Rule question regarding Shadowsun's drones.

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
PuppetMaster
Shas

Re: Rule question regarding Shadowsun's drones.

Post#19 » Oct 02 2017 01:52

Although new to the game, just looking at it from a semantic and grammar structure there are a few ways to break it down.

1 MV62 Command-Link Drone and up to 2 MV52 Shield Drones."

It is clear that 3 is max from before. The "and up to" COULD refer to just the shield drones. Although I'd argue 0 shield drones could be chosen, it is possible to argue it says 2-3 drones total (1 of each being mandatory). This is by just looking at the wording here and not taking into account rulings with similar wording I am unfamiliar with or other places in codex/rules.

It could also be implied to the sentence as a whole, since there is no full break or "," dividing the semantic reference. In this case all drones would be optional with max values for each type (1 & 2 for a total not exceeding 3).

Similar word rulings since before is probably the closest one will get.
If I played another army and the opponent tau showed me it asking for ok to go with their list, I would not mind. If forced to make a ruling with no more data, I'd say 1 + 0-2 for 1-3 drones.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Oct 02 2017 04:08

Lostroninsoul wrote:I guess it depends on what your army list is made of. I like the idea of her giving my path finders the ability to reroll 1's with thier marker lighters before the slaughter begins. Or in a pinch she can buff herself and hit some elite unit. It's like a markerlighter, extra wound for 6 points. Or help if your markerlights are of a low count in your army list. Would probably work best on a Kroot unit. They have OK shooting and OK melee, what ever they are assaulting is probably not important enough for markerlights and so Shadowsun buff helps the large count of both types of hit rolls

I keep an Ethereal on my backlines in a 6" bubble with my Pathfinders and Broadsides for rerolls of 1's. Shadowsun is usually deployed in the front with a Ghostkeel with Multitracker and 6 Stealths all with multitrackers as well.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Oct 02 2017 08:20

PuppetMaster wrote:Although new to the game, just looking at it from a semantic and grammar structure there are a few ways to break it down.

1 MV62 Command-Link Drone and up to 2 MV52 Shield Drones."

Welcome aboard, comrade. :) Anyways your analysis is great. It does lacks an explanation for the colon GW used in the description of what Shadowsun can take. I believe that colon in critical for shadowsun's correct interpretation, and colons can be used as an expansion of an explanation.
"She is accompanied by up to 3 Command Drones: 1 MV62 Command-Link Drone and up to 2 MV52 Shield Drones."

That colon is important.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Oct 05 2017 02:24

Ok let's look at this from another point of view.

If this was a breakfast menu amd you ordered the English breakfast that comes with bacon, sausage, eggs, and beans and can be accompanied by up to 3 extra sides: 1 black pudding and up to 2 pieces of toast.

Would you say you have to have the black pudding?

I wouldn't and the same applies to shadowsun and her drones you can have that 1 command drone if you so wish but it is by no means mandatory.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Oct 05 2017 02:28

If the Command-Link Drone were mandatory it would've been listed seperately as:
"She is accompanied by 1 MV62 Command-Link Drone and up to 2 MV52 Shield Drones."
instead of
"She is accompanied by up to 3 Command Drones: 1 MV62 Command-Link Drone and up to 2 MV52 Shield Drones."

The wording is pretty clear, really.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Oct 05 2017 03:10

Nymphomanius wrote:If this was a breakfast menu amd you ordered the English breakfast that comes with bacon, sausage, eggs, and beans and can be accompanied by up to 3 extra sides: 1 black pudding and up to 2 pieces of toast.

I like this analogy! The trick is that the phrase "can be accompanied by" comes before the Command-Link Drone (or black pudding).

Return to “Rules & FAQ”