Infiltrators question

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Orion7
Shas'Saal

Infiltrators question

Post#1 » Nov 29 2017 06:27

Hi,

So I'm building a cadre based on infiltrators and we had an issue with deployment (rules Vs logic)

So, I deployed shadowsun just outside their deployment zone outside of 9 inches from the nearest model to represent her already being in position.
He then places a unit right up close to her. Can I place the rest of her stealth suit team with her having "reserved" the space by showing there's already a stealth team in position, or do I have to leave shadowsun on her own with the stealth suits 9 inches away from her, leaving her vulnerable?

Limitations? You mean you don't want Fido the kroot hound as a character?

jens
Shas'Saal

Re: Infiltrators question

Post#2 » Nov 29 2017 06:47

Is he allowed to place his unit that close do to deploy zone? If so, I would say no you can't place another unit beside her.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Nov 29 2017 06:56

Sadly the Stealthsuits would need to be further away. This is why it usually isn't a good idea to deploy too close to the opponent's deployment zone.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Nov 29 2017 08:21

Or try to deploy infiltrators as late as possible.
Could also cause a backfire: My enemy put a Rhino that close to a ruin I couldn't place my Pathfinders there (mission gave my pathfinders the infiltrator-rule).

Duckumentary
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 29 2017 08:02

Generally I would recommend deploying Shadowsun and whatever retinue may accompany her (XV-25's, XV-95's) as your last units, allowing you to evaluate where the 'weakest link' is that you plan to break through. This will greatly reduce the risk of YOU being counter deployed and allows you to more effectively determine your best target and defensive positions. I will say, I had played against a SM opponent who had scouts which RAW were able to deploy +1" away from my stealth teams, as they were only restricted to being 9" away from the enemy deployment zone. However, it should be noted that the Errata states they must also be +9" away from enemy units as well. So don't let THAT happen, because it's illegal. Also, if you ARE in a situation where there are other infiltrators, I would say that is the one instance when you may want to deploy early in order deny your opponent optimal position.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 30 2017 05:13

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what your play style is.

Infiltrate works differently on different units and it can vary from army to army. The restrictions for T'au is that they cannot deploy in the enemy's deployment zone and it has to be 9'' away from an enemy unit at the moment of the T'au unit's placement. So if an enemy unit sets up within 9'' afterwards, you don't have to reposition.

This offers T'au a unique risk reward situation. If you're looking to be aggressive with them, then deploy them close as possible to a valuable target. The risk is going second or getting seized on. The reward is being able to do serious damage right away.

You don't always have to put them right at the feet of the enemy. Stealth Suits sitting midfield is just as potent of a threat as having them up close.

As far as when to deploy them, it all depends. Deploy them early if you plan to be super aggressive with them. Deploy them last if you have a more mid field objective in mind. It does require you to plan ahead though and it is more of a "thinking mans" unit in a way.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 01 2017 06:00

AnonAmbientLight wrote:It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what your play style is.

Infiltrate works differently on different units and it can vary from army to army. The restrictions for T'au is that they cannot deploy in the enemy's deployment zone and it has to be 9'' away from an enemy unit at the moment of the T'au unit's placement. So if an enemy unit sets up within 9'' afterwards, you don't have to reposition.

This offers T'au a unique risk reward situation. If you're looking to be aggressive with them, then deploy them close as possible to a valuable target. The risk is going second or getting seized on. The reward is being able to do serious damage right away.

You don't always have to put them right at the feet of the enemy. Stealth Suits sitting midfield is just as potent of a threat as having them up close.

As far as when to deploy them, it all depends. Deploy them early if you plan to be super aggressive with them. Deploy them last if you have a more mid field objective in mind. It does require you to plan ahead though and it is more of a "thinking mans" unit in a way.

So, I just found that it the hard way... Was trying to homing beacon in some XV8s into the middle of a load of adeptus mechanics to flame infantry and fusion blast dune crawlers. Nope. Wiped out in turn 1, only shadowsun survived

Limitations? You mean you don't want Fido the kroot hound as a character?

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Dec 01 2017 03:56

Orion7 wrote:
AnonAmbientLight wrote:It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what your play style is.

So, I just found that it the hard way... Was trying to homing beacon in some XV8s into the middle of a load of adeptus mechanics to flame infantry and fusion blast dune crawlers. Nope. Wiped out in turn 1, only shadowsun survived

Risk vs Reward my friend.

It may have been a stellar first turn for those Crisis Suits had you been able to pull that off though! How do you think it would have gone had they been able to get there first? Do you think it would have been worth it? Things to consider.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 02 2017 05:13

If Homing beacon is crucial than I always use a 6 man unit and place them in a really well covered place.

Aelfwyrd
Shas

Post#10 » Dec 02 2017 11:54

I always deploy at the 18in mark. If they go first or seize then they hopefully can't charge you. I want them to come to me so I hold off on using that beacon until 2nd turn. I currently don't run crisis suits, but I have a commander with a varied loadout. Flamers seem like a waste with bs 2

Return to “Rules & FAQ”