Fireblade's volley fire with drones

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Fireblade's volley fire with drones

Post#1 » Jul 06 2017 05:55

The quote, for reference if you don't have your index handy:

"Volley fire: Models in <SEPT> units within 6" of any friendly <SEPT> Cadre Fireblades may fire an extra shot with pulse pistols, pulse carbines and pulse rifles when shooting at a target within half the weapon's range."

As it doesn't specify infantry only, drones can use this ability. Though a kroot shaper with pulse rifle cannot, as it isn't <SEPT>.

But unlike fire warriors and pathfinders, drones carry two guns. Can they fire an extra shot per model (5 shots total) or an extra shot per pulse carbine (6 shots total) within 9"?

Sorry if this is a silly question, the rule seems rather ambiguous (and not just regarding the question I asked!)

Shas'O Bentu'nan
Shas'Saal

Re: Fireblade's volley fire with drones

Post#2 » Jul 06 2017 06:49

I took it to mean 6 shots at 9". Lots of dakka for our little friends! run a large squad (or many small squads to mitigate drones apparent fear) with a drone controler and you got an impressive array of firepower at close range.
Commander wiseblade

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 06 2017 06:58

This is a really good question. By my reading of the rules I'd say it's one extra shot per model, not per gun, but the argument really isn't that strong. If you think it's one shot per gun, I'd say go for it and we'll see if a future FAQ takes care of the issue.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 06 2017 08:30

I'd say it's per weapon and not per model.

It is:
Models [...] may fire an extra shot with [weapon] when shooting at a target within half the weapon's range.

Not:
Models [...] with [weapon] may fire an extra shot when shooting at a target within half the weapon's range.

I can't explain it well as english is not my native language but I hope you understand what I want to say;
the rule doesn't say a model equipped with a weapon from the list is able to fire another shot.
Instead it says a model's weapon fires the extra shot.

(German rule is also pretty clear on this)

Ko'Vash
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 06 2017 10:49

This seems to be the correct interpretation to my mind, as well.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 07 2017 06:33

Yes, an extra shot per weapon, so having two weapons that are marked by the wording mean 2 extra shot just as 4 weapons mean 4 extra shots

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 07 2017 08:11

If you can fit:
- mass of drones at 9" of target
- 5 MLs
- drone controller
- cadre fireblade

Said drones become MURDERIFIC!
You'll need 62 drones to kill a Land Raider in one go, if my calcs are correct
22 to kill a Predator
18 to kill a Ghost Ark
9 to kill a Raider
4 to kill a Terminator

sadly, Darkstrider won't work with them...

Quorgyle
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 07 2017 08:33

Now that you guys mention drones, let's say you have 6 drones and arrange them in a line. Then you have an enemy unit to the left side of the drone squad, let's say 5" away. You also have an enemy unit to the right side which is 7" away. The rules says that drones need to shoot at the closest enemy unit. But in this instance, as the drones are in a long line, for some drones the left unit will be the closest enemy unit, and for some the right unit will be the closest one. Does the drone unit split it's fire depending on models that are closest or do they fire together at the left unit as it is 5" away?

If it's a bit hard to imagine, I can try to make a sketch in paint. :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Jul 07 2017 08:46

Quorgyle wrote:Now that you guys mention drones, let's say you have 6 drones and arrange them in a line. Then you have an enemy unit to the left side of the drone squad, let's say 5" away. You also have an enemy unit to the right side which is 7" away. The rules says that drones need to shoot at the closest enemy unit. But in this instance, as the drones are in a long line, for some drones the left unit will be the closest enemy unit, and for some the right unit will be the closest one. Does the drone unit split it's fire depending on models that are closest or do they fire together at the left unit as it is 5" away?

Drones fire at the nearest unit, on a model-by-model basis.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jul 07 2017 08:47

Quorgyle wrote:Now that you guys mention drones, let's say you have 6 drones and arrange them in a line. Then you have an enemy unit to the left side of the drone squad, let's say 5" away. You also have an enemy unit to the right side which is 7" away. The rules says that drones need to shoot at the closest enemy unit. But in this instance, as the drones are in a long line, for some drones the left unit will be the closest enemy unit, and for some the right unit will be the closest one. Does the drone unit split it's fire depending on models that are closest or do they fire together at the left unit as it is 5" away?

I'm not 100% certain: I don't have my index in front of me, but I think the rule is that the unit must fire at the closest target, not the models.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Quorgyle
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jul 07 2017 08:58

For those without a rulebook close by:

"Threat Identification Protocols: In the Shooting phase,
Gun Drones can only target the nearest visible enemy
unit. If two units are equally close, you may choose
which is targeted"

Yes, you target the closest unit, but where does it state that the whole drone unit shoots at the same target? I think this is not completely clear.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Jul 07 2017 09:09

Quorgyle wrote:For those without a rulebook close by:

"Threat Identification Protocols: In the Shooting phase,
Gun Drones can only target the nearest visible enemy
unit. If two units are equally close, you may choose
which is targeted"

Yes, you target the closest unit, but where does it state that the whole drone unit shoots at the same target? I think this is not completely clear.

If it was the closest unit to the Gun Drone unit, it would say "this unit can only target the nearest visible enemy unit." I think it's supposed to mean that the Drones each shoot at the model closest to them, on a model-by-model basis.

Where this not the case, it would be possible that Drones are forced to target models that are out of range!

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jul 07 2017 09:13

It's possible that two enemy units are equally close if part of your drone unit is closer to Enemy Unit 1 and another part is closer to Enemy Unit 2 (although this is admittedly quite a self-serving interpretation).

Quorgyle
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jul 07 2017 09:15

I also think that you measure every drone model separate.

http://i.imgur.com/FUjD0TN.jpg

On the image that I linked, drones 1-4 would shoot at the red target and drones 5-6 at orange target?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Jul 07 2017 09:31

Quorgyle wrote:I also think that you measure every drone model separate.

On the image that I linked, drones 1-4 would shoot at the red target and drones 5-6 at orange target?

Exactly.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#16 » Jul 07 2017 11:25

Quorgyle wrote:I also think that you measure every drone model separate.

I think you are right. It felt weird doing it in my last game but with every model choosing its own target in 8th that looks like the correct interpretation.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Jul 07 2017 11:34

The rule says: "In the Shooting phase, Gun Drones can only target the nearest visible enemy unit."

As the unit is called Tactical Drones, I think it's per model basis

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#18 » Jul 07 2017 01:05

...Hrm.

What is an extra shot, exactly?

Is it a single extra attack (and if so, why not use the word attack, like it does in the Shooting Phase rule language, instead of an undefined term like "shot" that could get so easily confused with the act of "shooting" a weapon)?

That is, does an extra "shot" of a weapon means you fire the weapon twice, i.e. you shoot the weapon twice, or do you normally fire X shots/attacks when shooting a weapon, and you merely fire X+1 when boosted by a Fireblade?

Obviously, the community's reading of the rule is that an extra shot is nothing more and nothing less than an extra attack, and that is my presumption of RAI and HIWPI as well... but an entertaining technical question to ask, IMO.

Why? Because 8 shots per drone make me laugh uproariously - outputs as many shots as Conscripts using FRFSRF, but with +2 S. :P

Return to “Rules & FAQ”