Untouchable ghostkeels

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal
Posts: 533
Contact:

Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#1 » Aug 19 2017 12:13

So I'm not sure if this is covered anywhere but with the ghostkeels suit and drones it provides -2 to hit from being shot more than 12" away.

I can't see any rules saying 6 is an automated hit so if say ork lootas shot at a ghostkeel does that mean they automatically miss because they need a 5+ to hit but if they roll a 6 they actually only have a 4?

User avatar
Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 955

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#2 » Aug 19 2017 12:41

Yes. This helps vs renegades & heretics too.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#3 » Aug 19 2017 06:37

Yep, if the enemy requires a 7+ to hit your model, they can't hit unless they have some positive to-hit modifier.

Note that it counts for us as well and at times even worse since we only have BS4+ on most units. If you play a nightfighting mission where you get a negative to-hit modifier depending on the range and maybe even face some Alpha Legion or Raven Guard you won't hit anything unless you get real close. ;)

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal
Posts: 533
Contact:

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#4 » Aug 20 2017 06:44

Does it work both ways so if a unit has 5 markerlight on it the a Commander hits automatically? If so no danger of CIB backfire :D

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#5 » Aug 20 2017 06:48

Nymphomanius wrote:Does it work both ways so if a unit has 5 markerlight on it the a Commander hits automatically? If so no danger of CIB backfire :D

No, 1s always miss. :D

User avatar
Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 410

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#6 » Aug 20 2017 12:46

Panzer wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:Does it work both ways so if a unit has 5 markerlight on it the a Commander hits automatically? If so no danger of CIB backfire :D

No, 1s always miss. :D


"Backfire" was probably meant as inflicting wound to the shooting model here... 1's on hit rolls will still miss regardless of modifiers, but the result of a dice roll for the purpose of "get's hot" is determined after modifiers, so with +1 mod to hit rolls, you can never roll 1, regardless of your ballistic skill. Note that when shooting with -1 mod, it backfires on both 1 and 2, as 1 stays 1, 2 becomes 1...

If this is unclear, you might wanna read designers commentary, stepping into 8th ed...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-2/

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal
Posts: 533
Contact:

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#7 » Aug 20 2017 01:18

Gragagrogog wrote:
Panzer wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:Does it work both ways so if a unit has 5 markerlight on it the a Commander hits automatically? If so no danger of CIB backfire :D

No, 1s always miss. :D


"Backfire" was probably meant as inflicting wound to the shooting model here... 1's on hit rolls will still miss regardless of modifiers, but the result of a dice roll for the purpose of "get's hot" is determined after modifiers, so with +1 mod to hit rolls, you can never roll 1, regardless of your ballistic skill. Note that when shooting with -1 mod, it backfires on both 1 and 2, as 1 stays 1, 2 becomes 1...

If this is unclear, you might wanna read designers commentary, stepping into 8th ed...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-2/


So if a space marine fired a plasma cannon at a ghostkeel it needs a 5+ to hit but kills himself on a 1,2 or 3? That's too funny :D

User avatar
Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 410

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#8 » Aug 20 2017 01:24

Yep, that's why the overcharged shooting probably won't happen in the first place... If I'm not mistaken, all such weapons have an option to not overcharge...

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal
Posts: 533
Contact:

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#9 » Aug 20 2017 03:11

Gragagrogog wrote:Yep, that's why the overcharged shooting probably won't happen in the first place... If I'm not mistaken, all such weapons have an option to not overcharge...


At tournament level you're probably right but some people I know at the local gaming club will shoot overcharge first, ask questions later.

They are space marine players after all :D

Dekifelipe
Shas
Posts: 13

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#10 » Nov 03 2017 07:25

So if a gjostkeel is shooted at from 12" he hs -1 plus stealth drones give him -1? But there are 2 drones so doesnt it mean -3 to hit?

User avatar
Rayscarnage
Shas'Saal
Posts: 25

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#11 » Nov 03 2017 07:52

by Dekifelipe » Nov 03 2017 08:25

So if a gjostkeel is shooted at from 12" he hs -1 plus stealth drones give him -1? But there are 2 drones so doesnt it mean -3 to hit?


Nope the way it is written is that If the ghostkeel is close to a drone. one or two makes no difference

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#12 » Nov 03 2017 08:01

Dekifelipe wrote:So if a ghostkeel is shot at from 12" he has -1 plus stealth drones give him -1? But there are 2 drones so doesn't it mean -3 to hit?

No, it's in the wording. He gets the -1 from the Stealth Drones only once no matter how many are in range.

Dekifelipe
Shas
Posts: 13

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#13 » Nov 03 2017 08:18

Oh ok! Tnx! So if its in more than 12" its -2 to hit and if it is inside 12" it is only -1 becouse of drones? Does it count for the CC as well?

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#14 » Nov 03 2017 08:22

Dekifelipe wrote:Oh ok! Tnx! So if its in more than 12" its -2 to hit and if it is inside 12" it is only -1 becouse of drones? Does it count for the CC as well?

That's right. It doesn't count for cc though since the text says against shooting (unlike for Stealth Suits where their rule works even in CC).

Dekifelipe
Shas
Posts: 13

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#15 » Nov 03 2017 08:28

Panzer wrote:
Dekifelipe wrote:Oh ok! Tnx! So if its in more than 12" its -2 to hit and if it is inside 12" it is only -1 becouse of drones? Does it count for the CC as well?

That's right. It doesn't count for cc though since the text says against shooting (unlike for Stealth Suits where their rule works even in CC).



Thank you very much :)

User avatar
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 654

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#16 » Nov 03 2017 09:12

Panzer wrote:Yep, if the enemy requires a 7+ to hit your model, they can't hit unless they have some positive to-hit modifier.

Note that it counts for us as well and at times even worse since we only have BS4+ on most units. If you play a nightfighting mission where you get a negative to-hit modifier depending on the range and maybe even face some Alpha Legion or Raven Guard you won't hit anything unless you get real close. ;)

The Alaitoc Craftworld power does the same thing: -1 to hit from more than 12" away. It seems like a fairly common thing for GW to put in codices nowdays. I just hope that not every army gets it, because that'll pretty much be the bane of us.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#17 » Nov 03 2017 09:16

Bloodknife92 wrote:
Panzer wrote:Yep, if the enemy requires a 7+ to hit your model, they can't hit unless they have some positive to-hit modifier.

Note that it counts for us as well and at times even worse since we only have BS4+ on most units. If you play a nightfighting mission where you get a negative to-hit modifier depending on the range and maybe even face some Alpha Legion or Raven Guard you won't hit anything unless you get real close. ;)

The Alaitoc Craftworld power does the same thing: -1 to hit from more than 12" away. It seems like a fairly common thing for GW to put in codices nowdays. I just hope that not every army gets it, because that'll pretty much be the bane of us.

AM and Tyranids didn't get it at least. And GK didn't either though they already are a subfaction so they're a special case.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal
Posts: 533
Contact:

Re: Untouchable ghostkeels

Post#18 » Nov 03 2017 11:54

Panzer wrote:
Bloodknife92 wrote:
Panzer wrote:Yep, if the enemy requires a 7+ to hit your model, they can't hit unless they have some positive to-hit modifier.

Note that it counts for us as well and at times even worse since we only have BS4+ on most units. If you play a nightfighting mission where you get a negative to-hit modifier depending on the range and maybe even face some Alpha Legion or Raven Guard you won't hit anything unless you get real close. ;)

The Alaitoc Craftworld power does the same thing: -1 to hit from more than 12" away. It seems like a fairly common thing for GW to put in codices nowdays. I just hope that not every army gets it, because that'll pretty much be the bane of us.

AM and Tyranids didn't get it at least. And GK didn't either though they already are a subfaction so they're a special case.


I don't think we will get it either would be too strong on an army designed to stay at distance at all times.
Though tyranids did get unlimited cover regardless of unit type so 2+ carnifex yay :P

Return to “Rules & FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest