Fast dice rolling and saviour Protocol

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Nymphomanius
Shas

Fast dice rolling and saviour Protocol

Post#1 » Nov 10 2017 10:19

So another discussion on the forum got me thinking.

Attacks are meant to be rolled individually and are rolled I'm groups to save time.

So if an opponent fires Ap0 weapons at some suits with 6 drones nearby and causes 6 wounds but I know he has a heavy support thing (I.e predator, the Russ, fire prisms etc...) you obviously want some drones to survive but don't want to lose a suit.

When it comes to decisions on saviour Protocol vs taking the armour save can I do it 1 at a time and see how it goes or would you say as my opponent rolled them together I have to make a decision on the group of wounds before rolling?

Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Re: Fast dice rolling and saviour Protocol

Post#2 » Nov 10 2017 10:30

We've always played it 1 at a time. If I have a group of 3 Crisis and 6 Drones, I'll often pop 2 drones and then make 4 more armour saves for the Crisis suits. If I begin to fail too many armour saves, I can then choose to take the remaining wounds on the drones. If you have Shield Drones in that group of 6, it makes sense to do them one at a time as well considering the Feel No Pain they get.
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 10 2017 10:31

Nymphomanius wrote:When it comes to decisions on saviour Protocol vs taking the armour save can I do it 1 at a time and see how it goes or would you say as my opponent rolled them together I have to make a decision on the group of wounds before rolling?

Yeah you can totally do that. If it's only small arms I usually roll two dice on a full wound Crisis until I lose one or two wounds. If I lose one I continue with rolling only one dice at a time until I lost the second wound as well. If I'm down to one wound I'll put the wounds on Drones.
It's fun when the opponent zergs your Crisis down to 1 wound just to get his remaining small arms soaked up by Drones and then his serious shooting (a Lascannon for example) only does 1 damage because you only had 1 wound left. :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Nov 10 2017 10:41

Panzer wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:When it comes to decisions on saviour Protocol vs taking the armour save can I do it 1 at a time and see how it goes or would you say as my opponent rolled them together I have to make a decision on the group of wounds before rolling?

Yeah you can totally do that. If it's only small arms I usually roll two dice on a full wound Crisis until I lose one or two wounds. If I lose one I continue with rolling only one dice at a time until I lost the second wound as well. If I'm down to one wound I'll put the wounds on Drones.
It's fun when the opponent zergs your Crisis down to 1 wound just to get his remaining small arms soaked up by Drones and then his serious shooting (a Lascannon for example) only does 1 damage because you only had 1 wound left. :D

Absolutely. Die efficiently for the greater good!

xDefiantx
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 10 2017 11:57

For my own clarity here, with Errata 1.0 wording change to Saviour Protocol it goes

1. Roll to hit
2. Roll to wound
3. Take armor save if available
4. If failed, allocate to drone
5. Make FnP on drone?

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#6 » Nov 10 2017 12:06

xDefiantx wrote:For my own clarity here, with Errata 1.0 wording change to Saviour Protocol it goes

1. Roll to hit
2. Roll to wound
5. Make FnP on drone?

No take out number 3 you either take a save or take a MW on a drone

xDefiantx
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 10 2017 12:12

Nymphomanius wrote:
xDefiantx wrote:For my own clarity here, with Errata 1.0 wording change to Saviour Protocol it goes

1. Roll to hit
2. Roll to wound
5. Make FnP on drone?

No take out number 3 you either take a save or take a MW on a drone

Ok winning that clears that up.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Nov 10 2017 10:19

Yeah, the proper flowchart would be:

1. Roll to hit
2. Roll to wound
3. Choose whether or not to use Savior Protocols. If no, proceed, if yes, skip to (a).
4. Roll to save
5. Calculate damage
6. Roll "FNP" saves if applicable

(a) One drone suffers a mortal wound
(b) Roll "FNP" saves if applicable
Last edited by Arka0415 on Nov 13 2017 06:00, edited 1 time in total.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Nov 13 2017 05:46

Arka0415 wrote:Yeah, the proper flowchart would be:

1. Roll to hit
2. Roll to wound
3. Choose whether or not to use Savior Protocols. If yes, proceed, if no, skip to (a).
4. Roll to save
5. Calculate damage

?? point 3.. you mean: If no, proceed, if yes, skip to (a)..
Choose whether or not to use Savior Protocols.. If you choose to use it aka yes.. then you would go to (a).. or is my english understanding taking a flight now..

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Nov 13 2017 06:00

StealthKnightSteg wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Yeah, the proper flowchart would be:

1. Roll to hit
2. Roll to wound
3. Choose whether or not to use Savior Protocols. If yes, proceed, if no, skip to (a).
4. Roll to save
5. Calculate damage

?? point 3.. you mean: If no, proceed, if yes, skip to (a)..
Choose whether or not to use Savior Protocols.. If you choose to use it aka yes.. then you would go to (a).. or is my english understanding taking a flight now..

Typo? What typo? :D Fixed, thanks for pointing that one out.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Nov 14 2017 06:37

Nymphomanius wrote:So another discussion on the forum got me thinking.

Attacks are meant to be rolled individually and are rolled I'm groups to save time.

So if an opponent fires Ap0 weapons at some suits with 6 drones nearby and causes 6 wounds but I know he has a heavy support thing (I.e predator, the Russ, fire prisms etc...) you obviously want some drones to survive but don't want to lose a suit.

When it comes to decisions on saviour Protocol vs taking the armour save can I do it 1 at a time and see how it goes or would you say as my opponent rolled them together I have to make a decision on the group of wounds before rolling?

One way to decide the process is to figure out how many wounds you can "risk" on your suit. So if I have 6 wounds on my commander, and 4 shots coming in with a 3+ save, I figure that maybe one will go through (it's a dice game!). So I roll all 4 because I have wounds to spare and I can afford one or two wounds assuming I am lucky.

But what If I have 2 wounds remaining with 4 shots coming in with a 3+ save? I don't want to sacrifice my drones for small arms fire, so I am 100% allowed to roll the dice one at a time.

The only caveat to this is that I want to say the shooter gets to decide which wounds you roll on first. So if the shooter has plasma, and lasgun wounds, he can tell you to roll the plasma wound first.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Klapaucius87
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Nov 17 2017 04:31

AnonAmbientLight wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:So another discussion on the forum got me thinking.

One way to decide the process is to figure out how many wounds you can "risk" on your suit. So if I have 6 wounds on my commander, and 4 shots coming in with a 3+ save, I figure that maybe one will go through (it's a dice game!). So I roll all 4 because I have wounds to spare and I can afford one or two wounds assuming I am lucky.

But what If I have 2 wounds remaining with 4 shots coming in with a 3+ save? I don't want to sacrifice my drones for small arms fire, so I am 100% allowed to roll the dice one at a time.

The only caveat to this is that I want to say the shooter gets to decide which wounds you roll on first. So if the shooter has plasma, and lasgun wounds, he can tell you to roll the plasma wound first.

Each weapon is rolled separately, so you resolve them in the order they are shot.
I would add that the rules assume you one dice at a time anyway, so there is nothing wrong rolling saves one at time

Return to “Rules & FAQ”