Drone unit coherency.

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Renzar
Shas

Drone unit coherency.

Post#1 » Oct 19 2017 04:29

I'm a new player to 40k and have fallen in love with the Tau completely. I don't truly understand how the drones are setup after being purchased with a unit.

Example: I bring 3 XV8 crisis suits and pay for each of them to bring 2 drones. Do I now have 3 units of 2 drones each or do I have one unit of 6 drones?

DancinHobo
Shas

Re: Drone unit coherency.

Post#2 » Oct 19 2017 04:41

I believe it's one unit of 6. That's how I play it.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Oct 19 2017 05:54

Check out the rules for drones in your index. It tells you how they are set up.

When you set up (through normal deployment or deepstrike) a unit that has purchased drones, you set those drones up along with the unit in coherency. From that point on the drones act as a different unit.

Think of it as the crisis suit team dropping down and the drones drop down with them, but the drones then go on to do their own thing.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Oct 19 2017 06:23

Renzar wrote:Example: I bring 3 XV8 crisis suits and pay for each of them to bring 2 drones. Do I now have 3 units of 2 drones each or do I have one unit of 6 drones?

You'd have one unit of drones. AnonAmbientLight's answer is right- they arrive in coherency, then operate by themselves.

While the drones technically can run off and do their own thing, tactically speaking the drones are best used to shield the XV8s from harm and add some extra closer-range anti-infantry firepower. So, while they're a separate unit, the XV8s and drones should work closely together.

Renzar
Shas

Post#5 » Oct 20 2017 07:27

Thanks! I knew about the coherency but I guess it just wasn't processing correctly for me. I was thinking since each suit could take 2 that those 2 would be the ones that stayed together. Thanks for the assist!

Return to “Rules & FAQ”