Eal'ta - Excel Army List for Tau Army (WIP)

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Q'iq'el
Shas

Re: Eal'ta - Excel Army List for Tau Army (WIP)

Post#151 » Jul 30 2008 08:08

Joe wrote:One big warning:

THIS IS ALL FOR THE 4TH EDITION OF WARHAMMER 40.000. I AM NOT AN OWNER OF THE 5TH NOR DID I READ THE RULES ETC.

Move on :D

I don't think it affects the spreadsheet much. Sure, the requirements may be gone, but you want to take more troops anyway and other than that it's all the same, isn't it?

I just wanted to add that while I love the spreadsheet, I don't have access to any version of office that would properly run the VB scripts in it. NeoOffice with it's VB interpreter just fails to a degree where I cannot even construct an army list (drop down menus show wrong contents). Office 2004 for Mac is similarly affected and Office 2008 does allow the list design and everything works properly in that aspect, but it doesn't run the scripts at all (I don't think M$ even bothered to implement an interpreter in it).

Wouldn't it be possible to generate Print output and Forum output lists without the usage of VB? Perhaps simply using =Armylist!A0 type of fields? I know there are plenty of Windows users allergic to VB in publicly available documents, so I guess a lot of people would prefer such clean approach (even if it affects the looks).

Joe
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#152 » Jul 31 2008 01:35

Q'iq'el wrote:I don't think it affects the spreadsheet much. Sure, the requirements may be gone, but you want to take more troops anyway and other than that it's all the same, isn't it?

I just wanted to add that while I love the spreadsheet, I don't have access to any version of office that would properly run the VB scripts in it. NeoOffice with it's VB interpreter just fails to a degree where I cannot even construct an army list (drop down menus show wrong contents). Office 2004 for Mac is similarly affected and Office 2008 does allow the list design and everything works properly in that aspect, but it doesn't run the scripts at all (I don't think M$ even bothered to implement an interpreter in it).

Wouldn't it be possible to generate Print output and Forum output lists without the usage of VB? Perhaps simply using =Armylist!A0 type of fields? I know there are plenty of Windows users allergic to VB in publicly available documents, so I guess a lot of people would prefer such clean approach (even if it affects the looks).

Hi Q'iq'el,

I am glad you like it!

The VB scripts are a large part of the Spreadsheet so I am afraid I cannot get rid of them. They are also used when adding the Units into the Print/Forum output so that it is not full of blank fields. Additionally through the VB script the output is reformatted the way it is looking like in the end, so the :D elegancy :D of the output would be ruined in a certain way.

Well, M$ allways makes us trouble, doesn't it?
Excel Army Builder for TAU, Upper Concourse, Floor 8

camarodragon
Shas

Post#153 » Feb 02 2009 10:20

Any new updates to this great program. ?

Joe
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#154 » Feb 03 2009 09:45

Hi camarodragon,

not very much... I must admit I have different businesses going on right now (and this was the only one involving WH40K).

And as this is made for the 4th edition, I don't know how many people still use it?

bahbee
Shas

Post#155 » Feb 03 2009 09:52

Joe wrote:And as this is made for the 4th edition, I don't know how many people still use it?

I use it very frequently and it's still the envy of other generals! :)

I cannot think of any feature or function which would interfere with 5th ed. rules. Are there any?

Warhound
Shas

Post#156 » Feb 03 2009 10:18

I still use it!;-)

The wargear options are all there, the entry limitations, the unit choices- nothing that looks 5th Ed illegal to me?

Carry on I say:-)

cheers
WaRhound
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Kais Shovah
Shas

Post#157 » Feb 03 2009 11:04

I've never used it with anything other than 5th edition. It doesn't make a difference! :D
I'm even compiling a file with all kinds of armylists, sorting them by points and type of enemy they'll be most effective against (this way I can just grab a list if I'm in for a quick game).
And all of this using Eal'ta! so: Thanks for making this spreadsheet, Joe!

KS

PaleMoon
Shas

Post#158 » Feb 03 2009 11:47

I still use it, and it's beautifully made. As Bahbee says, it makes you the envy of every other General when you have a nicely printed, well presented army list; and all they have is a scribbled list on a scrap of paper.

I hope you (Joe) find the time to update this when GW get round to releasing a new Tau Codex.

Here's a retrospective Thank You for the work you have done.

PM

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#159 » Feb 03 2009 01:54

I can honestly say that this list builder has single handedly saved my Tau. I find it hard to look back and forth in a codex to make a list and this really helped me in the beggining. I still use it today! I'd love to see it get finished the with the To Do things you mentioned in the beggining of the file. Do you think you may pick it up again?

All in all though, THANK YOU!!!

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#160 » Feb 03 2009 02:25

Hi,

i have to say that i must have ignored this thing ... as i only just noticed it.

i had a quick look over the Excel Army List thing and found out that it is just what i was always looking for and never found.

it really is a great piece of work (and i guess there was a great ammount of work and time invested in it.

Good work and just don't stop it! its great!

- Che

bahbee
Shas

Post#161 » Feb 03 2009 03:45

I can also tell you that many Tau generals who I know use your masterpiece - only they do not visit ATT to thank you for it. So let me pass on their appreciation too! Don't abandon the project, for it is unique and brilliant!

Joe
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#162 » Feb 03 2009 04:47

Wowza!

*running off scared and paled*
*coming back*

Weeeell....... you are the experts here! :D
If you say nothing is wrong with Eal'ta for 5th edition as it is now, who am I to disagree?

Actually, as I just released the PDF I was working on and will have less occupation in that direction (for at least a week or two), I might as well look at Eal'ta again and shorten the To-Do list... we shal's'la see ;)

(and when a new Codex is out... I hope they don't mess up greatly there!)

Q'iq'el
Shas

Post#163 » Feb 03 2009 05:28

Joe wrote:Actually, as I just released the PDF I was working on and will have less occupation in that direction (for at least a week or two), I might as well look at Eal'ta again and shorten the To-Do list... we shal's'la see ;)

That's absolutely great!

I wonder if it wouldn't be much trouble to take a look at compatibility with Neo Office and other Open Office clones? Those have grown quite better recently and I often see similar spreadsheets for other gaming systems come now both in MS and Open Office variants. I hope it means macro conversion isn't hard to do anymore... and it would help greatly all the non-windows users.

Thanks in advance!

Joe
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#164 » Feb 04 2009 03:22

Joe wrote:Actually, as I just released the PDF I was working on and will have less occupation in that direction (for at least a week or two), I might as well look at Eal'ta again and shorten the To-Do list... we shal's'la see ;)

Q'iq'el wrote:That's absolutely great!

I wonder if it wouldn't be much trouble to take a look at compatibility with Neo Office and other Open Office clones? Those have grown quite better recently and I often see similar spreadsheets for other gaming systems come now both in MS and Open Office variants. I hope it means macro conversion isn't hard to do anymore... and it would help greatly all the non-windows users.

Thanks in advance!

You are welcome ;)

Depends... the biggest problem with OpenOffice was that no lists could be generated with conditions (say if I choose THIS on cell A3 then populate this list, if this, then populate another list). And the second biggest problem would be that if the syntax of the OO macro language is not 100% the same as in Excel (2003), EVERYTHING would have to be manually updated and bugtracking would be a great deal of a job...

I will have a look at OO too when I have time for it ;)

Gavvin
Shas

Post#165 » Feb 04 2009 07:53

Well, I just wanted to say that I still use this and wish I had one like it for all my armies! Please keep working on it and updating it. I will be very sad when the new codex comes out if I can no longer use the spreadsheet.
There is no prize that exceeds the worth of my honor.

camarodragon
Shas

Post#166 » Feb 04 2009 11:59

Really Joe, this has been a great program.. You actully inspired me to make a generator of my own for necrons written in excel. Updates are always appreciated and welcome.

Firestorm
Shas

Post#167 » Feb 06 2009 02:26

I really enjoy this creation of yours Joe. I have downloaded it and actually created a 4,000 pt army just to see what its like.

I had one thing come up with a group of kroot. It said the value for the number of kroot and kroot hounds was illegal even though it was within the allowed number range. Probably something on my end though.

I'll let you know if it ever gives me a hard time.

-Firestorm

Aquaterry
Shas

Post#168 » Feb 10 2009 11:45

I think I am in love with your program :P
But it is actually an awesome creation and incredibly useful.

Keep up the good work, I look forwards to the next release :biggrin:
"Insert witty comment here....."

Return to “Rules & FAQ”