Rizzle's Incident Resolution Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Rizzle
Kor'La
Kor'La

Rizzle's Incident Resolution Cadre

Post#1 » Nov 08 2017 10:53

To my immense shame I have only played one (1) game of Warhammer 40,000 with a fully painted force at 1,000pts or above. That's in 16 years - the entire history of the Tau miniatures line. That's clearly not acceptable.

So here's my plan.
In mid April 2018 I'll be joining a buddy for a store-held escalation tournament: A series of five games at 500, 1,000, 1,500, 2,000 and 2,500pts. That's my deadline and to make that more tangible I'm adding the extra deadline of posting weekly progress updates here on the orbital. Thanks to a delightful toddler I can't expect progess to be too quick, mind...

Given that we expect 1-2 major changes to the T'au Empire rules between now and the event I'm not going to worry about the specific composition yet. From a cursory look at lists and the models I want to use, here's where I'm starting:

That collection runs from wholly unpainted and through 4ish styles of painting I used in that time, but at least I've got them neatly assembled. The one thing I want to add is a 'centrepiece' Coldstar, but we'll come to that later. The hook, at least initially, wil be a force deployed by Tigershark to support a minimal Pathfinder team - Coldstar, Remora and tactical drones are the tip of the spear for my 500pt stage. I'm also contemplating some XV9 'Hazard' suits to complement the subtheme of "rad models with wings" in the force.

To pick out some highlights...

These fine birds from 2015 are the first infantry unit I painted I was happy with. I'll explain the colour choices if I get around to adding more models to them. The team leader (and sometimes Shaper..) was a lot of fun to decorate!

The Ghostkeel was a daunting project, and though it needs snow adding to the base I'm glad to have it. The weapons are (thankfully) magnetised.

Before Shadow War came along I was gearing up to paint my Cadre's armoured units. This disgruntled Kor'ui is my Longstrike stand in, and the basis of the avatar Tael kindly drew for me. In short, they are overdue some paintwork.

Thes 2 shots show how my personal style has evloved. The Pathfinders on green bases were painted within a year of the first release of the Tau line, the 'powerdered' fabric team in 2012 and the punchier, more cartoon-y team in 2017 as part of my Shadow War force. Although it still takes me a long while to get it as clean as I'd like, the sharper colours and contrast make for a more pleasing team.

As it stands, these are the only teams I've finished in that style. The vespid count-as do a great job of linking my 'armour' camoflague pattern in with my infantry pattern, something that otherwise rests on the shoulders of the drones.
And drones don't even have shoulders.

Finally, a treat! This (unbased) model is my most recent and was built to be a markerlight only cadet in Shadow War campaigns. Not sure if I'll use them as a Pathfinder Shas'Ui, Shas'la or something else but I'm certainly going to find a use for them.

So that's my zeroth entry in the log! Wish me luck :D
Last edited by Rizzle on Nov 08 2017 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Rizzle
Kor'La
Kor'La

Re: Rizzle's Incident Resolution Cadre

Post#2 » Nov 08 2017 10:56

WEEK ONE: SEND IN THE DRONES
As a warm up I am aiming to finish some partially completed drones. As it happens, the very first 40k models I ever painted were drones:

Long before my cadre had heroes, or even a name, Kor'vessa Co'lin had a bespoke paint scheme and personality! Whilst the hideous navy/green drones will be repaired, stripped and repainted, Co'lin will remain untouched in recognition of its long service ;)

The aim is for all the drones to end up like these fine friends:

So far, the group I'm finishing have the lower sections sorted and the top armour whitened ready for camouflaging.

I confidently predict that this will be a very easy week and everything is going to go fine. Having said that, in editing these initial posts I see that I ought to have set a wider aperture when taking the photos. Expect better pictures in future entries ;)
Last edited by Rizzle on Nov 08 2017 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Nov 08 2017 12:05

16 years? I guess time does fly when you're having fun...

That is the most classily dressed Kroot (shaper) I've ever seen. Love the big hat. Also it's nice to finally see the model behind the avatar!

Good luck with the weekly targets!

I'll be watching ;)

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Nov 08 2017 02:22

Yeah, subbed!

I'd call it a "sin" to miss out on a such gorgeous cadre's progress.
Looking forward to the future updates.

P.S. Those Vespid count as models are great looking! What bit's went into those jump packs? Thanks :D
Cheers!
Nix

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Nov 08 2017 09:18

Always been a fan on Remora drones, and the winged littlens are a great addition. Get those games going! :-)
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Nagito Komaeda
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 09 2017 02:18

This question is of utmost importance!

Where did you get the hat & cape for your Kroot? I sincerely love how it looks now!
Remember, it's all for the sake of Ultimate Hope!

Rizzle
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#7 » Nov 11 2017 04:35

Thanks for the lovely comments, folks. Makes the road ahead that much easier to think about; the real test, of course, will be seeing how well I can sustain the momentum. Happy to say the drones are almost ready for a debrief photo.

nix0n - The 'vespid' jump backs are XV25 Stealthsuit torsos trimmed down a little and plasticard wings. The 'screw head' detail was scraped off a part of the torso I was otherwise throwing away and embedded along the scored panel lines. If I were building the unit today I would use pulse blasters instead of modifying carbines, but c'est la vie.

Nagito Komaeda - The cape came from a friend's bitz box; I'll check in with him but am 90% sure it's from a High Elf kit. The hat is greenstuff, plus a feathered charm from the Kroot sprue. I built this squad shortly after finishing a pirate Skaven army and couldn't stop making tricorn hats. If I were playing Age of Sigmar these days I would 100% be working on a pi-rat Sky-ven army using the Kharadron Overlords....
The trick was making a natural cutout to fit the quills! I'll take some photos of the freebooter (freekrooter?) when I set up my lightbox for the Week 1 check-in.

Rizzle
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#8 » Nov 14 2017 04:09

Week Two: There's Remora Work To Do

Time for a check in! Here's my progress this week:

Not too shabby, though I think I underestimated how much surface there was to tidy up on these blighters. Two observations at this stage...
  • Once again I must curse my younger self for picking 'stormtrooper white' as my colour scheme. I've evolved it to a point I like quite a lot, but it's fiddly. I suspect I've passed the point to switch to very light grey + white edge highlights,
    too.
  • I haven't applied squad markings yet. I'm 50:50 on whether to do freehand or transfer marks, so I've deferred the decision. I had success with both when building my Shadow War team and I'd appreciate thoughts either way :nice:

This is my next job, then, and once again the assembly and 'under detail' is sorted for me. The partial paint job was the first steps in making this match my stealth pattern:

Now that the Remora drones don't have a 'proper' stealth field rule I'll be switching over to match my standard armour camo pattern, so these should end up as big siblings of last week's marker drones. My gut says this will take ~10 days, but my heart reckons I can squeak it in to the week...

Rizzle
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#9 » Nov 14 2017 04:19

A quick note on photography, and the freekrooter's hat

The other thing I'm enjoying playing with in this log is photographing models. This week I tried a white backdrop and forced a wider aperture and while both had advantages I didn't control for brightness as well as I would like. I think I'll continue to play with the white backdrop but also default to the blue - it give such crisp results for minimum effort.

Which is to say: sorry for the slightly wonkier photos this week.

I promised some close ups of the kroot leader's hat. As I was cropping the shots I noticed the poor model has picked up a lot of foam fluff from the storage box :roll:

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Nov 14 2017 05:47

Amazingly fast and productive progress!
This reminds me that I should have gotten my projects already finished a long, loong time ago... :roll:

Also thank you for the bitz info. I'm surprised that I was not able to identify the part itself by taking a closer look. I'm not that big of a fan of those XV25 suits, maybe that's why.

I'm really keen on seeing what else you'll be bringing on the table!
Cheers!
Nix

Return to “Project Logs”