Shield Generators and Tanking wounds with a Crisis team

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Drannen
Shas

Shield Generators and Tanking wounds with a Crisis team

Post#1 » Sep 17 2017 10:53

So, I ran into an interesting rules conundrum recently.

I was running a three man crisis squad, one shas'vre with shield gen. The unit had taken one wound previously, and was allocated to one of the other suits.

Here's where it gets squirrely; The unit was shot at with a Vindicator cannon, negating armor saves.

I chose to allocate the wounds to the Shas'vre with the shield gen to get his invulnerable save. No damage went through that, but if they had, they would have taken out the already wounded suit.

Is this legal given the rule in the BRB that says "the controlling player allocates the WOUND to any model in the unit, but if a model has already taken damage the the DAMAGE must be allocated to that model first."

The distinction between Wound and Damage was my rationale for doing this wound shuffling, but what's your view on this in this specific circumstance?

I'm not sure it'd be legal for one suit to be tanking with an SG all game, and passing wounds on to the other suits, but when a suit has already taken wounds, is this a plausible move?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Shield Generators and Tanking wounds with a Crisis team

Post#2 » Sep 17 2017 11:10

That's really interesting. Would need to check the wording of things after work.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Sep 18 2017 02:52

Drannen wrote:I chose to allocate the wounds to the Shas'vre with the shield gen to get his invulnerable save. No damage went through that, but if they had, they would have taken out the already wounded suit.

You can't allocate the wound to an unwounded model if there's a wounded model in the target unit and from the point you allocate a wound on certain model, the same model makes saves and loses wounds if fails the saves. (assuming no drones or bodyguards are in play...)

3. Allocate Wound: If an attack
successfully wounds the target,
the player commanding the
target unit allocates the wound to
any model in the unit (the chosen
model does not have to be within
range or visible to the attacking
unit). If a model in the target
unit has already lost any wounds,
the damage must be allocated to
that model

Ye, it's badly worded, but it's "allocate wound" step, and if you read the next step of attack resolution, it's clear that when they say "damage" here, they mean "wound".

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 18 2017 03:18

Well if that's the wording then RAI is clear but RAW you can actually do that I'd say. Needs an Errata to change 'damage' into 'wound' asap.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”