Sniper Drones' BS

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Re: Sniper Drones' BS

Post#19 » Jan 25 2018 04:43

leo1925 wrote:3) AM ones are woefully fragile, don't get buffs (orders and regiment bonuses mostly) are on overcrowded slot but they are cheap (less so after CA)

Hilariously I've seen AM players now bringing 4 man command squad with snipers as is now 1pt per model cheaper than Ratlings ok they can't relocate but +1 toughness same save in cover and can be ordered and get regiment bonuses, cadian obviously being the best for free RR 1's without orders or storm troopers for 6's give an extra shot.

I saw a guy bring 8 and an officer to order both each turn cadian so RR 1 to hit for free and orders to RR 1's to wound actually pretty nasty combo and is cheaper than 8 sniper drones without the Firesight marksman.... Actually costs just a bit more than 5 sniper drones.

leo1925
Shas

Post#20 » Jan 25 2018 07:16

Nymphomanius wrote:
leo1925 wrote:3) AM ones are woefully fragile, don't get buffs (orders and regiment bonuses mostly) are on overcrowded slot but they are cheap (less so after CA)

Hilariously I've seen AM players now bringing 4 man command squad with snipers as is now 1pt per model cheaper than Ratlings ok they can't relocate but +1 toughness same save in cover and can be ordered and get regiment bonuses, cadian obviously being the best for free RR 1's without orders or storm troopers for 6's give an extra shot.

I saw a guy bring 8 and an officer to order both each turn cadian so RR 1 to hit for free and orders to RR 1's to wound actually pretty nasty combo and is cheaper than 8 sniper drones without the Firesight marksman.... Actually costs just a bit more than 5 sniper drones.

Oh! i haven't realized that veterans with sniper rifles cost less than ratlings. Ok command squads are limited (one per officer), don't have inflitration, don't shoot and move but have +1T, +1Ld, same save in cover (better out of cover) and most importantly they can take orders and get the regimental bonus (ok, cadian is the best choice) so they can be buffed if you choose to spend more points.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#21 » Jan 25 2018 07:29

leo1925 wrote:AM ones are woefully fragile, don't get buffs (orders and regiment bonuses mostly) are on overcrowded slot but they are cheap (less so after CA)

Honestly it's just funny that Ratlings are T2. :D

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Jan 25 2018 09:44

Arka0415 wrote:
leo1925 wrote:AM ones are woefully fragile, don't get buffs (orders and regiment bonuses mostly) are on overcrowded slot but they are cheap (less so after CA)

Honestly it's just funny that Ratlings are T2. :D

Though they are cowardly small sub humans so rather than represent how tough they are the likelihood of them fleeing from a shot that a normal guardsman (you know those tough manly beings :D) would shrug off and continue to fight :P

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Jan 25 2018 05:12

comm_nagrom wrote:Didn't they used to have rail rifles a few editions ago? I swear I remember them and pathfinders being the only ones to have smaller railgun tech, before the broadsides had mini railguns

Yes, sniper drones used to have Rail Rifles, but this is in a time when characters weren't as challenging to kill, and when Drones weren't as useful or versatile. In fact, the models themselves haven't changed, so physically, they still have Rail Rifles, but GW changed the name and ruling because anyone who has anything cool is bound to have it taken away.

SniperTau wrote:The mechanicus snipers are nasty. I play an infantry heavy list with 2x ranger squads with two each. They make short work of anything except terminator captains, especially when in range of a Dominus or Cawl. Sure it is 25 points, but it hits harder than an auto cannon. Unfortunately us tau only have longshot pulse, which is not the best, although I love the models.

My Skitarii playing friend brings 3 units of rangers to any battle over 500pts, with 3 Arquebus' in each unit.... I constantly tell him that they aren't snipers, but that they're infact anti-material rifles: They're as long as modern day anti-material rifles, and the stats compared to regular "snipers" certainly has me believe that they're anti-material rifles, I mean, they're wounding most vehicles on 4+, and their damage output is impressive for a sniper!

leo1925
Shas

Post#24 » Jan 25 2018 06:04

Bloodknife92 wrote:
comm_nagrom wrote:Didn't they used to have rail rifles a few editions ago? I swear I remember them and pathfinders being the only ones to have smaller railgun tech, before the broadsides had mini railguns

Yes, sniper drones used to have Rail Rifles, but this is in a time when characters weren't as challenging to kill, and when Drones weren't as useful or versatile. In fact, the models themselves haven't changed, so physically, they still have Rail Rifles, but GW changed the name and ruling because anyone who has anything cool is bound to have it taken away.

SniperTau wrote:The mechanicus snipers are nasty. I play an infantry heavy list with 2x ranger squads with two each. They make short work of anything except terminator captains, especially when in range of a Dominus or Cawl. Sure it is 25 points, but it hits harder than an auto cannon. Unfortunately us tau only have longshot pulse, which is not the best, although I love the models.

My Skitarii playing friend brings 3 units of rangers to any battle over 500pts, with 3 Arquebus' in each unit.... I constantly tell him that they aren't snipers, but that they're infact anti-material rifles: They're as long as modern day anti-material rifles, and the stats compared to regular "snipers" certainly has me believe that they're anti-material rifles, I mean, they're wounding most vehicles on 4+, and their damage output is impressive for a sniper!

I have heard that before, in which edition sniper drones had rail rifles?

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Jan 25 2018 06:13

leo1925 wrote:

For certain 5th, and I think 4th as well.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#26 » Jan 25 2018 07:22

Draco023 wrote:
leo1925 wrote:

For certain 5th, and I think 4th as well.

And still in the Sniper Drones' unit description on the GW site!

Return to “Rules & FAQ”