Multiple For the greater good assist

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Multiple For the greater good assist

Post#1 » Oct 21 2017 02:51

So I was having a disagreement with some friends.

A squad of breachers got charged and a Stealth suits team and the breachers drones wanted to assist with FTGG.

3 of us argued that as it says "a unit with this rule may also fire overwatch"

The other 2 of us (me and my actual opponent oddly so we used this interpretation for our game) believe that the wording simply allows a unit to assist with overwatch and if it was limited to 1 it would say "a single unit" or something else about only 1 being able to assist at any one time

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Re: Multiple For the greater good assist

Post#2 » Oct 21 2017 03:19

Basically if a unit has the rule and is in range to do so, it can overwatch using ftgg. Your whole army could potentially fire into the same overwatch if you had a strong enough reason for them to do so.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Oct 22 2017 02:12

The rule is on page 48.

When an enemy unit declares a charge, a unit with this ability that is within 6in of one of the charging unit's targets may fire overwatch as if they were also targeted. A unit that does so cannot fire overwatch again in this turn.

We will use OPs example. So your breachers get charged. Your breachers having FTGG is not what is triggering FTGG. The stealth suit's and drone's FTGG is being triggered because they are within 6in of the breachers, who are being charged.

The stealth suits and the drones get to fire overwatch, but they cannot fire overwatch again in this turn. This means if they get charged, or if your breachers are charged again, the stealth suits and drones cannot shoot.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 22 2017 03:46

The argument that the other guys were having is that says "a unit" implying 1 not "any unit"

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 22 2017 04:28

Nymphomanius wrote:The argument that the other guys were having is that says "a unit" implying 1 not "any unit"

The wording here actually is ambiguous. I'd be curious to see if GW would comment if someone asked on their FB page or something.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Oct 22 2017 10:33

Nymphomanius wrote:The argument that the other guys were having is that says "a unit" implying 1 not "any unit"

The reason why you're confused is that the rule buffs a single unit. It's not an AoE buff like the ethereal. So the wording is in the singular, but the rule is meant to effect multiple units.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Klapaucius87
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 22 2017 10:28

I had a similar discussion with a friend.
Is not the charged unit that call for help, but is the nearby unit that join.
The rule is in singular because it get triggered from a unit for itself only.
If multiple unit join the overwatch is because the rule get called multiple times.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”