Line of Sight Question

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
yuedai
Shas'Saal

Line of Sight Question

Post#1 » Jan 04 2018 02:04

Hi there,

can I use vehicles or other units to block line of slight of other units?
For example, if I have 3 Hammerheads and 1 Long strike, can I hind my long strike behind the hammerheads to avoid being alpha striked.

Cheers

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'Saal

Re: Line of Sight Question

Post#2 » Jan 04 2018 02:34

Yes. The shooter has to be able to see the target unless otherwise stated.

Although I do not think you will be able to successfully hide Longstrike behind vehicles. If your opponent has any kind of vertical positioning, he will be able to shoot at Longstrike. Even if the shooter can only see a portion of Longstrike's hull, he may fire with no cover advantage (unless Longstrike is in ruins).
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

yuedai
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 04 2018 03:13

How about landing Longstrike on Landing gears. 3 hammerheads infront hovering, twist engines vertical so they are in tight formation. Then put infantry infront of the hammerheads to cover the gab under the hammerheads?

Shas

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 04 2018 04:58

GW simplified 8th greatly. For non-vehicles, if the shooter can see any portion of the target (excluding wings, guns, and things like that) you can shoot it. For vehicles, if the shooter can see any portion of the hull, you can shoot it.

Using vehicles, especially vehicles the same size as Longstrike, will probably not help you. Any enemy unit that has any kind of vertical placement (flyer, troops on a building) will be able to see him and shoot at him. Your best bet is to hide Longstrike behind a building. It is also recommended that you adopt house rules to where no one can shoot through the first floor of buildings (but you can shoot at units inside buildings).

It might help to mention what your goal is.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jan 04 2018 06:36

yuedai wrote:How about landing Longstrike on Landing gears. 3 hammerheads infront hovering, twist engines vertical so they are in tight formation. Then put infantry infront of the hammerheads to cover the gab under the hammerheads?

Remember that, unless Longstrike is 100% invisible to the firing unit, he can be shot by that unit. This means that in almost all cases, you can only completely block line of sight to a unit by using a larger unit. There are no Tau vehicles large enough to hide a Hammerhead Gunship, so this would be very difficult to do, I think.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jan 15 2018 10:19

Arka0415 wrote:
yuedai wrote:How about landing Longstrike on Landing gears. 3 hammerheads infront hovering, twist engines vertical so they are in tight formation. Then put infantry infront of the hammerheads to cover the gab under the hammerheads?

Remember that, unless Longstrike is 100% invisible to the firing unit, he can be shot by that unit. This means that in almost all cases, you can only completely block line of sight to a unit by using a larger unit. There are no Tau vehicles large enough to hide a Hammerhead Gunship, so this would be very difficult to do, I think.

Interesting thought, as a Hammerhead can FLY, could I hide it on top of a Manta? Amd when the Manta moves next turn it glides elegantly back to the ground :P

Return to “Rules & FAQ”