Codex, Index and other rules

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Kerrygan
Shas

Codex, Index and other rules

Post#1 » Nov 07 2017 10:23

Hello, I'm starting with 40k, and I see that the rules (game rules and army rules) are distributed for many books/supplements, or am I wrong?
If yes, which are these?
I read about one called "Imperial Armour"?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Kerrygan on Nov 07 2017 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Re: Codex, Index and other rules

Post#2 » Nov 07 2017 10:32

8th edition rulebook, 8th edition kodexes, in case they didn't release yet (like tau one) then Indexes (index xenos 2 for tau), imperial armour books are ment for models sold by Forge world (imperial armour xenos for tau)

then there are bunch of different rulebooks that contain rules for special game modes, but you should be fine with just base rulebook an index

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 07 2017 11:04

For now, you will need:

1. Warhammer 40k Core Rules
2. Index: Xenos 2

Index: Xenos 2 is the book that contains the Tau rules. However, probably early next year, the Tau will get a new rulebook, called a Codex. So when that comes out, you will need:

3. Codex: Tau Empire

Finally, this is totally optional, but if you want to use unique Forge World models (they make unique and collectable models, and are a subsidiary of Games Workshop) then you will need:

4. Imperial Armor Index: Xenos

Hope that helps!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 08 2017 02:17

Arka0415 wrote:For now, you will need:

1. Warhammer 40k Core Rules
2. Index: Xenos 2

Index: Xenos 2 is the book that contains the Tau rules. However, probably early next year, the Tau will get a new rulebook, called a Codex. So when that comes out, you will need:

3. Codex: Tau Empire

That being said "early next year" means in about 4 months according to the latest rumour (we don't have any credible source on that one though).

Also there's a Chapter Approved book coming christmas which gives additional rules and point adjustments. See it as a supplement for the current edition and an update for all the existing armies.
The latest rumour on this one talks about not just point adjustments but also relics and armywide rules for us and other armies that don't have their Codex yet.
(For those interested: http://natfka.blogspot.de/2017/11/chapter-approved-2017-coming-in.html )

szeszej
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 08 2017 02:52

As for the core rules - the ones available online for free are mostly all you need. The only important things not covered by them are (afaik) detachment (army building), terrain and scenario rules.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 08 2017 03:07

szeszej wrote:As for the core rules - the ones available online for free are mostly all you need. The only important things not covered by them are (afaik) detachment (army building), terrain and scenario rules.

Yeah and because those things aren't included there, I'd say the free rules are almost worthless if you want to play the game properly.

szeszej
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 08 2017 03:25

Panzer wrote:
szeszej wrote:As for the core rules - the ones available online for free are mostly all you need. The only important things not covered by them are (afaik) detachment (army building), terrain and scenario rules.

Yeah and because those things aren't included there, I'd say the free rules are almost worthless if you want to play the game properly.

Well, they aren't that complicated. Army building can easily be done with an app (Battlescribe, etc.), and terrain and scenario rules aren't that hard to remember. If you have anyone that can teach you the game, the most important things (the things that actually let you play the game) will still be found in the free rules.

That said - of course buy the core rulebook if you want. It has a lot of cool (although optional) features :)

Return to “Rules & FAQ”