Are ethereals killing our troops? Calm of tides question

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Are ethereals killing our troops? Calm of tides question

Post#1 » Nov 04 2017 06:28

So here's the scenario, I'm expecting loses next turn and instead of strength of stone I use calm of tides for the ethereal evocation of the elements.
My squad of 10 firewarriors takes 6 casualties, thanks to ld9 and calm of tides only a 5+ will cause any extra losses.
I roll a 6 yay bonding knife ritual no damage, or it it? Does calm of tides make it a 5 which means I actually take 2 losses? If so what's the point of calm of tides at all as it affects nothing?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Are ethereals killing our troops? Calm of tides question

Post#2 » Nov 04 2017 06:38

That's right. Don't use calm of tides. The interaction of Bonding Knife Ritual and that ability is not very thought through by GW. Just use sense of stone to save maybe one Firewarrior instead. It's basically the same effect on the morale test but without ruining your roll of 6.

That being said, there are some few morale test modifier in the game where it could make a bit of sense to use Calm of Tides. It's VERY situational though.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 04 2017 07:01

Yikes. I admit I don't think I ever read that rule thoroughly. I think I assumed it was -1 to morale losses, instead of morale checks.

With that in mind, Sense of Stone may be the only good Ethereal ability. Zephyr's Grace is pretty bad, Calm of Tides is bad on all units except Drones, and Storm of Fire requires you to stand still.

...and I might stop taking Aun'va.

Edit: Read my next post. "Calm of Tides" does reduce morale losses, it does not subtract 1 from D6 rolls.
Last edited by Arka0415 on Nov 04 2017 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 04 2017 07:17

Arka0415 wrote:Yikes. I admit I don't think I ever read that rule thoroughly. I think I assumed it was -1 to morale losses, instead of morale checks.

With that in mind, Sense of Stone may be the only good Ethereal ability. Zephyr's Grace is pretty bad, Calm of Tides is bad on all units except Drones, and Storm of Fire requires you to stand still.

...and I might stop taking Aun'va.

Calm of Tides would be nice on Drones...if they could benefit from it. Unfortunately they aren't infantry nor Battlesuits. ;)

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 04 2017 07:20

Calm of the tides is a better kroot buff

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Nov 04 2017 07:40

Well, I'm definitely wrong about the Drones, but I think I'm right about Calm of Tides! Check out this quote from the rulebook:

To take a Morale test, roll a dice and add the number
of models from the unit that have been slain this turn.
If the result of the Morale test exceeds the highest
Leadership characteristic in the unit, the test is failed.

A morale test is not a dice roll. Rather, a morale test is the addition of the result of a dice roll to the the number of models killed during that turn. So, we get the following flowchart:

1. Roll a D6.
2. Is the result a 6? If you have "Bonding Knife Ritual" then pass, if not, continue to #3.
3. Add the number of slain models to the result of the D6.
4. Subtract 1 from that number if "Calm of Tides" is in effect.
5. Compare this value to the LD characteristic of the unit.
6. If the result lower than the LD characteristic of the unit? If so, pass, if not, continue to #7.
7. Remove one model for each point the morale test is failed by.

So, Calm of Tides doesn't kill Fire Warriors! It doesn't interact with the dice roll, but rather, with the result of the morale test.
Last edited by Arka0415 on Nov 06 2017 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Nov 06 2017 10:21

This (for the morale stuff) added a little text for clarity

Arka0415 wrote:Well, I'm definitely wrong about the Drones, but I think I'm right about Calm of Tides! Check out this quote from the rulebook:

To take a Morale test, roll a dice and add the number
of models from the unit that have been slain this turn.
If the result of the Morale test exceeds the highest
Leadership characteristic in the unit, the test is failed.

A morale test is not a dice roll. Rather, a morale test is the addition of the result of a dice roll to the the number of models killed during that turn. So, we get the following flowchart:

1. Roll a D6.
2. Is the result a 6? If so, pass, if not, continue to #3. -> Bonding Knife Ritual
3. Add the number of slain models to the result of the D6.
4. Subtract 1 from that number if "Calm of Tides" is in effect.
5. Compare this value to the LD characteristic of the unit.
6. If the result lower than the LD characteristic of the unit? If so, pass, if not, continue to #7.
7. Remove one model for each point the morale test is failed by.

So, Calm of Tides doesn't kill Fire Warriors! It doesn't interact with the dice roll, but rather, with the result of the morale test.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Nov 06 2017 08:15

StealthKnightSteg wrote:This (for the morale stuff) added a little text for clarity.

Thanks. Edited for clarity.

In case people come by this thread, "Calm of Tides" does not kill any units. Invoke away! :biggrin:

Return to “Rules & FAQ”