Rules VDR Calculator

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
foto69man
Shas

Post#31 » Dec 19 2007 11:03

I love VDR...I get to make up things that would never really exsist or be built. I see this vehicle like a transformers type thing, where the commander takes his battlesuit and drops into a socket, and becomes the head of this beast. This would be my apocolypse support for my regular army...HAHAHA. What do you guys think?

O' Shavah Super Walker

Points WS BS S Front Side Rear I A
1965 2 3(4) 3 14 14 12 2 1

Type: Size: Speed:
Walker War machine Lumbering

Weapons: 2 x Gatling Mega Railgun (with Submunitions)
2 x Gatling Long-barrelled Mega Ion
Cannon
3 x Tau field
Orbital lander
Targeters

Vehicle Category:
War machine

Structure Points:
Check out Heralds of Ruin Kill Team!

Website

FB Group

Sheckells
Shas

Post#32 » Dec 19 2007 02:51

Budzius wrote:It does not matter anymore...
VDR is out, Custom datasheets are in!!!
(it says something like this in this article)

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/ ... efault.htm

This is weird (not your post) but how the whole datasheet 'thing' is being presented. From the Apoc. book, I thought GREAT! datasheets.

They are for 'units' or 'formations' (notice how the sheets ACTUALLY are labelled that way...). And VDR was for 'models' because it provided a consistent method for assigning cost (points) to them.

Apparently, based on various comments I have read from reputable sources on different forums, GW considered including the VDR rules in Apoc. Then ultimately decided not to...no good reason given. (*)

But NOW - they are using datasheets to detail new models rather than just converting existing FW models into an offical cross-over format.

How to screw things up again...

(*) My sneaky suspicion is they plan to release updated VDR rules in the future as part of some 'new' launch (either as a suppliment to models or part of something else)...they wanted to save it for that and thought Apoc. had enough already. And the re-release woudl spur model sales...maybe the launch of bundled bitz?

And, in a typical GW fashion, by not including them, folks are now trying to create their own models...and GW is having to poorly respond to that need with what they have at hand - datasheets. Which will then be rendered obsolete once they release the updated VDR rules in an attempt to get us to buy more models somehow.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#33 » Dec 19 2007 02:57

Let's not start a descent into GW-bashing please, folks.

E.

foto69man
Shas

Post#34 » Dec 20 2007 08:38

VDR can be used in tournements if its under a certain points cost right?

Website

FB Group

fiendil
Shas

Post#35 » Dec 22 2007 08:53

foto69man wrote:VDR can be used in tournements if its under a certain points cost right?

Unless the tournament rules explicitly allow VDR, then no.
Death before honour.

duty calls
Shas

Post#36 » Jan 03 2008 08:35

the tau's answer to the bane blade:
Points Front Armour Side Armour Rear Armour BS
568 14 14 13 3
Type:
Tank Size:
War machine
Speed:
Agile
Weapons:
1 x Twin-linked Mega Titan-killer Railgun (without Submunitions)
1 x Fusion Blaster
1 x Fusion Blaster
1 x Smart Missiles
1 x Smart Missiles
1 x AA Twin-linked Plasma Rifle
Special Options:
2 x Tau field

Souped-up engine

Vehicle Category:
War machine

Structure Points:
Last edited by duty calls on Jan 03 2008 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
matthew

foto69man
Shas

Post#37 » Jan 03 2008 08:36

it comes up blank...you to put up the stats, or put up a pic of the datafax

Website

FB Group

Vykromod
Shas

Post#38 » Jan 03 2008 10:56

duty calls wrote:1 x Twin-linked Mega Titan-killer Railgun (without Submunitions)

Doesn't Mega have an upper limit of S10 AP1? It's wasted points without submunitions.

duty calls wrote:1 x AA Twin-linked Plasma Rifle

Actually, while I'm here, this isn't very good. If you've got access to Apocalypse or IA Volume 1, look at the Hydra for an example of good AA power. That fires multiple AA shots, so it's reasonably likely to do something nasty despite the glancing-only rule for flyers, and has long range to overcome the fact that ground-based targets fire as if 12" further from the flyer than they really are.

A single plasma rifle is not useful AA power despite reasonable strength for attacking their weak armour. Unless the flyer is directly on top of the thing, it only gets one shot and the effective range of it is 12". AA Missile pods aren't bad, firing two shots, but are still slightly lacking in range. An ion cannon would be excellent for this purpose, but may be too expensive.
Last edited by Vykromod on Jan 03 2008 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Gone. See profile for why.

foto69man
Shas

Post#39 » Jan 03 2008 11:00

Vykromod wrote:
duty calls wrote:1 x Twin-linked Mega Titan-killer Railgun (without Submunitions)

Doesn't Mega have an upper limit of S10 AP1?

It does...so he should have taken with submunitions, then it would have made sense. Why the souped up engine though? With the main gun, you can just sit back and plug away at the other guy, not really needing to move

Website

FB Group

Everian
Fio

Post#40 » Jan 21 2008 10:08

anyone got a link that points to what all these rules mean please? ive been looking for ths VDRs for awhile now and all ive found is the link in the OP.
Tau Commander Shas'El Kor'Elan'Ka

foto69man
Shas

Post#41 » Jan 21 2008 02:52

Chapter Approved 2004...don't know where its at electronically though.

Website

FB Group

shasolenzabi
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#42 » Jan 21 2008 03:28

[[[ To OP, Mako is the correct spelling for that particular shark.

My creation, which started as a drawing back about 2002 is the Thresher Shark Tank Hunter.

Basically a turretless twin linked Railgun, after all is said and done weighs in at a reasonable price of about 220. I may have to re-calculate but it is a nice piece, and will hunt tanks nicely! ;)

If you look for my army pics, there are some pics of it in primer black, I am currently busy working on painting this beastie! :)

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#43 » Jan 22 2008 05:44

shasolenzabi wrote:[[[ To OP, Mako is the correct spelling for that particular shark.

Oops! Well, even the Mods are not infallible, eh! ;) Thanks, Lennie.

E.

hammerhead_tank
Shas

Re: Rules VDR Calculator

Post#44 » Jun 08 2008 08:04

Hey, well isn't this fun! :biggrin:
Name: Pike
Crew: Tau
Type:Flyer
Armour:F/S/R=11/10/10
Weapons: AA Ioncannon, 2xTwin-linked gatling railguns with submunitions. ( :dead: ), 4x twin-linked pulse-rifles
Transport capacity: 11
Upgrades: Landing gear

Talk about a glass-hammer. :D
Current Tau record (w/t/l)
11/0/0

Firestorm
Shas

Post#45 » Dec 23 2008 10:22

I've wasted lots of time doing this. The best I made was this. (mind you this is just the gun)

1 X AA Twin-Linked Gatling Long-Barrelled Mega Blast Titan Killer Railgun (with submunitions) + Co-axial Ion cannon 525 pts.

Thats a big gun for a lot of points. Ah, now how to model such a beast. (Is it even legal to have all this on one weapon?)

foto69man
Shas

Post#46 » Dec 24 2008 09:19

It is legal if your opponent doesnt mind...and there is the problem, because most people aren't going to allow something that crazy on the table :?

Website

FB Group

Isoroku
Shas

Post#47 » Dec 31 2008 06:05

This Link is to VDR Construct Design

http://www.ageofstrife.com/tools/vdr/

Soji
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#48 » Jan 27 2009 06:03

foto69man wrote:It is legal if your opponent doesnt mind...and there is the problem

And that's why when I design something, I carefully unerpower it to make it clear that I'm not trying to get the edge through a custom unit. It has worked great to get my opponent to agree to use it.
55/1/0

Soji, as always at your service

Return to “Rules & FAQ”