About deployment and objectives.

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

About deployment and objectives.

Post#1 » Jan 01 2018 04:26

Hello. Well, it seems like the rules forum is my favorite. Ja.
Me and my group have an issue with the deployment/objectives rules.
The mechanic that we can see repeat in our games is like this:
We play Maelstrom of War scenarios.
We set up the scenography.
Then we roll to set up objective markers.
And now comes the tricky part: the one who LOSES the roll goes second (putting objectives). So he/she knows that will pick the deployment form AND pick a side to deploy.
So he/she will be putting ALL his 3 objective markers together (12 in apart off course) at the same side of the table, with AT LEAST one more objective for the opponent.
So, afterwards he/she picks the deployment setup that is more convenient and deploy with at least 4 markers in his/her side. 5 markers if the opponent didn't do well and let an objective near by.
This situation is breaking our games, since the one that do this is pretty much winning the game.
The last one I played (there is sorta bat rep in the "Deal with Leman Russ" topic) I was loosing 6-1 in the first round, without chance of winning any other points due to the conditions of the mission (the one with 6,5,4,3... objective cards). I manage to win tabling my opponent, but with a lucky roll in the middle to see if the game ends or continue.

How are you playing this?
We have a really bad problem here.
Thanks in advance.

namegiver
Shas

Re: About deployment and objectives.

Post#2 » Jan 01 2018 09:46

The loser of the roll-off does have to roll to 'pick' the deployment zones (pg 216 of the main rulebook) -- they don't get to actually choose. Granted, it's still better to lose that roll (which feels counter-intuitive) and be able to pick deployment zone.

This Fibonacci joke is as bad as the last two you heard combined.
namegiver's Shi'ar Sept Project Log

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 02 2018 04:37

namegiver wrote:The loser of the roll-off does have to roll to 'pick' the deployment zones (pg 216 of the main rulebook) -- they don't get to actually choose. Granted, it's still better to lose that roll (which feels counter-intuitive) and be able to pick deployment zone.

Hello. Thank you for your answer.
Well, I don't have an english version, but in the spanish version (the one that we use) the text says "El jugador que ha situado el sexto marcador de objetivo decide qué mapa de despliegue estándar se usará y elige una de las zonas del mapa para su ejército." which says "the player pick the zone".
Like you say, in 216 says "aleatoreamente" (random), but we though (and the wording in the missions seems like that) that the player picks exactly the mission that he want to play.
Can you transcribe me the wording that appears in english in the "Deployment" section of the missions?
I would like to read how is wording in english. Thank you.
I see a translate issue as used to be in Fantasy time ago.
In fact, to avoid all these issues we often prefer the english version even though we have spanish speakers and some of us didn't talk a word of english.

Co0n
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 02 2018 05:37

"The player who placed the sixth objective marker determines which of the standard deployment maps is used in the battle
(pg 216) and picks one of the deployment zones on the map for their army. Their opponent uses the other deployment zone."

He determines it by rolling a dice as per pg 216 and picks the side he wants to use.

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 02 2018 09:10

Co0n wrote:"The player who placed the sixth objective marker determines which of the standard deployment maps is used in the battle
(pg 216) and picks one of the deployment zones on the map for their army. Their opponent uses the other deployment zone."

He determines it by rolling a dice as per pg 216 and picks the side he wants to use.

Thank you.
Well, the use of "determine" is different from "decide" in Spanish (decides).
It would have say something like "El jugador determina...", haciendo referencia al "para determinar qué (mapa) se usará..."
Thank for the answer.
That changes a lot. In fact, that would have changed the entire outcome of several matches of a campaign that we are currently playing.
Thank you both.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 02 2018 09:48

It might not be 100% accurate according to the rules but we first put the scenery on the table, then place markers, then we determine deployment zones and mission goals etc. via drawing cards (=random).
And then there's the roll off to see who may choose his zone and deploy first.
It's like slicing a cake and letting the other one decide which piece he wants. Thus the one who slices would try to slice the cake equally :D

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jan 02 2018 09:54

Kerrygan wrote:
Co0n wrote:"The player who placed the sixth objective marker determines which of the standard deployment maps is used in the battle

Thank you.
Well, the use of "determine" is different from "decide" in Spanish (decides).
It would have say something like "El jugador determina...", haciendo referencia al "para determinar qué (mapa) se usará..."
Thank for the answer.
That changes a lot. In fact, that would have changed the entire outcome of several matches of a campaign that we are currently playing.
Thank you both.

In English, "determine" as also mainly used in the way you describe, like the Spanish "determinar".

The rules use "determine" in an uncommon way (determine via die rolling) so it makes sense that the translation is a little odd!

Co0n
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jan 02 2018 12:31

to be honest, I played it wrong the first 5 games aswell.
I realized my mistake because we stumbled upon the same problems for game balance.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”