What happens to the attached gun drones if a devilfish dies?

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

What happens to the attached gun drones if a devilfish dies?

Post#1 » Jul 26 2017 05:10

99% sure on this, but just want to double-check.

When a devilfish (or other vehicle) dies, what happens to the drones? Are they just removed as part of the vehicle, without giving away additional kill points?

Can you choose to disembark them as you would passengers, rolling to see if they take damage?

Xanrag
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: What happens to the attached gun drones if a devilfish dies?

Post#2 » Jul 26 2017 05:27

The rule that they died with the vehicle was removed in 8th edition. In my opinion they work like regular passengers and must be forced to disembark, possibly dying if the vehicle exploded.

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 26 2017 05:30

True, the rule says they are treated as being embarked, so I'm going to treat them like passengers.
Man, us tau have a lot of available kill points. I hope that doesn't end up being a big concern for me..

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 26 2017 05:33

Secondary question:
When a vehicle dies without exploding, you check if any passengers die.
If the vehicle also explodes, do those disembarking passengers take more wounds from the explosion?

Ko'Vash
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 26 2017 06:22

Negative. The explosion only affects those on the table at the time. They are not on the table until afterwards, as per the faq.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 26 2017 06:26

Jburli wrote:True, the rule says they are treated as being embarked, so I'm going to treat them like passengers.
Man, us tau have a lot of available kill points. I hope that doesn't end up being a big concern for me..

ITC, in one of the (few good) changes they made towards the game, ruled that in KP missions units are worrth their Power Level, not 1. So a unit of 2 drones are pretty much nothing compared to a Devilfish, for example

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#7 » Jul 26 2017 09:05

Any embarked units in a vehicle when its destroyed rolls a d6 for each model in it. Remove 1 model for each roll of 1.

I believe that's the rule, I could be wrong. It might be 1 mortal wound for each 1, but I think it's just remove a model.

This being the case on the embarked drones, roll 2d6, each 1 kills a drone.
If kroot eat orks, doesn't that make them omvivores?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Jul 26 2017 10:14

Dark Hope wrote:This being the case on the embarked drones, roll 2d6, each 1 kills a drone.

Exactly. If there are Drones attached, and a unit inside, and a character (total 14 models), then you roll 14D6 and you choose which models die. So they Drones can die to keep embarked Fire Warriors alive, etc.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 27 2017 07:33

Dark Hope wrote:Any embarked units in a vehicle when its destroyed rolls a d6 for each model in it. Remove 1 model for each roll of 1.

I believe that's the rule, I could be wrong. It might be 1 mortal wound for each 1, but I think it's just remove a model.

First part is accurate, not the second part. Multiwound models in vehicles when they explode REALLY hurts when you chuck ones. I'm looking at you Nobz in a battlewagon!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jul 27 2017 08:54

Yojimbob wrote:
Dark Hope wrote:Any embarked units in a vehicle when its destroyed rolls a d6 for each model in it. Remove 1 model for each roll of 1.

First part is accurate, not the second part. Multiwound models in vehicles when they explode REALLY hurts when you chuck ones. I'm looking at you Nobz in a battlewagon!

That's why you gotta have a few chaff models in there too. No more Marneus Calgar getting a Land Raider taxi all by himself!

Return to “Rules & FAQ”