Drone Height Guidelines: Modeling for Advantage?

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
User avatar
gunrock
Shas
Posts: 110

Drone Height Guidelines: Modeling for Advantage?

Post#1 » Dec 26 2017 10:36

Let me preface this by saying, that this is in no way intended to inflammatory or resurrect a contentious topic, but I am genuinely unclear as to the legality of based on previous discussion.

I am currently in the process of basing all of my drones and am considering magnetizing my drone stands. Consequently, this might necessitate removing/adding a small amount of material (maybe 3-5mm). GW provides multiple heights for drones stands, and seems to depict multiple drone types using multiple types of stand. This seems to present an issue of 'modeling for advantage' as you can place drones on the lowest stand height to take advantage of cover.

A major component of this this is purely aesthetic: I like my gun drones to rest just above the head height of firewarrior's and just bellow arm level of an XV-8, marker drones to have the highest possible stand (in line with their role as spotters). Functionally, the lower stands make them less top-heavy which makes them a bit nicer to move around. There is a distinct 'advantage' in placing shield drones lower as they gain no benefit from being elevated and often want to be placed out of LOS.

So it this legal? Am I going to run into issues in a tournament environment? Is there a standard 'low' height that I can cut my stands down to without overstepping the boundaries of 'modeling for advantage'? Or can I cut my stands down to any reasonable intermediary height based on the unit and role they are intended to fill?

The idea of 'advantage' seems similarly open to interpretation, as a high stand might also constitute an advantage situationally.

Any guidance on this issue would be appreciated.

(link to older closed topic for reference)
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=24279
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

User avatar
TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 680
Contact:

Re: Drone Height Guidelines: Modeling for Advantage?

Post#2 » Dec 26 2017 02:56

gunrock

gunrock wrote:A major component of this this is purely aesthetic: I like my gun drones to rest just above the head height of firewarrior's and just bellow arm level of an XV-8, marker drones to have the highest possible stand (in line with their role as spotters). Functionally, the lower stands make them less top-heavy which makes them a bit nicer to move around. There is a distinct 'advantage' in placing shield drones lower as they gain no benefit from being elevated and often want to be placed out of LOS.


1) As to the height of drones, well first there is only one size of stem for a drone base. If you're finding shorter base stem, then those are the ones for vehicles. But you can still use them for your drones!

Tall stem = drone base
Short stem = vehicle base.

So just know that what may have been a problem in modeling for say 5th edition is no longer a problem in 8th!

Go for the aesthetics! Don't worry about height for the stands. ;)

2) a). Now if your worried about drones tipping over on the table, then you can either super glue or epoxy a metal washer under each stand to make them "bottom" heavy. This is what I do for my drones.

2) b). Note if you have the older metal sniper gun drones, what I did was epoxy two very thick metal washers on top of the drone base, and then cover them with green stuff/plumber's putty. This gives enough counter weight to the drone, but doesn't had extra height. Also I used brass rods cut to the desired length, rather than the plastic stems. Much more durable and won't simply break off if the drone tips over.

TauMan
PS Please post photos so we can see how your drones turned out. TM
PPS My Piranha stands are all brass rods of various heights, looks cool! :fear:
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

User avatar
Jhi'Myr
Shas'Saal
Posts: 28
Contact:

Re: Drone Height Guidelines: Modeling for Advantage?

Post#3 » Dec 26 2017 05:09

TauMan wrote:
1) As to the height of drones, well first there is only one size of stem for a drone base. If you're finding shorter base stem, then those are the ones for vehicles. But you can still use them for your drones!

Tall stem = drone base
Short stem = vehicle base.


Every drone set comes with different sized flight stands. Pictured:
Image
Love the modeling suggestions for the drones though. And brass rod is right brilliant. I've been magnetizing mine but I think I might just be a little extra massochistic to be mounting 4 magnets for every drone.

User avatar
StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal
Posts: 292
Contact:

Re: Drone Height Guidelines: Modeling for Advantage?

Post#4 » Dec 31 2017 10:30

As far as I have seen there are 4 lengths in the flying stands, the 2 longer ones pictured above and 2 shorter ones usually with vehicles but also for the recon drone with the pathfinders set.

I put my gun, shield and markers all on the 2 larger variants, though the gun drones belonging with the devil fish got the longer one of the 2 shorter variant.
The Stealth Drones got shorter ones also, I expect them to lay low.

User avatar
gunrock
Shas
Posts: 110

Re: Drone Height Guidelines: Modeling for Advantage?

Post#5 » Jan 13 2018 10:50

Hey guys, Sorry to dig up this post again. So I opted to cut down my drone stems and drill them out thinking i could replace them with brass rod. Because I was planning on magnetizing my drones I opted for steel rod. I tried 1/16th and it's a bit too small, so I tried 3/32 steel rod which is the size of the magnets I use and just a smidge bigger then the default drone holes. I managed to cut 4 tiny little bars which took me like an hour between hacksawing and filing before giving up. There's still a bit of material I can cut down, but I'm worried I might have just destroyed like 30 magnetized and based drone bases?

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get metal rods to length without spending like 8 hours cutting rod?

Is 3/32 brass rod softer, like soft enough to clip with heavy wire cutters?

Right now I'm thinking maybe I can get some steel finish nails in the right size and use them as pins?

If I get super stuck I might end up buying some acrylic rod and seeing if I can plastic glue them back into place...
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3145

Re: Drone Height Guidelines: Modeling for Advantage?

Post#6 » Jan 13 2018 11:54

Just noticed this thread. Short stands are 100% OK for drones. The official GW models show short stands used for Fire Warrior drones, for example.

User avatar
Shas'la Cali Nate
Shas'Saal
Posts: 45

Re: Drone Height Guidelines: Modeling for Advantage?

Post#7 » Jan 14 2018 12:00

gunrock wrote:Hey guys, Sorry to dig up this post again. So I opted to cut down my drone stems and drill them out thinking i could replace them with brass rod. Because I was planning on magnetizing my drones I opted for steel rod. I tried 1/16th and it's a bit too small, so I tried 3/32 steel rod which is the size of the magnets I use and just a smidge bigger then the default drone holes. I managed to cut 4 tiny little bars which took me like an hour between hacksawing and filing before giving up. There's still a bit of material I can cut down, but I'm worried I might have just destroyed like 30 magnetized and based drone bases?

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get metal rods to length without spending like 8 hours cutting rod?

Is 3/32 brass rod softer, like soft enough to clip with heavy wire cutters?

Right now I'm thinking maybe I can get some steel finish nails in the right size and use them as pins?

If I get super stuck I might end up buying some acrylic rod and seeing if I can plastic glue them back into place...


For cutting brass I'd use a jeweler's saw not a hack saw.
For steel you can either use a hacksaw or an angle grinder

Return to “Rules & FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests