I am glad you were able to figure it (nearly) all out
As you say one of the main problems is the restriction put on characters in longer formulas in Excel 2003 - because of that you need to split larger unit combination checks into small sub-checks and add their partial results into the final one. The other problem is that either Excel does not have advanced database functions I would need OR I am not skilled enough to use them AND I am not THAT skilled in Excel to be able to use some advanced "shortcuts". I just went from point A to point B to point C to point D as I ever saw the horizon.
I initially thought about doing it all in Access, but I am lacking the knowledge in that tool. I dediced for Excel, but even after that I spent much time figuring the basic things out - data validation, the macros for printing and then also all the "debugging" when something was not working. I asked many questions on specialized Excel forums. All that was not easy as you have to dig deep into those long formulas and if you omit a single character, something somewhere just does not work
The reason I moved away from Eal'Ta was:
1. that I did not have any more time for it because of many other projects/translations I was involved in - and my focus constantly changes to new things (it is the Acquarius in me
). I also initially planned to start a Tau Army, but later my financial situation prevented it (for now)
2. the 5th Edition of WH40K came out (not that I have ever played the 4th either!) and I was not sure if there were any changes impacting the spreadsheet
3. I had basically everything what I aimed for in the spreadsheet, barring perhaps some special units and specialties
Therefore any further development is up to you people willing to dig in and update it where necessary/desired.
I must admit I learned a lot during the work and I am grateful for that