Rules VDR Calculator

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
kirstar
Shas

Post#21 » Nov 26 2007 06:21

Unfortunately this is missing some options that are in the VDR

Shas'La
Shas

Post#22 » Nov 26 2007 07:07

Really I can't think of anything. Though Ive rarely used VDR so I could be mistaken. So what is missing. I checked the version posted on the Spanish site and did not see anything missing. :? To O'Mont'sha: What do you mean by kickboards. The little things in "Bck To The future"or things that extend out to make access or seats for them? If either then they should all be able to shoot from it as fireing points.
Unite or Die- Benjamin Franklin

Sheckells
Shas

Post#23 » Nov 26 2007 08:23

Shas'La wrote:Really I can't think of anything. Though Ive rarely used VDR so I could be mistaken. So what is missing. I checked the version posted on the Spanish site and did not see anything missing. :?

There are issues with this version...examples - for Tau it says you cannot give a burst cannon a long barrel option. Untrue according to 2004 VDR rules.

Also the weapon points costs do not match up...a tau flyer with 10, 10, 10 armor with a targeted BC...should be 80 points - it has 75.

kirstar
Shas

Post#24 » Nov 27 2007 03:45

Also you can improve you speed from the fixed speeds.

Its just missing a layer.

Troutmonkey
Shas'Ui

Post#25 » Nov 28 2007 08:01

Nice find, time to link it to my website of recources!
www.alice40k.tripod.com
Troutmonkey on LIVE

shas'o cam
Shas

Post#26 » Dec 18 2007 04:02

hi, just for fun i created the imperial mega ship with
12 sp
12 vs
12, 11, 10 armour
10x long barreled wirlwind w/ ca ac
20x inferno cannon w/ ca ac
90x gatling assult cannon w/ ca ac
50x lascannon
37x 90 bombs!
it comes in at a hefty 40056 points! :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(
Kroot don't learn. Kroot are commonly used as speedbumps.

maxxev
Shas

Post#27 » Dec 18 2007 04:27

don't know if it has been mentioned but tau forcefields are apparently free according to this program... they are not (I belive they are 35 each?)

Cheers.

Budzius
Shas

Post#28 » Dec 18 2007 09:32

It does not matter anymore...
VDR is out, Custom datasheets are in!!!
(it says something like this in this article)

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/ ... efault.htm
I just lost "the game"

maxxev
Shas

Post#29 » Dec 19 2007 09:43

I don't get GW sometimes, they simplify the 40k rules system to a very simple stream line system, and then try and trow this in which is from the "old style" way of thinking, they are SOOOO going to get a whole load of broken things out there people have made up, VDR was soooo much better.

Kunas'Anuk
Shas

Post#30 » Dec 19 2007 09:54

It also says that the tank pictured was scratch built, but in a friends copy of IA (1 I think) it states that the tank is made using an incredibly old model of a future tank (some Sci-fi movie).

But yes... Being able to write up your own datasheets without needing to calculate points is rediculous IMO.

I mean, how many kids are going to make up a 14 AV all sides vehicle, with 14 structure points, 14 void shields, 4 Demolisher cannons, 2 plasmablastguns and can carry up to 10 terminators... for the fair price of 20 points.

I'll stick to VDR. Its more fair.
:Stealth Marker Pilot:
~You Won't See Me Coming~

foto69man
Shas

Post#31 » Dec 19 2007 11:03

I love VDR...I get to make up things that would never really exsist or be built. I see this vehicle like a transformers type thing, where the commander takes his battlesuit and drops into a socket, and becomes the head of this beast. This would be my apocolypse support for my regular army...HAHAHA. What do you guys think?

O' Shavah Super Walker

Points WS BS S Front Side Rear I A
1965 2 3(4) 3 14 14 12 2 1

Type: Size: Speed:
Walker War machine Lumbering

Weapons: 2 x Gatling Mega Railgun (with Submunitions)
2 x Gatling Long-barrelled Mega Ion
Cannon
3 x Tau field
Orbital lander
Targeters

Vehicle Category:
War machine

Structure Points:
Check out Heralds of Ruin Kill Team!

Website

FB Group

Sheckells
Shas

Post#32 » Dec 19 2007 02:51

Budzius wrote:It does not matter anymore...
VDR is out, Custom datasheets are in!!!
(it says something like this in this article)

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/ ... efault.htm

This is weird (not your post) but how the whole datasheet 'thing' is being presented. From the Apoc. book, I thought GREAT! datasheets.

They are for 'units' or 'formations' (notice how the sheets ACTUALLY are labelled that way...). And VDR was for 'models' because it provided a consistent method for assigning cost (points) to them.

Apparently, based on various comments I have read from reputable sources on different forums, GW considered including the VDR rules in Apoc. Then ultimately decided not to...no good reason given. (*)

But NOW - they are using datasheets to detail new models rather than just converting existing FW models into an offical cross-over format.

How to screw things up again...

(*) My sneaky suspicion is they plan to release updated VDR rules in the future as part of some 'new' launch (either as a suppliment to models or part of something else)...they wanted to save it for that and thought Apoc. had enough already. And the re-release woudl spur model sales...maybe the launch of bundled bitz?

And, in a typical GW fashion, by not including them, folks are now trying to create their own models...and GW is having to poorly respond to that need with what they have at hand - datasheets. Which will then be rendered obsolete once they release the updated VDR rules in an attempt to get us to buy more models somehow.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O

Post#33 » Dec 19 2007 02:57

Let's not start a descent into GW-bashing please, folks.

E.

foto69man
Shas

Post#34 » Dec 20 2007 08:38

VDR can be used in tournements if its under a certain points cost right?

Website

FB Group

fiendil
Shas

Post#35 » Dec 22 2007 08:53

foto69man wrote:VDR can be used in tournements if its under a certain points cost right?

Unless the tournament rules explicitly allow VDR, then no.
Death before honour.

duty calls
Shas

Post#36 » Jan 03 2008 08:35

the tau's answer to the bane blade:
Points Front Armour Side Armour Rear Armour BS
568 14 14 13 3
Type:
Tank Size:
War machine
Speed:
Agile
Weapons:
1 x Twin-linked Mega Titan-killer Railgun (without Submunitions)
1 x Fusion Blaster
1 x Fusion Blaster
1 x Smart Missiles
1 x Smart Missiles
1 x AA Twin-linked Plasma Rifle
Special Options:
2 x Tau field

Souped-up engine

Vehicle Category:
War machine

Structure Points:
Last edited by duty calls on Jan 03 2008 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
matthew

foto69man
Shas

Post#37 » Jan 03 2008 08:36

it comes up blank...you to put up the stats, or put up a pic of the datafax

Website

FB Group

Vykromod
Shas

Post#38 » Jan 03 2008 10:56

duty calls wrote:1 x Twin-linked Mega Titan-killer Railgun (without Submunitions)

Doesn't Mega have an upper limit of S10 AP1? It's wasted points without submunitions.

duty calls wrote:1 x AA Twin-linked Plasma Rifle

Actually, while I'm here, this isn't very good. If you've got access to Apocalypse or IA Volume 1, look at the Hydra for an example of good AA power. That fires multiple AA shots, so it's reasonably likely to do something nasty despite the glancing-only rule for flyers, and has long range to overcome the fact that ground-based targets fire as if 12" further from the flyer than they really are.

A single plasma rifle is not useful AA power despite reasonable strength for attacking their weak armour. Unless the flyer is directly on top of the thing, it only gets one shot and the effective range of it is 12". AA Missile pods aren't bad, firing two shots, but are still slightly lacking in range. An ion cannon would be excellent for this purpose, but may be too expensive.
Last edited by Vykromod on Jan 03 2008 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Gone. See profile for why.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”