Eal'ta - Excel Army List for Tau Army (WIP)

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Yami Kero
Shas

Re: Eal'ta - Excel Army List for Tau Army (WIP)

Post#181 » Mar 28 2010 12:11

Found a small issue. Regular Shas'Ui XV88 with regular Drone controllers can't have shield drones (1 or 2). Or 2 markerlight drones for that matter.

Otherwise awesome tool.

wartang
Shas

Post#182 » Jun 09 2010 07:50

Hey I had a question. How do you add costom units?
W/D/L/JPDC
6/2/3/2

Spyder
Shas

Post#183 » Jul 30 2010 07:22

Does anyone have any plans to update this anytime soon or has something in the works?
Each must find their own way...
-Commander Farsight

Wolfs16
Fio'El

Post#184 » Jul 30 2010 08:13

I would love to see the addition of the XV9's, maybe Shas'O R'alai and I'd it would be great if the Farsight Bodyguard section could be worked out to include more slots (not a big deal though). Also, it would be great if Farsight changed stuff for the rest of the list like Free Bonding knifes and limiting what units can be taken.

Overall this is still my favorite list maker out there so anyone working on this gets a big virtual hug from me.

Spyder
Shas

Post#185 » Jul 30 2010 10:18

I agree, This Ealta is freaking awesome. I was just trying to make an accurate list, and I would make the modifications myself but I am not quite that savvy with Excel ... Is anyone who has been working on it messed around with changing the Farsight guard and Free Bonding Knives?

Also is there any chance that Statistics will ever be added into the Print out?
Each must find their own way...
-Commander Farsight

Eiglepulper
Shas'O

Post#186 » Aug 01 2010 12:59

It might be no harm to PM the OP about some of this.

E.

Xanadu
Kor

Post#187 » Aug 01 2010 01:09

Even though it won't be much help to many people, I have made an army builder for Tau in a simple style that I use on my Mac (Built in Numbers.) If anyone is interested, I'll update it to include O'R'alai and the XV9s etc. Just drop me a PM.

Exokan
Shas

Post#188 » Sep 19 2010 09:49

I dunno how I screwed everything up...

A while ago I asked Joe for his excellent spreadsheet and I began working on it recently when I had some time. I'd just finished adding Special Characters and XV9, and when adding Kroot Riders... I screwed up. Now Drop down lists don't work.

I'll probably start over from Joe's original again. Adding all the restrictions and unit checks was a bit too much work so I just went bare-boned cost on stuff.

If people are interested in how the sheet is set up and edited, everything is basically done through Data Validation, and Names (for groups of Info). First add a unit into an appropriate section of the 'Select Unit' sheet, and then add all the options into the 'Weapons' sheet. Name the Unit, and then the Unit+Cost, and then name the Weapon Options, their cost, Equipment, Equipment+Cost, etc. On the army list page, add the new unit via Data Validation on the main Drop Down menu. Then edit the options menu that when the main box says="x" it will display the appropriate weapons selection. Then you just edit the formula below the options box to find the cost.

You'll run into issues with running out of characters (for formulas), and the entire process is pretty damn time consuming.

Big ups to Joe, for a detailed and brilliant little spreadsheet. Figuring it out (I just kind of fumbled around) was kind of fun, and a testimony to his data organizing finesse.

By the way I don't wanna host files myself. If I can fix what I messed up, if someone wants to host the update, I'll email it to them...

Joe
Shas'La

Post#189 » Sep 20 2010 06:21

Exokan,

I am glad you were able to figure it (nearly) all out :biggrin: .

As you say one of the main problems is the restriction put on characters in longer formulas in Excel 2003 - because of that you need to split larger unit combination checks into small sub-checks and add their partial results into the final one. The other problem is that either Excel does not have advanced database functions I would need OR I am not skilled enough to use them AND I am not THAT skilled in Excel to be able to use some advanced "shortcuts". I just went from point A to point B to point C to point D as I ever saw the horizon.

I initially thought about doing it all in Access, but I am lacking the knowledge in that tool. I dediced for Excel, but even after that I spent much time figuring the basic things out - data validation, the macros for printing and then also all the "debugging" when something was not working. I asked many questions on specialized Excel forums. All that was not easy as you have to dig deep into those long formulas and if you omit a single character, something somewhere just does not work :roll:

The reason I moved away from Eal'Ta was:
1. that I did not have any more time for it because of many other projects/translations I was involved in - and my focus constantly changes to new things (it is the Acquarius in me :eek: ). I also initially planned to start a Tau Army, but later my financial situation prevented it (for now)
2. the 5th Edition of WH40K came out (not that I have ever played the 4th either!) and I was not sure if there were any changes impacting the spreadsheet
3. I had basically everything what I aimed for in the spreadsheet, barring perhaps some special units and specialties

Therefore any further development is up to you people willing to dig in and update it where necessary/desired.

I must admit I learned a lot during the work and I am grateful for that ;)
Excel Army Builder for TAU, Upper Concourse, Floor 8

kirstar
Shas

Post#190 » Jul 26 2013 10:58

I know thread necromancy but anyone updated this for the new codex ?

Necromancy is fine as long as the addition to the thread is of value and adds to the thread. Your post fits the bill. ~ E.

De'terra
Fio'Vre

Post#191 » Jul 26 2013 11:07

If I may ask, is there any reason why you would prefer this in an excel spreadsheet?
There used to be a lot of arguments over actually buying a license akin to Army Builder.
But I have even switched over from AB to Battlescribe.

Might be something to look into.
Our every own Amis has written a guide on battlescribe and he produces the latest datasets for it as well.
You can find more details in his thread here:
http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?p=257911&sid=7f9b913ba8b482a1e656540274d47099

kirstar
Shas

Post#192 » Jul 27 2013 06:14

I finally picked up a copy of the new codex yesterday. It has been a couple of years since I played last and I remember how useful the original excel sheet was in teaching me to put together a legal list.

I thought of army builder as I already use hearo labs but being short of cash at the moment I thought the excel solution would be the best.

Will have a look at that link. Thanks :)

Return to “Rules & FAQ”