A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post#181 » Aug 25 2017 07:05

I haven't quit just yet, I promise! I've got some serious painter's bloxk, but I decided to do something else to hopefully build my enthusiasm in this dark time for the T'au. I've started preparation work for my new Broadside kitbash conversions, and I've completed one, magnetised and ready for painting. Two left to go. I've also written up a little fluff to give a little life to my soon-to-be franken-T'au:

Deep in the military labs of A'kish, a new iteration of an old faithful weapon system was being developed. The XV88 of the past, which used XV8 chassis, was being attemped once again. The more modern XV88 used in current day by the cadres of the T'au, dubbed the XV88 42 by the weapons developers of A'kish due to having been deployed for combat usage toward the end of the 41st milleneum by Gue'la timekeeping standards, had overcome many issues that the earlier XV88 models presented with, like having less stable (but more powerful) primary weapon systems, having limited combat role options due to only having one primary weapon option, and having difficulty operating with 'borrowed' systems from an already existing chassis, making full integration and weaponisation a challenge. While the newer suits overcame many crucial problems that the older units had, the XV88 42 wasn't without issues of its own. While it was certainly more modern, having a static mounting arrangement for the Heavy Mass Acceleration Weapons known more commonly as the Railguns, led to some difficulty in pilots adapting to the controlling of the platform, what with the pilot always needing to rotate their suit to the right when preparing to fire as the weapon was mounted to the right arm, aiming to the left, and not able to be aimed directly ahead of the suit. Other problems included poor containment of the Mass Acceleration Engine that drive the Railgun's projectile propulsion system, resulting in lag between mass acceleration and projectile distribution, and on top of that, being so exposed left the component easily damaged by smaller arms. Lastly, the size of the suit left the researchers of A'kish wondering if its combat effectiveness was equalled by or even overthrown by its obviousness as a huge target in the field. This all led to the lead researcher Shi'Rata wanting to attempt to revive an older style of suit with some more modern touches.

'Rata started with the latest model of the XV8 battlesuit. He and his team stripped it down of all its internal computing and combat systems, reducing it to but a shell. They removed the primary armour plates of the torso, hips and thighs, and created some heavier style plating based on the rare but powerful Iridium Armour upgrade distributed to only fhe best pilots, albiet without actual Iridium minerals. Following this, they tested it with two separate shoulder mounted Railguns, similar to the old design but with modern weapons pulled straight from a new and not even used XV88 42. The initial tests showed poor stability and accuracy when firing both weapons at the same target at the same time. The team decided to return to a single twin rail platform, mounted on one shoulder, freeing up the second shoulder for the often opted for Seeker Missile mounting frame. The Jet Pack units were cleaned out of any and all propulsion systems and replaced with Mass Driver systems to power the Mass Acceleration Weapon, though the exhaust ports on the jet packs were kept and repurposed into cooling veins as mass acceleration technology generates obsurd amounts of heat. The new prototype was given redesigned versions of the computing and combat technologies from the XV8, and testing began. For nearly 7 Tau'cyr, the testing continued until a final combat ready prototype satisfied Shi'Rata and his team. Two more of the same prototype were constructed completely identical to the first, and deployment occured immediately.

Innitially, the units proved effective in combat, although the Commander leading the cadre they'd been deployed to constantly had to recognise that these unuts were not XV8s dispite their similar appearance short the large shoulder mounted weapons. The prototypes saw combat against rogue pirate patrols in the Vior'la and neighbouring systems, a violent uprising on a Gue'la planet which had been liberated during the early parts of the Third Sphere Expansion, and one unit almost got lost in the descovery and engagement of a rapidly growing Ork horde just two systems from Vior'la and A'kish. The units were returned to A'kish and repaired, and the designs and proposal for mass production to a limited degree was sent to the Ethereals of Vior'la.

Mass production was approved, and not long after, select cadres and commanders with need for the new XV88 43s recieved several units for combat deployment.

While not replacing the XV88 42s due to their once again single primary weapon and many Commanders and Ethereals not feeling the need to use these new units, the XV88 43 was a monumental milestone for the A'kish research labs, and led to requests from many a researcher and developer to relocate there and work under Shi'Rata.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#182 » Sep 18 2017 07:52

PROGRESS! I finally managed to beat my painter's block! All it took was a fantastic battle that didn't result in a complete crushing of my entire army with little retaliation.
I managed to get my Fire Warriors' heads and shoulder pads painted up. All that is left is the backpacks, then onto the prize project; my Broadsides. I'm excited.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#183 » Sep 19 2017 06:04

I did it :D
Below is a comparison between my three different Fire Warrior units. On the right is the very first models I painted, circa 10 years ago. In the middle is the unit I painted around 9 years ago, and on the left is very obviously my latest, just finished unit. I feel I've come far in 10 years, but it wouldn't be fair to say the whole 10 years as I did take a some-8 year hiatus after the second unit. Still, progress is progress!
While I'd love to get to work on my Broadsides, I just remembered that I still have the DS8 Missile turret to paint, and I'd love to finally get my Crisis' Missile Pods painted up too, so I'm going to start working on those asap.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#184 » Sep 19 2017 10:21

Great progress made! Love the comparison too, nice touch :)
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#185 » Sep 20 2017 02:21

This looks goood. I am loving the pose on the team leader. Kinda sad I didn't model mine in the same way...
I am also loving you picture of the progress. You have trly come a long way and it gives really nice perspective on how things evolve :D

Your Carde is looking very promising! I will gladly wait for more content on this log.
Thanks for sharing!
Cheers!
Nix

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#186 » Sep 20 2017 05:52

Very nice... crispy sharp - as before, love this scheme. Glad to hear you didn't get a trouncing on the table, never fear - you'll get your crushing wins - all the more sweeter. :D

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#187 » Sep 20 2017 11:04

I painted up the Missile turret, but the missile launchers still need finishing.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#188 » Sep 30 2017 05:40

Lovely stuff, much progress since? :)

I had always hoped they would have adopted the missile pods as internal pop ups rather than on the back like that. Either way, it is a great little model!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#189 » Sep 30 2017 07:15

Nah no progress. I had a car accident while traveling to play a battle recently, and haven't picked up a brush since. Life is really catching up with me, and with my son due in approx. four weeks, I probably won't be doing anymore painting in a while anyway. Gladly, I have no shortage of projects to return to when I'm ready, and I recently bought my third pot of Nurgling Green, so progress will come when progress finds time :D

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#190 » Oct 01 2017 09:23

Sorry to hear about the accident! But definitely big congratulations on the forthcoming hobby recruit ;) :D

We'll always be here to share Tau hobby, look forward to you posting updates when you can :)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#191 » Oct 01 2017 10:41

I do hope to make some progress when I return from my holiday. I'd love to finish off all of my drones and finally paint up the right attachments for them, as opposed to telling everyone that my Marker Drones are actually Gun Drones :D

I still have: Drones, weapon systems and Broadsides to work on, not specifically in that order. I look at how much I have to do and wonder how people can handle having multiple-box backlogs :P

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#192 » Oct 03 2017 02:59

Hah, know that feeling - enjoy the holiday and await your return :)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#193 » Oct 05 2017 04:37

I earned a little extra money this week due to doing a favour for my neighbour, so I decided to go shopping :D

Hurray for adding to the backlog of projects :P

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#194 » Oct 05 2017 10:55

Oh man! Those sculpts surely are awesome and the poses are so unique.
The backpressure sure is adding up after purchasing more miniatures. I got the optimized team pack over a month ago. Still haven't even clipped off a single part. I'm so tempted but not untill I get my fore warriors ready...

Take care!
Cheers!
Nix

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#195 » Oct 08 2017 10:55

I've finished base coating the few weapons that I have yet to paint for my Crisis suits and my Riptide, and I decided to do it by brush this time, and because of this, I will probably do all my base coating by brush in the future. I instantly noticed a few advantages to base coating by brush: it appears a little cheaper, as a lot of paint is wasted when spraying, and I can apply a much thinner base coat to the plastic while also getting to the hard to reach places. And I don't have to wait for the weather to be that good outside, it just needs to be cool enough for me to want to paint at all :P

Following this, I revised my "large" army list(2000pts) after playing a game against a rather competitive player, and once again getting smashed. He was playing Death Guard, using their brand new codex with all of its glory, and I was once again stuck with the index and the three generic strategems in the core Rulebook. He believed that we were playing a "balanced" game and that having the Death Guard codex gave him no advantages(I honestly think that every army has an advantage over T'au in our current state). He is also oddly under the impression that "anyone can win with any list, it all comes down to how you play". I took that one with a bag of salt :D

Now, onto my list changes. This was a tough one, as I am unable to manage more than one detachment with the non-HQ units I've chosen to take, meaning I've had to drop one in place of a new one. Here's what I got:

Battalion Detachment
--HQ--
Commander Shadowsun2
MV52 Shield Drones, 1 MV62 Command-link Drone
Ethereal
Honour Blade, Hover Drone
Longstrike
2 Smart Missile Systems, Railgun, 2 Seeker Missiles
--Troop--
Strike Team
4 Shas'la, Pulse Rifles, Shas'ui, DS8 Tactical Support Turret, Missile Pod
Strike Team
4 Shas'la, Pulse Rifles, Shas'ui
Strike Team
4 Shas'la, Pulse Rifles, Shas'ui
--Elite--
Crisis Bodyguard Team
3 Crisis Shas'vre, 2 Fusion Blasters(each), 1 Shield Generator(each), 4 MV1 Gun Drones, 2 MV4 Shield Drones
Crisis Bodyguard Team
3 Crisis Shas'vre, 2 Missile Pods(each), 1 Advanced Targeting System(each), 4 MV1 Gun Drones, 2 MV4 Shield Drones
--Fast Attack--
Pathfinder Team
4 Shas'la, Pulse Carbines, Markerlights, Shas'ui, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV4 Shield Drone
Pathfinder Team
4 Shas'la, Pulse Carbines, Markerlights, Shas'ui, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone, MV4 Shield Drone
--Heavy Support--
Broadside Team
2 Broadside Shas'ui, Broadside Shas'vre, 2 Plasma Rifles(each), 1 Heavy Rail Rifle(each), 1 Seeker Missile(each), 1 Shield Generator(each)

This all comes to 1998 points, and only requires that I buy two more kits after I finish my current projects; A Hammerhead, and Commander Shadowsun. I'm also going to buy a 40mm base for Shadowsun, and I'm going to custom build the Hammerhead turret.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#196 » Oct 14 2017 06:25

I'm not so great on rules answers or advice on lists, but have say, super jelly of the new Pathfinder team!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#197 » Oct 14 2017 06:34

Tael wrote:I'm not so great on rules answers or advice on lists, but have say, super jelly of the new Pathfinder team!

I'm happy not receiving critique on my army list as that wasn't my intention, otherwise I would have posted it in the Cadre Building boards :)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#198 » Oct 14 2017 06:43

Touche' good Sir :D

Looking forward to the rebased ShadowSun and the new turret build!

Return to “Project Logs”