Character Targeting rules

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Character Targeting rules

Post#1 » Sep 20 2017 05:06

I'm a bit confused about the rules regarding the targeting of characters. As I understand it, your opponent cannot target your character models unless they are the closest unit, with the explicit exception of units using the sniper rules. However, my friend (who plays Deathwatch) seems convinced that he can outright shoot my commander using his Corvus Blackstar from 24" away. I can't find anything about this rule in my battle primer (which may be because I haven't looked hard enough. That's not the point anyway). So what exactly are the proper rules regarding character targeting???
Igne vir renovatur integra

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Re: Character Targeting rules

Post#2 » Sep 20 2017 06:07

Base rule book page 179: Sidebar titled Characters.

"A CHARACTER can only be chosen as a target in the Shooting phase if they are the closest visible enemy unit to the model that is shooting. This does not apply to CHARACTERS with a Wounds characteristic of 10 or more, due to their sheer size."

So yeah no, the Corvus can't just pop out and gack your Commander unless its the closest visible unit of your army. Put a couple shield drones in front of your commander and let them tank it.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Sep 20 2017 06:42

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:I'm a bit confused about the rules regarding the targeting of characters. As I understand it, your opponent cannot target your character models unless they are the closest unit, with the explicit exception of units using the sniper rules. However, my friend (who plays Deathwatch) seems convinced that he can outright shoot my commander using his Corvus Blackstar from 24" away. I can't find anything about this rule in my battle primer (which may be because I haven't looked hard enough. That's not the point anyway). So what exactly are the proper rules regarding character targeting???

Weird. The Corvus doesn't have any special targeting rules. Does your friend say that he can shoot your Commander because he's using a Corvus Blackstar, or because he's targeting your Commander? I mean, both are incorrect (the Commander can not be targeted), but what's your friend's reasoning?

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Sep 20 2017 08:26

Arka0415 wrote:
Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:I'm a bit confused about the rules regarding the targeting of characters. As I understand it, your opponent cannot target your character models unless they are the closest unit, with the explicit exception of units using the sniper rules. However, my friend (who plays Deathwatch) seems convinced that he can outright shoot my commander using his Corvus Blackstar from 24" away. I can't find anything about this rule in my battle primer (which may be because I haven't looked hard enough. That's not the point anyway). So what exactly are the proper rules regarding character targeting???

Weird. The Corvus doesn't have any special targeting rules. Does your friend say that he can shoot your Commander because he's using a Corvus Blackstar, or because he's targeting your Commander? I mean, both are incorrect (the Commander can not be targeted), but what's your friend's reasoning?

Becuase he's tagreting my commander. In all honesty, he just started playing, and he's not really that good at the hobby. He's already gone out and shelled nearly 1 grand (AU) on a warhound titan, and he doesn't read any of the correct rules. He also hates Tau. I'm friends with him outside of Warhammer, so I do know him pretty well.
Igne vir renovatur integra

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Sep 20 2017 11:13

Well he is clearly wrong.
There are three ways to target a character that is not the closest:
- using a sniper unit
- the character has 10 or more wounds (not remaining wounds, the stat on the Datasheet counts)
- shooting at him outside of the shooting phase (aka Overwatch etc.)

Either he learns to sit down for 5 minutes and read his rules or he'll be extremely unhappy with the game and regret spending all the money. In any case you shouldn't give in to his laziness and insinst on using the right rules.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Sep 21 2017 04:11

We're missing one key detail here. You state that, and I quote:
"However, my friend (who plays Deathwatch) seems convinced that he can outright shoot my commander using his Corvus Blackstar from 24" away"
You never said whether something was closer and visible to the Corvus Blackstar or not. If the Corvus is closer to your Commander than any of your other units, then it can most certainly shoot at your Commander. If however, another unit of yours, say, some pathfinders, is closer, then the Corvus Blackstar cannot target the Commander.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Return to “Rules & FAQ”