markerlights helping own unit

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

markerlights helping own unit

Post#1 » Dec 04 2017 11:07

I may be confusing myself with previous versions of the markerlight rules whereby a markerlight in a unit does NOT assist the rest of his unit.... can someone put me straight on this please?

e.g. a shas'ui firewarrior unit leader equipped with a markerlight shoots at the enemy and puts a markerlight token on the target. The rest of the unit shoots their pulse rifles but do NOT get a reroll on a 1 to hit as the unit is firing all weapons at the same time.

----

I've seen the FAQ on pathfinders shooting markerlights and they CAN help each other hit. I've been assuming only pathfinder markerlights do this as they are special. Am I wrong?

If so, what about the skyray which has 2 markerlights. Can it use them to allow it to launch it's seeker missiles?

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Re: markerlights helping own unit

Post#2 » Dec 04 2017 11:22

it doesn't matter which unit does the firing as it's about the general rule that all attacks are resolved one at a time. So you can choose to fire the ML first and the rest of the unit will benefit from it.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 04 2017 11:35

Except for Heavy Gun Drones from forge world which have special rule that they can't benefit from their unit's markerlights, even the model that fired the markerlight can benefit from it (if it can shoot again after shooting marker)

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Dec 04 2017 12:34

To put it even more specifically.

Technically, each shot is made on its own. we roll in batches because it usually does not matter-but with markers it CAN.

For example, a marker hit can improve the hit chances of another marker.

So you can (and should) roll your skyray markers one at a time, and if the first hits, the second benefits from the reroll to 1s.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 04 2017 04:47

To add to this.. why I don't see this happening in almost all of the T'au youtube battlereports is beyond me.. But then again more mistakes/forgetting rules happens in those..

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Dec 04 2017 05:03

A same unit can benefit from their own marker lights. You can even roll one dice for each ML in order to get the bonus for the rest of the shots. This was solved on Xenos 2 Faq.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Errata/Warhammer_40000/Index_Xenos2_ENG.pdf
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 6500 PTS

DancinHobo
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 04 2017 09:19

I roll 1 at a time until I get my first hit. Then I usually roll the rest, as the first hit is all that matters, unless my pathfinders moved. Then I roll 2 at a time until I have 3 hits. Then you can roll the rest.

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Dec 05 2017 07:14

Thanks everyone for clearing that up, seems pretty unanimous. And good news too :P
It was actually the pathfinder FAQ example that caused my confusion. I'd read it that pathfinders were a special case, but looking at the skyray with it's 2 markerlights puzzled me.

Cheers!

Making the Greater Good GREAT again!! :roll:

Return to “Rules & FAQ”