Vertical charging

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
armisael
Shas'Saal
Posts: 7

Vertical charging

Post#1 » Oct 07 2017 09:35

Hi all Tau Friend,

I have some questtion about vertical charging.
If my fire warriors are on the top of the building and cover all area in that floor. Is that mean my fire warriors are immuned from assult?

How about, big unit that can fly (i.e. Mortarion)?. He can’t finished charge move within 1” because there is no area to place him (top of the building is a very small area)

Someone say that we have to use wobbly model syndrome in this situation. Does it apply to big unit that has no chance to place in the area at the first place?

Thank you guys!

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1507

Re: Vertical charging

Post#2 » Oct 07 2017 10:32

If the Fire Warriors do, in fact, cover the entire floor, then they'd be immune to charges. "Wobbly Model Syndrome" doesn't mean that models can sneak into places they wouldn't otherwise be able to go. Rather, it means that you can keep them safe and aren't forced to put them in dangerous/unstable positions.

User avatar
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 535

Re: Vertical charging

Post#3 » Oct 07 2017 10:44

I did that with my Riptide in one game. Couldn't be charged because the floor was smaller than its base, therefore no models could join him up there :)
The days of goodly English is went

armisael
Shas'Saal
Posts: 7

Re: Vertical charging

Post#4 » Oct 07 2017 10:57

Arka0415 wrote:If the Fire Warriors do, in fact, cover the entire floor, then they'd be immune to charges. "Wobbly Model Syndrome" doesn't mean that models can sneak into places they wouldn't otherwise be able to go. Rather, it means that you can keep them safe and aren't forced to put them in dangerous/unstable positions.


What about enemy infantry unit? they can climb the wall

Nymphomanius
Shas
Posts: 118
Contact:

Re: Vertical charging

Post#5 » Oct 08 2017 01:20

armisael wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:If the Fire Warriors do, in fact, cover the entire floor, then they'd be immune to charges. "Wobbly Model Syndrome" doesn't mean that models can sneak into places they wouldn't otherwise be able to go. Rather, it means that you can keep them safe and aren't forced to put them in dangerous/unstable positions.


What about enemy infantry unit? they can climb the wall


If thw firewarriors cover the whole roof to the point where there isn't anywhere that an opposing model could be placed within 1" then no.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1507

Re: Vertical charging

Post#6 » Oct 08 2017 01:32

armisael wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:If the Fire Warriors do, in fact, cover the entire floor, then they'd be immune to charges. "Wobbly Model Syndrome" doesn't mean that models can sneak into places they wouldn't otherwise be able to go. Rather, it means that you can keep them safe and aren't forced to put them in dangerous/unstable positions.


What about enemy infantry unit? they can climb the wall

Even if they can climb the wall, if they can't stand on top they can't go on top. Look at this example:

Image
^ Beautiful MSPaint skills :D

On top of the building are 8 Fire Warriors (orange). At the bottom are 5 Tactical Marines (blue). If the Tactical Marines declare a charge, the Fire Warriors get to overwatch. Then the Tactical Marines roll their charge, but even if they succeed they can't really place any models up on top of the building, as the space is basically entirely made up of Fire Warriors.

Wobby Model Syndrome means that you can put models on slopes, or ramps, or uneven terrain. It doesn't mean that you can place models where they physically can't go.

User avatar
Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui
Posts: 1081

Re: Vertical charging

Post#7 » Oct 08 2017 03:55

Situation happens with a group of crisis + drones on the top of a 4" building charged by hormagaunta and flying tyrant in 7th edition.
Gaunts and flying tyrants were able to cover the distance from their position but could not fit.
Then we placed all models at the base of the building and do the fight, casualties at the the end of the turns allow the remaining gaunts to be placed on the building alongside the two crisis and one drone.

We thought that the flyrant was a flying model so can hover around the platform to fight, and that gaunts were climbing and punching their claws over the border.
But it was an old version, and I don't know if 8th get fight the same way.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1507

Re: Vertical charging

Post#8 » Oct 08 2017 05:13

Kael'yn wrote:Situation happens with a group of crisis + drones on the top of a 4" building charged by hormagaunta and flying tyrant in 7th edition.
Gaunts and flying tyrants were able to cover the distance from their position but could not fit.
Then we placed all models at the base of the building and do the fight, casualties at the the end of the turns allow the remaining gaunts to be placed on the building alongside the two crisis and one drone.

We thought that the flyrant was a flying model so can hover around the platform to fight, and that gaunts were climbing and punching their claws over the border.
But it was an old version, and I don't know if 8th get fight the same way.

I think, at the end of the day, it really isn't an issue in 8th. If the building is big, you probably can't cover the top. If the building is small, just shoot one model off, pop a charging model up there, and then everyone can attack because they can 'chain' off the model who breached the top of the building.

Nymphomanius
Shas
Posts: 118
Contact:

Re: Vertical charging

Post#9 » Oct 08 2017 07:14

Arka0415 wrote:
Kael'yn wrote:Situation happens with a group of crisis + drones on the top of a 4" building charged by hormagaunta and flying tyrant in 7th edition.
Gaunts and flying tyrants were able to cover the distance from their position but could not fit.
Then we placed all models at the base of the building and do the fight, casualties at the the end of the turns allow the remaining gaunts to be placed on the building alongside the two crisis and one drone.

We thought that the flyrant was a flying model so can hover around the platform to fight, and that gaunts were climbing and punching their claws over the border.
But it was an old version, and I don't know if 8th get fight the same way.

I think, at the end of the day, it really isn't an issue in 8th. If the building is big, you probably can't cover the top. If the building is small, just shoot one model off, pop a charging model up there, and then everyone can attack because they can 'chain' off the model who breached the top of the building.


Um no to fight a model must be within 1" of an enemy model ot within 1" of a model within 1" of an enemy, if 1 marine is on the top floor the others won't be within 1"

User avatar
Jhi'Myr
Shas'Saal
Posts: 7
Contact:

Re: Vertical charging

Post#10 » Oct 08 2017 08:45

Arka0415 wrote:
Kael'yn wrote:Situation happens with a group of crisis + drones on the top of a 4" building charged by hormagaunta and flying tyrant in 7th edition.
Gaunts and flying tyrants were able to cover the distance from their position but could not fit.
Then we placed all models at the base of the building and do the fight, casualties at the the end of the turns allow the remaining gaunts to be placed on the building alongside the two crisis and one drone.

We thought that the flyrant was a flying model so can hover around the platform to fight, and that gaunts were climbing and punching their claws over the border.
But it was an old version, and I don't know if 8th get fight the same way.

I think, at the end of the day, it really isn't an issue in 8th. If the building is big, you probably can't cover the top. If the building is small, just shoot one model off, pop a charging model up there, and then everyone can attack because they can 'chain' off the model who breached the top of the building.

Even if you could chain melee swings (which you can't) a smart,commander would let the model in the middle of the unit die. You'd charge, get one model to attack, and then that one model would drown in return swings. Then that unit would retreat and spread itself out a bit more, or perhaps consolidate to cover the floor if the TO is lax enough, and you've lost the roof again.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1507

Re: Vertical charging

Post#11 » Oct 08 2017 11:01

Nymphomanius wrote:Um no to fight a model must be within 1" of an enemy model ot within 1" of a model within 1" of an enemy, if 1 marine is on the top floor the others won't be within 1"

Ah, you're right. Models get extended range when checking for vertical coherency, but that doesn't extend to combat. Thanks!

Return to “Rules & FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest