn.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jun 15 2017 04:25

Heldericht wrote:Having it one use per game doesnt make sense.

Many other factions have hqs with AURAS (not even activated) which straight up gove rerolls to hit.

We have a once per turn ability where we cant even move (when Tau is now a mobility focus army).

It makes more sense from a consistent design perspective for the ability to be once per turn.

Not really.
Other factions characters who have auras that allow rerolls to hit are usually named characters.
Regular Captains or whatever usually have Auras that allow reroll of 1s. The same we can do with a single Markerlight, Multi-Tracker on Suits; being near Shadowsun or a nearby Ethereal if we stay stationary.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”