Rule question regarding Shadowsun's drones.

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Haechi
Shas'Saal

Rule question regarding Shadowsun's drones.

Post#1 » Sep 30 2017 07:50

I need help with the wording for Shadowsun's drone.

"She is accompanied by up to 3 Command Drones: 1 MV62 Command-Link Drone and up to 2 MV52 Shield Drones."

What is mandatory? Can she have zero drones? Can she have only on shield drone? Can she have 2 shield drones but no Command Link drone?

Thank you for your input on the question.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Rule question regarding Shadowsun's drones.

Post#2 » Sep 30 2017 08:20

I read this as 0-3.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 30 2017 10:16

Having the model myself, I agree with Gragagrogog.

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 30 2017 11:05

Yes, the drones are an optional upgrade for Shadowsun. The wording is a bit funky, but you are not locked in to your drone choices with her.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Sep 30 2017 05:56

Alright, thanks guys =]

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Sep 30 2017 06:50

Uhm, I think the command link drone is a must have.
It says "up to 3 drones" and "up to 2 shield drones" but not "up to 1 command link drone".
I see it as 1-3 drones and one has to be a command link drone. (So 0-2 shield drones)

armisael
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Sep 30 2017 09:31

Agreed with Ricordis, except for “her command-link drone is a mandatory”. imo, she can freely chooes her drone but at least have to take 1 (either command-link or MV52 Shield Drone)

Her rule say that “She is accompanied by up to 3 command drones” while the other, Commander for example, say that “It may be accompanied by up to 2 tactical drone”

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Oct 01 2017 03:06

armisael wrote:Agreed with Ricordis, except for “her command-link drone is a mandatory”. imo, she can freely chooes her drone but at least have to take 1 (either command-link or MV52 Shield Drone)

Her rule say that “She is accompanied by up to 3 command drones” while the other, Commander for example, say that “It may be accompanied by up to 2 tactical drone”

So you would say she has to have at least one drone but it doesn't have to be the command link one?

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Oct 01 2017 04:12

Hmm, I wonder if this would be more clear if we'd invent language after the concept of zero.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Oct 01 2017 04:49

Gragagrogog wrote:Hmm, I wonder if this would be more clear if we'd invent language after the concept of zero.

I'm asking you guys because English isn't my native language.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Oct 01 2017 06:22

armisael wrote:Agreed with Ricordis, except for “her command-link drone is a mandatory”. imo, she can freely chooes her drone but at least have to take 1 (either command-link or MV52 Shield Drone)

That wording doesn't tell us anything. "up to" includes 0 as well.

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Oct 01 2017 09:01

After re-reading the entry for Shadowsun I still believe her drones to be an option, not mandatory. It is just saying that out of the 3 drones she can take only 1 may be a command-link drone.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Oct 01 2017 09:49

While not having any drones is optional[, imo.] Why would you want to skip out on the command drone? Lol

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Oct 01 2017 10:53

Lostroninsoul wrote:While not having any drones is optional[, imo.] Why would you want to skip out on the command drone? Lol

If you have multitrackers already, yes =]

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Oct 01 2017 07:01

"She is accompanied by up to 3 Command Drones: 1 MV62 Command-Link Drone and up to 2 MV52 Shield Drones."

I emphazise it:

"She is accompanied by [...] Drones: 1 MV62 Command-Link Drone [...]."

1 is a 1, not 0 to 1. This is a fix number. How is it even possible to read that as an option? o.O

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Oct 01 2017 08:00

Battlescribe marks the Command Link as a automatic choice included in the points cost. So Yeah, the shield drones are optional, but the command drone is a definate.
For the Tau'va ATT!!!

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Oct 01 2017 11:44

I emphazise it:

"She is accompanied by [...] Drones: 1 MV62 Command-Link Drone [...]."

1 is a 1, not 0 to 1. This is a fix number. How is it even possible to read that as an option? o.O

I checked BattleScribe and in 2 different data libraries she has the command drone as optional. If you exclude it you won't have any list validation errors. So I don't actually think it sides with mandatory drone. The programmers for the two databases haven't made it mandatory either as an error or because they believe it's optional too.

Also BattleScribe, is not GW. I believe it's optional not based on BattleScribe allowing me to cut it out (which it does), I believe it's optional because GW states it can take UP TO 3 drones(aka 0-3). They use ":" to clarify what TYPES those drones absolutely HAVE to be.
If the command drone wasn't meant to be optional they would probably have worded it like this ' She is accompanied by 1 MV62 Command-Link Drone and up to 2 MV52 Shield Drones.' this is literally less work and writing to validate your point of view, but they didn't.
(Disclaimer) Still, this is all my opinion.

If you have multitrackers already

I guess it depends on what your army list is made of. I like the idea of her giving my path finders the ability to reroll 1's with thier marker lighters before the slaughter begins. Or in a pinch she can buff herself and hit some elite unit. It's like a markerlighter, extra wound for 6 points. Or help if your markerlights are of a low count in your army list. Would probably work best on a Kroot unit. They have OK shooting and OK melee, what ever they are assaulting is probably not important enough for markerlights and so Shadowsun buff helps the large count of both types of hit rolls

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Oct 02 2017 01:12

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:Battlescribe marks the Command Link as a automatic choice included in the points cost. So Yeah, the shield drones are optional, but the command drone is a definate.

Battlescribe is no good reference for rules questions. It's not an official list building app and only made by some people from the community. There are plenty mistakes all the time.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”