Rerolls and modifiers

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: Rerolls and modifiers

Post#73 » Oct 09 2017 12:16

Any further discussion on the Mod/Poster relationship in this instance can be continued via PM by the relevant parties.

However it is a requirement that all members of ATT should read, understand and follow the site rules and guidelines:
The Admin team may warn, delete, or ban users whose posts consistently fail to meet the criteria explained in our Membership Primers, which all members of ATT are expected to have read and understood before posting. Reasonable allowances will be made for those members for whom English is a second language.

Membership & Forum Rules

Now back on topic folks...

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Re: Rerolls and modifiers

Post#74 » Oct 11 2017 06:00

Panzer wrote:The one who wrote the article also makes the same assumption as most players do currently to make GWs FAQ work with their Core rules.
That you have to check for success before applying modifier as well as after. Again, that's nowhere stated in the Core rules or FAQ but unless you do that their FAQ doesn't work with "re-roll failed rolls" abilities.
Which was my point all the time. GW nowhere says we have to do that, it's just what we do to make two pieces of their rules work. It's a bandaid. Hence why I wish GW would stop ignoring that problem and address it in their FAQ/Errata...or at least on facebook but even there they keep quiet.

I've reread this a couple times to make sure I am best undertsanding you. It seems your issue is that there is an assumption of a "double check for failed hit rolls" when it's not in any rules from gw and conflicts directly with the rules "You can never re-roll a dice more than once, and re-rolls happen before modifiers (if any) are applied.’" because a second check is doing exactly that. Am I understanding your issue correctly?

For convenience here are some of the rules in effect

July 2017 FAQ page 1: ERRATA
Page 178 – Re-rolls
Change this paragraph to read:
‘Some rules allow you to re-roll a dice roll, which means you get to roll some or all of the dice again. If a rule allows you to re-roll a result that was made by adding several dice together (e.g. 2D6, 3D6, etc.) then, unless otherwise stated, you must roll all of those dice again. You can never re-roll a dice more than once, and re-rolls happen before modifiers (if any) are applied.’

Per page 181 of the hard cover rule book under Resolve Attacks: " 1. Hit Roll: Each time a model makes an attack , roll a dice . If the roll is equal to or greater than the attacking model's Ballistic Skill characteristic, then it scores a hit with the weapon it is using. If not, the attacks fails and the attack sequence ends. A roll of 1 always fails, irrespective of any modifiers."

I think the issue for a second check isn't an issue with the core rules at all. I think it stems from abilities that allows you to have said re-roll of a failed hit and overriding core rules. If it's an ability rule, then it should allow you to override core rules. If ability rules aren't allowed to override certain rules when applicable then abilities like "fighting retreat" on Darkstrider wouldn't be a valid ability. I'll have to check the rules to see if they say abilities can override core rules. I play magic the gathering and they have an ability can override rules clause there, so it's possible I maybe falsely assuming Warhammer 40k has something similar to that. I'll look into it :).
Absolute worst case scenario GW gave us the most important rule on page 180.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”