Imperium Detachments

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Imperium Detachments

Post#1 » Oct 18 2017 09:27

Question: Can imperials take ANY imperial unit in the same detachment.

For example
Could I have a Supreme Command detachment with:
Celestine (Sisters of Battle)
Company Commander (Imperial Guard)
Terminator Captain (Space Marines)

OR

Do detachments participants have to be from the same sub faction (e.g. all guard) but you can have detachments from different imperial factions?

Either way, anyone else even a little bit salty about the fact that imperium players get to pick from literally 60% of all units to comprise their army of?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Imperium Detachments

Post#2 » Oct 18 2017 09:35

Imperium armies really can take whatever they want! However, they pay for this versatility by losing access to all army-specific strategems, traits, chapter tactics, you name it. Put Ultramarines and Cadians in the same detachment, and you lose the "Codex Discipline" and "Born Soldiers" perks. Worth it? Depends on the army I guess.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Oct 18 2017 09:39

Yeah they can take any unit with the Imperium faction keyword. Same goes for Chaos with the Chaos keyword etc.
Here's hope that GW will expand the T'au Empire faction with Auxilliaries as well.

On that note though, if the Imperium player mixes Astra Militarum and Space Marine (for example) in the same detachment he'd lose all the Chapter and AM special rules and access to those Stratagems.
However he can take a SM detachment and a AM detachment and would be able to use the special rules etc. again. It's a minor thing but pretty important on tournaments with a detachment limit and something to keep in mind because it also means one has to take additional HQs and minimum amount of units.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 18 2017 01:45

As above, yes they can. Here is why they lose those bonuses though.

When you make a Detachment, you apply a primary keyword to it. Units in that detachment all have to have that keyword. As long as they share it, its kosher.

Regiment Doctrines, Chapter Tactics, and other similar special rules are applied at the Detachment level. So Imperium Detachments can take Imperium special rules. Space Marine Detachments can take Space Marine special rules (like Chapter Tactics and stratagems). Astra Militarum Detachments can take Astra Militarum special rules (Regiment Doctrines and strategems). But this doesn't flow down. Its a straight 1:1 match. So just because Astra Militarum is part of the Imperium, and Imperiam Detachment does not count as an Astra Militarum detachment.

The trick to get around this is to have multiple detachments, one for each faction. This would allow each faction to retain its special rules. This got brought up in the Chaos and Death Guard FAQs, and also specifically mentioned Stratagems. Stratagems from the Chaos Space Marine codex could apply to Death Guard if both a Chaos Space Marine and Death Guard detachment were both on the table, as long as the stratagem was keyed to the Chaos Space Marine keyword (which Death Guard also have).

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 18 2017 06:24

QimRas wrote:The trick to get around this is to have multiple detachments, one for each faction. This would allow each faction to retain its special rules. This got brought up in the Chaos and Death Guard FAQs, and also specifically mentioned Stratagems. Stratagems from the Chaos Space Marine codex could apply to Death Guard if both a Chaos Space Marine and Death Guard detachment were both on the table, as long as the stratagem was keyed to the Chaos Space Marine keyword (which Death Guard also have).

If an Imperium player does this, I don't mind. It makes a cool, unique army, and the synergies are compartmentalized enough that it wouldn't feel too overpowered.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 18 2017 11:27

Yeah I'm actually pro mixed armies. It's cool and thematic and we don't have the super best friends deathstat problem of 7th.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 19 2017 03:07

It can create some scary scenarios with multiple detachments.

Nothing stopping you from taking for example
Cadian spearhead detachment with just a commanding and platoon officer and 3 heavyweapon Lascannon teams so can all reroll all hits every turn.

A catachan spearhead lemun Russ detachment for reroll 1 random shot dice per tank each time it fires.

A white scars outrider detachment with 3 bike squads

An "imperial" vanguard detachment with an Admech techpriest to heal your tanks and then 3 Imperial assassins (techpriest won't get canticles or dogma however)

Just as an example.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Oct 19 2017 03:20

Not gonna deny that. The more freedom to combine stuff you have the higher are the chances to find some nasty combo. I still like it though. Now GW just has to provide everyone a similar amount of options to combine stuff (Tyranids can do it via Genestealer Cult actually, Necrons and Orks would be a problem, we could have a lot more options with Auxilliary forces if GW decides to provide them over the course of the next few years).

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Oct 19 2017 03:21

Nymphomanius wrote:It can create some scary scenarios with multiple detachments.

Cadian spearhead detachment with just a commanding and platoon officer and 3 heavyweapon Lascannon teams so can all reroll all hits every turn.

A catachan spearhead lemun Russ detachment for reroll 1 random shot dice per tank each time it fires.

An "imperial" vanguard detachment with an Admech techpriest to heal your tanks and then 3 Imperial assassins (techpriest won't get canticles or dogma however)

Just as an example.

In tournaments these kinds of shenanigans are limited by the 3 detachment limit.

For narrative games, I think this just brings the kind of flavor to those games that they deserve.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Oct 19 2017 03:40

QimRas wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:It can create some scary scenarios with multiple detachments.

Just as an example.

In tournaments these kinds of shenanigans are limited by the 3 detachment limit.

For narrative games, I think this just brings the kind of flavor to those games that they deserve.

Just an example and I'm not saying its a bad thing but in some cases it can be really cool and fluffy, but I know if I had a guard army I'd be bringing a vindicare and possibly an eversor assassin to every game :D

Return to “Rules & FAQ”