Another line of sight question (not related with the other) and measure question.

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Another line of sight question (not related with the other) and measure question.

Post#1 » Jan 05 2018 10:58

Hello. In the Gunships and co. the rules says that you measure from the hull instead the base. Ok.
But for instance in the drones doesn't say that. So you have to measure from the base, right?
And what with the line of sight?
Do you take the transparents stick and base into account to see if there is line of sight?
Or you must only use the drone body to determine that?
And another, kinda related: when measuring vertical distances; do you use base to base distance or nearest-body-part to base?
I mean, imagine that a drone is standing next to a building in which there is another drone, from other unit, in the second floor. Do you measure first-drone-body to second-drone-base (1" f.i.) or base to base (or body to body)(3" maybe)?
Thank you for your answers.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Another line of sight question (not related with the other) and measure question.

Post#2 » Jan 05 2018 11:13

Kerrygan wrote:Hello. In the Gunships and co. the rules says that you measure from the hull instead the base. Ok.
But for instance in the drones doesn't say that. So you have to measure from the base, right?

Yes, for drones you measure distance from the base. This is because (like 99% of models) drones are smaller than their bases. Hammerheads, on the other hand, are much larger than their bases, so distances are measured from the hull, not from the base.

Kerrygan wrote:What with the line of sight? Do you take the transparents stick and base into account to see if there is line of sight? Or you must only use the drone body to determine that?

Line of sight is measured from any part of the model, this does not include the base (so far as I understand).

Kerrygan wrote:And another, kinda related: when measuring vertical distances; do you use base to base distance or nearest-body-part to base?
I mean, imagine that a drone is standing next to a building in which there is another drone, from other unit, in the second floor. Do you measure first-drone-body to second-drone-base (1" f.i.) or base to base (or body to body)(3" maybe)?
Thank you for your answers.

You measure from base to base- the fact that a drone is tall does not allow it to gain "extra distance" when firing at high-up targets. However, its height does allow it to better see high-up targets.

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Re: Another line of sight question (not related with the other) and measure question.

Post#3 » Jan 15 2018 08:10

Arka0415 wrote:
Kerrygan wrote:What with the line of sight? Do you take the transparents stick and base into account to see if there is line of sight? Or you must only use the drone body to determine that?

Line of sight is measured from any part of the model, this does not include the base (so far as I understand).

Arka0415 wrote:
Kerrygan wrote:And another, kinda related: when measuring vertical distances; do you use base to base distance or nearest-body-part to base?

You measure from base to base- the fact that a drone is tall does not allow it to gain "extra distance" when firing at high-up targets. However, its height does allow it to better see high-up targets.

Thank you Arka for your answer.
Please, can someone confirm this? I don't have the rulebook at hand now.
Can someone post the wording to measure distances, please? Thank you.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”