Ethereal warlord and inspired leader trait

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
mattswe
Shas

Ethereal warlord and inspired leader trait

Post#1 » Jan 25 2018 05:57

Hi!
Let's say I have an ethereal being my warlord, and that he gets the warlord trait "Inspiring leader". The ethereals rule "Failure is not an option" says that friendly units within 6" may use the ethereal leadership characteristics instead of their own when taking morale tests. The warlord trait says that friendly units within 6" may add 1 to their leadership characteristics.
This must mean that those units can't benefit from both those rules, i.e. taking morale tests against a leadership value of 10? Meaning that giving an ethereal warlord this trait is pointless, right?
Last edited by mattswe on Jan 26 2018 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Ethereal warlord and inspired leader trait

Post#2 » Jan 25 2018 06:24

mattswe wrote:Hi!
Let's say I have an ethereal being my warlord, and that he gets the warlord trait "Inspiring leader". The ethereals rule "Failure is not an option" says that friendly units within 6" may use the ethereal leadership characteristics instead of their own when taking morale tests. The warlord trait says that friendly units within 6" may add 1 to their leadership characteristics.
This must mean that those units can't benefit from both those rules, i.e. taking morale tests against a leadership value of 11,? Meaning that giving an ethereal warlord this trait is pointless, right?

The units around the Ethereal would gain the Ethereal's LD characteristic of 9 (unmodified). So the Ethereal would be LD9, the troops around it would be LD9, then the warlord buff would apply to both squads and give everyone LD10.

LD10 may sound like too much, but if you're running max-size squads (Kroot or Darkstrider-buffed Breachers for example) having such a high LD characteristic may be handy.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 25 2018 09:46

It's also good to at buffing drones low LD

mattswe
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 26 2018 01:22

That's how I've been playing it, but I just realised the differences in wording between the two rules. According to Failure is not an option the units may "use the ethereals leadership characteristics" . It doesn't sound like their own characteristics is modified. While the warlord trait do modify the units own characteristics. So, do I not have to choose wether to use its own leadership characteristics +1 OR the ethereals leadership characteristics?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jan 26 2018 03:10

mattswe wrote:That's how I've been playing it, but I just realised the differences in wording between the two rules. According to Failure is not an option the units may "use the ethereals leadership characteristics" . It doesn't sound like their own characteristics is modified. While the warlord trait do modify the units own characteristics. So, do I not have to choose wether to use its own leadership characteristics +1 OR the ethereals leadership characteristics?

Oh, sorry about that- you're right. I could have sworn it said "...the Ethereal's Leadership characteristic of 9..." but that 9 isn't there. With that in mind, here's how I think it works:

1. The Ethereal's Warlord Trait buffs it to LD10.
2. The Ethereal's Warlord Trait buffs nearby Fire Warriors to LD8.
3. The Fire Warriors then replace their buffed LD8 with the Ethereal's buffed LD10.

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jan 26 2018 03:18

Yeah, it actually does benefit the squads that take morale tests, and they do it with Ld10.

The warlord trait affects both the bearer AND the units at 6" (the bearer counts as unit within 6" of himself), and then, they can give it to everybody.

What I actually do is to put the Inspiring leader Warlord Trait to my Cadre Fireblade (or sometimes to my Drone Controller Commander), which is near to the Ethereal, so it end up being the same, as drones and units within 6" use his base Ld9 plus 1 from the CFB's Warlord Trait. This way you get more range of morale buff (your CFB can help a bit on his own now), and your Warlord is more resilient than an Ethereal would be (+1W, +1Sv). This, of course, only works if both characters are close at any moment (drone bubbles, for example), but I think it is strictly better to do it that way if that's the case.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jan 26 2018 03:21

JancoBCN wrote:Yeah, it actually does benefit the squads that take morale tests, and they do it with Ld10.

The warlord trait affects both the bearer AND the units at 6" (the bearer counts as unit within 6" of himself), and then, they can give it to everybody.

It doesn't double-stack though.

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jan 26 2018 03:47

Arka0415 wrote:
JancoBCN wrote:Yeah, it actually does benefit the squads that take morale tests, and they do it with Ld10.

No, it doesn't. I may haven't been clear enough, sorry! It gives your unit +1 Ld (Drones would then have Ld7), and your Ethereal +1 Ld (he will have Ld10). Then Drones can either use their own (Ld7 now) or the Ethereal's (Ld10), bot not take the Ethereal's and then add +1, no :D

Thanks for pointing that out!

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Jan 26 2018 04:16

JancoBCN wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

No, it doesn't. I may haven't been clear enough, sorry! It gives your unit +1 Ld (Drones would then have Ld7), and your Ethereal +1 Ld (he will have Ld10). Then Drones can either use their own (Ld7 now) or the Ethereal's (Ld10), bot not take the Ethereal's and then add +1, no :D

Thanks for pointing that out!

Sorry, just clarifying! If it did double-stack, you could make an infinite-LD combo using two Ethereals :P

Return to “Rules & FAQ”