Allocating wounds on wounded unit to drones

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
realmanig
Shas

Allocating wounds on wounded unit to drones

Post#1 » Jan 31 2018 11:24

Is it still possible to trigger saviour protocols?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Allocating wounds on wounded unit to drones

Post#2 » Jan 31 2018 11:33

realmanig wrote:Is it still possible to trigger saviour protocols?

Yes, you can!

realmanig
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 31 2018 11:35

Nice

Gather
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 01 2018 10:16

I'm being paranoid here but you might be activating Saviour Protocols at the wrong time;

Saviour Protocols happens immediately after the opponent rolls to wound. So, the Drones jump in the way of a Lascannon blast and take the entire hit. Not 1d6 Drones jump in the way of a Lascannon blast to take the entire hit.

So, a Wounded Unit has no effect on saviour protocols.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Feb 01 2018 10:27

Gather wrote:I'm being paranoid here but you might be activating Saviour Protocols at the wrong time;

Saviour Protocols happens immediately after the opponent rolls to wound. So, the Drones jump in the way of a Lascannon blast and take the entire hit. Not 1d6 Drones jump in the way of a Lascannon blast to take the entire hit.

So, a Wounded Unit has no effect on saviour protocols.

I think realmanig is asking about how Savior Protocols interacts with the rule that wounded models are the next to take wounds. So if a squad of 3 XV8s has one wounded model, even though that wounded model must take all subsequent wounds, Savior Protocols can still be used.

Zadocfish
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Feb 01 2018 11:39

This actually adds a lot of durability to our multi-wound suits. It's pretty cool!
I am a Christian.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Feb 02 2018 02:37

Yeah, it can save you some drones in the long run too. You can literally let your Suits drop to 1 wound by taking regular 3+ saves on the suit until you know it's going to kill it, then start taking them on the Drones. It allows for some very nasty Shenanigans with ensuring the Drones take the strong multi-damage, high ap modifying shots and letting the suit soak up the single damage, low ap modifying shots. This will ensure you're given an actual saving roll. That said, if you do this with something like Y'Vahra, you'll want to start taking the mortals on the drones when Y'Vahra is about to drop a bracket, rather than running him down to 1 wound first. Keeping full unit efficiency is just as important.

Food for thought...
Longstrike, Bodyguard Crisis Team with Stims, Shield Generator and weapon of choice, Shield Drone Squads, Ethereal on hover drone using sense of stone.
- Take the FNP warlord trait on LS, giving him a 3+/6+++ and 6+++ from the Ethereal.
- Bodyguards intercept the shots at LS, with the Shield Drones intercepting the shot to the bodyguards, Giving them a 5+++ with a further 6+++ from the Etheral, when the Drones die, now you have the Bodyguards getting a 3+/4++/5+++ and 6+++ from the Ethereal. Gonna be a long time before LS takes any damage. Expensive due to the cost of the Bodyguards, but hilarious none the less.
- Take 2 more Hammerheads to maximize the damage (we all know our opponents will try to focus Longstrike first until they realize they can't kill him, basically giving the other HHs monstrous survivability. The wound allocation shenanigans you can give this list is ridiculous. That said, due to the wording of Savior Protocols, I assume, however am unsure if they can intercept the hits from a unit already intercepting a hit from another model. Given that the Bodyguards aren't the original target, I'm not confident this is fool proof.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Feb 02 2018 02:58

Blueshock wrote:Food for thought...
Longstrike, Bodyguard Crisis Team with Stims, Shield Generator and weapon of choice, Shield Drone Squads, Ethereal on hover drone using sense of stone.
- Take the FNP warlord trait on LS, giving him a 3+/6+++ and 6+++ from the Ethereal.
- Bodyguards intercept the shots at LS, with the Shield Drones intercepting the shot to the bodyguards, Giving them a 5+++ with a further 6+++ from the Etheral, when the Drones die, now you have the Bodyguards getting a 3+/4++/5+++ and 6+++ from the Ethereal. Gonna be a long time before LS takes any damage. Expensive due to the cost of the Bodyguards, but hilarious none the less.

Sadly few of the parts of this combo interact with each other. This has been discussed quite a few times: wounds stop at bodyguards, and cannot be passed to drones. Also, the Ethereal's Sense of Stone does not buff Longstrike nor Shield Drones, in addition, Bodyguards cannot use their armor saves or invulnerable saves to stop mortal wounds transferred to them.

If a Lascannon wounds Longstrike he'd get his 6+/6+++, then the Bodyguard would (on a 2+) take the wounds Longstrike would have taken as mortal wounds, against which the Bodyguards could use their re-rollable 6+++. It's a nice combo, but the Shield Drones and Shield Generators wouldn't help. Seeing as the combo involves Bodyguards potentially taking D6 mortal wounds which spill over, it may just result in the Bodyguards dying exponentially quickly.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#9 » Feb 02 2018 03:58

Are the wounds transferred to drone mortal or not. Seem to recall seeing something that they were, but the index says to transfer them normally

Blinx
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Feb 02 2018 04:06

Nitrogue wrote:Are the wounds transferred to drone mortal or not. Seem to recall seeing something that they were, but the index says to transfer them normally

It was changed in the FAQ (page 1)
https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/warhammer_40000_index_xenos_2_en.pdf

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#11 » Feb 02 2018 04:15

Blinx wrote:
Nitrogue wrote:Are the wounds transferred to drone mortal or not. Seem to recall seeing something that they were, but the index says to transfer them normally

It was changed in the FAQ (page 1)
https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/warhammer_40000_index_xenos_2_en.pdf

Yup. Bodyguards do not take mortal wounds caused by enemy attacks, so Savior Protocols does not trigger.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#12 » Feb 02 2018 05:57

cheers, thought i had seen it somewhere, but couldnt rember where. guess my plans for a shield squad are now rather defunct guess i need to read up on these faqs, are there links to any more?

GND
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Feb 02 2018 06:25

You can find all the latest FAQs on the warhammer community page in the FAQ section.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

(it has FAQs for all GW game systems, click on the 40K)

Return to “Rules & FAQ”