Exploding drones?

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Exploding drones?

Post#1 » Jan 02 2018 06:53

I swear I saw an FAQ somewhere that said drones on vehicles explode because they were on the same data sheet. Anyone know the source or anything to prove/disprove my memory?
If kroot eat orks, doesn't that make them omvivores?

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Exploding drones?

Post#2 » Jan 02 2018 08:36

Dark Hope

Your thinking of 5th edition, where if the transport crashed and the drones were attached they went with it.

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#3 » Jan 02 2018 11:48

No, to clarify I mean the drones have the explodes on a 6 rule because it's on the same data sheet.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 02 2018 11:53

Dark Hope wrote:No, to clarify I mean the drones have the explodes on a 6 rule because it's on the same data sheet.

Devilfish and Piranhas clearly have rules that say "If a Devilfish is reduced to zero wounds..." so clearly the rule applies to the Devilfish, not the attached Gun Drones.

However, on Hammerhead and Sky Ray datasheets the rule state "If this model is reduced to zero wounds..." but even that text implies a singular model, not a pair of drones.

Peregrim
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jan 03 2018 12:11

You might be thinking of a post on this forum (not an official FAQ), and I maintain that's a ridiculous reading of the rules.

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#6 » Jan 03 2018 03:00

I agree that it's absurd, but I promise people will abuse it if it's RAW at tournaments. I just hope the codex clarifies it.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jan 03 2018 04:54

Why would drones also cause an explosion?

It would stand to reason that the way vehicle drones operate is the same as 6th and 7th - the drone can be detached in your movement phase, but if the vehicle dies while the drones are attached, the drones die with it.

I don't see a RAW issue with the wording, and the RAI is abundantly clear.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Osocruel
Shas

Post#8 » Jan 22 2018 10:21

AnonAmbientLight wrote:Why would drones also cause an explosion?

It would stand to reason that the way vehicle drones operate is the same as 6th and 7th - the drone can be detached in your movement phase, but if the vehicle dies while the drones are attached, the drones die with it.

Attached drones: When a Devilfish is set up, any accompanying Gun Drones are attached, and are treated as being embarked,

Page 183 Rule book: If a transport is destroyed, any units embarked within it immediately disemark before the transport model is removed, but you must roll one dice for each model you just set up on the battlefield. For each roll of 1, a model that disembarked is slain.

I don't see a RAW issue with the wording, and the RAI is abundantly clear. :D

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jan 22 2018 10:31

Osocruel wrote:
AnonAmbientLight wrote:Why would drones also cause an explosion?

Attached drones: When a Devilfish is set up, any accompanying Gun Drones are attached, and are treated as being embarked,

Page 183 Rule book: If a transport is destroyed, any units embarked within it immediately disemark before the transport model is removed, but you must roll one dice for each model you just set up on the battlefield. For each roll of 1, a model that disembarked is slain.

I don't see a RAW issue with the wording, and the RAI is abundantly clear. :D

Thats the same for any vehicle that uses gun drones, piranha, devilfish, hammerhead, etc. I've found i quite useful with the piranha.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Jan 22 2018 10:35

MNGamer wrote:Thats the same for any vehicle that uses gun drones, piranha, devilfish, hammerhead, etc. I've found i quite useful with the piranha.

Yeah, having the Drones survive is a nice bonus. Not going to win any games, but, having 66% of a model's firepower survive after death isn't bad at all.

And yeah, attached drones definitely get to disembark. Remember though you need to roll a D6 for each one and risk it being destroyed upon disembarkation though!

Return to “Rules & FAQ”