Tau'shan Cadre WIP [ Preparing for WAR!!!]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Tau'shan Cadre WIP [ Preparing for WAR!!!]

Post#379 » Jul 05 2014 12:38

Very impressive! I love a fully painted force. So much more fun to play with and against!
It inspires others to complete their armies. Thumbs up for this!

Am I correct with my observation. You only have two troop choices, and thats 14 fire warriors?
I am guessing your plan is to totally annihilate the enemy with the fire power from the Riptides.

Good luck tomorrow!

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#380 » Jul 06 2014 03:56

Greetings Commanders.

Well the event I was hosting went really well yesterday with the majority of players having fun despite their results. In the end I only got to play the one game as we had an uneven amount of players turn up and I was feeling guilty after totally annihilating the Tyranids.
The Tyranid player conceded the game by his second turn. I was given the name of 'Beardy McBearderson' for using the Riptides and the R'Varna in a army. I felt quite guilty over the speed at which the game finished that I banned myself from playing my Tau in further events.

Anyhow, here's a photo of the game after I had finished my first turn firing which I had killed approximately 45 models.

The empty spaces between the Gargoyles and the Flying Tyrant was filled with Gargoyles and Guants a plenty but luckily I made my Nova charge and Gets hot rolls.

I'll pop up some of the other photos a little later after I have finished uploading them.

Tau'va

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#381 » Jul 06 2014 04:22

Well it's nice that it went well for you. But to be honest I had a feeling that you would get branded a beardy player with all those riptides.
In Sweden we are fanatics in composition points when building an army. This to create an fairly even battle between the armies.
Others frown at our composition, but in the end we are not encountering as many uneven battles as I see on various forums.

I don't think you should ban your self from playing Tau. But rather adjust your list so it's more equal between your armies.

To give you a measurement of a simple calculation we use.
Each unit that is considered overpowered or unit combinations, gives one negative composition point.
In general each riptide generates one point each.

Around here we usually play with a maximum of 3 negative composition points for armies between 1750-2000 pts.
Just your riptides alone are 4 points. And the rest of the army is not calculated for yet.

Of course same goes for the tyranids. They have their negative units and combinations too. If you can give me a list he used I can see the beardyness factor difference between your armies.
Usually one point difference is ok. More than that and the army with more beardyness points will roll over the other army easier and easier.

*edit
A rough calculation of composition from what i can see of your armies.
Tau Empire: 6
Tyranids: 2-3

And that kind of differnce is huge.
Additional notes, Tau empire/Farsight enclave are hit hard by this composition list. But by all rights. We do have nasty units. But it also forces us, who use it, to use other units and combinations.

To give a measurement of the difference between your armies. You are basically fighting with almost a twice as large force.

I am no saint in this my self. My battle report in the battle report section is a fight with me at 5 composition vs his 2.
Throughout the fight i was basically only using 1250 pts vs 2000 pts. And still i crushed him. After that game i serisously went back to the drawing board to create a more balanced list to match the others.

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#382 » Jul 06 2014 06:57

Thanks Vash that seems like a really interesting system for working out balancing out games. They Tyranids had two Exocrines, the Harpy, a Flying Tyrant, a heirodule (which was in reserve) three Zoanthropes, a Tyrant prime and two other Lictor type things that I had know idea what they were but gave the Exocrines 'Shrouded'. At the start of his second turn when he conceded the game he actually had four objectives under his control to my one. If he continued he would've had his Flyrant or Harpy in close combat of the R'Varna and maybe my Commander with the Sniper team he was with. Fortunately for me he threw in the towel when he did.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#383 » Jul 06 2014 07:10

Well it has it's good sides and bad sides with these systems. Veteran players who like to win no matter the cost will abuse the system to their favor. Finding loop holes to boost their army strength.

Currently there is two systems which is used in Sweden. Both systems are made from veteran players and getting inputs from any player who joins the forum.
It is also recommended when using either system that a tournament organizer optimizes it for his local meta.

The two different systems difference is roughly:
One is very detailed for basically each unit in the game. Each giving either plus or minus points. There are also details for unit combinations and allies.

The other system is much faster and gives a more general idea where the army stands in cheesiness.
It only covers the most overpowered units and combinations.
This is the system my local community uses mostly.
Here is a link to the system and all the armies composition points. Some units are not included, such as FW units.
It's in English

https://n8h9iw.dm1.livefilestore.com/y2 ... oad&psid=1

I hope you don't give up on your masterfully painted tau. I would hate to see that happen.

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#384 » Jul 07 2014 07:23

Vash wrote:I hope you don't give up on your masterfully painted tau. I would hate to see that happen.

I'm considering offering to play him again without any Riptides or a R'Varna... Well, I'll leave him to get over it a little more first I think.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#385 » Jul 07 2014 08:24

Brokensword wrote:
Vash wrote:I hope you don't give up on your masterfully painted tau. I would hate to see that happen.

I'm considering offering to play him again without any Riptides or a R'Varna... Well, I'll leave him to get over it a little more first I think.

Ah thats good to hear. But 1 Riptide isn't overdoing it. Tyranids have more than one monstrous creature at their disposal ;)

When you play against him next time, I would limit myself to one of each non TROOP choice. Meaning no double riptide, not more than one unit of Broadsides, not more than one Hammerhead and so on.
HQ is another story. The HQ choices are so customisable, so they can of course be doubles of XV8 commanders (imo).

Now it might prove a challenge the first times you build a list like this. But it opens up a lot of new tactics for you to utilise. You have to think more of unit synergy and the right unit at the right position at the right time.
My current FSE army is build in this way. Only multiple occurring units is my crisis suits, whom are TROOP choices.
No one has complained so far, but do say it's a colourful army packed with surprises.

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#386 » Apr 13 2017 04:50

Greetings once more my fellow Commanders, it has been a while since my last report into the ATT Orbital but events have now allowed me to return. :)

Hobby wise I have been very heavily involved with the Horus Heresy for the last few years and I have created for myself a number of vast armies that cover a few of my favourite Legions/Factions within the setting to date. However, with everything that's been going on this anniversarial year for GW and all the excitement going on with the direction things are going with, I have been pulled back into the 40k timeline and with that my Tau.reinforcing my focus with the new Shadow War system I decided to do a Pathfinder team but then I noticed a few of my online/gaming friends have started to follow the path of the Greater Good and thus I have deactivated the Tau'shan 337th Tactical Assault Cadre with immediate effect. So, that's basically the reason why I have returned and here's what I have been up to recently.

So basically a Pathfinder team and some extra detailing upon some of my Broadsides, it's a start I guess.

Until I have more to report.

Tau'va

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#387 » Apr 13 2017 06:14

Mmm that blue and sand scheme. Lovely. Welcome back!

Good to see the cadre in action again for Shadow War, tight little group - look forward to their exploits.

As for Horus Heresy, don't blame you; I've heard good things about the rules. :D

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#388 » Apr 14 2017 03:23

Welcome back man. I look forward to seeing you move forward in the name of the greater good. I also hadn't realised how long it's had been!

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#389 » Apr 14 2017 03:30

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:Welcome back man. I look forward to seeing you move forward in the name of the greater good. I also hadn't realised how long it's had been!

Greetings "Shas'O Darklighter" and yes, it has been a while. :biggrin:

Good to see that you've been busy with your Cadre, always good to see a familiar face amongst the assembled Shas. :)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#390 » Apr 14 2017 05:20

I've still not managed to climb the ranks yet but I've had my nose to the grind stone... I know what you mean it is nice to come back and see not everything and everyone has changed.

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#391 » Apr 19 2017 08:54

Greetings fellow Commanders.

So my return to the Greater Good has been enhanced with the acquisition of one of the starter box sets and I must say that the price and quality of the new kits is most impressive.

So this is what I managed to assemble last night.

I've just got to say that I absolutely love the Tau Breachers as well as the Turret but the new XV 8 kits are gorgeous, especially when it comes to posing them.

Tau'va.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#392 » Apr 19 2017 10:44

Shockingly I'm yet to buy a new Crisis suit box... I meant to but then got offered a steal of a price for an old kit! Breachers are up there as one of my favourite units to paint.... But I've always found Tau infantry units a pleasure to paint... I've no idea why, it just soothes me!

I've added two squads of Breachers so far I find they are overly deadly in Kill Team games but I've not really played them in full games yet... I'll find out more tomorrow as they'll be my only troop choice! How many do think you'll add to the Cadre?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#393 » Apr 19 2017 10:50

I actually hate painting Firewarrior, no matter which type. But Breacher just look so awesome and it feels so good to disembark and unleash a hail of S6 AP3 dakka from those little guys. :D

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#394 » Apr 19 2017 11:44

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:Shockingly I'm yet to buy a new Crisis suit box... I meant to but then got offered a steal of a price for an old kit! Breachers are up there as one of my favourite units to paint.... But I've always found Tau infantry units a pleasure to paint... I've no idea why, it just soothes me!

I've added two squads of Breachers so far I find they are overly deadly in Kill Team games but I've not really played them in full games yet... I'll find out more tomorrow as they'll be my only troop choice! How many do think you'll add to the Cadre?

Yeah I get where you're coming from with that Darklighter though to be honest, I do struggle more with painting the rank and file compared to Battlesuits and tanks.

Infantry wise I had recently gave away a load of Tau kits to my GF's boy that showed an interest in doing 40k... a decision that I am now regretting. :P

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#395 » Apr 19 2017 11:46

Panzer wrote:I actually hate painting Firewarrior, no matter which type. But Breacher just look so awesome and it feels so good to disembark and unleash a hail of S6 AP3 dakka from those little guys. :D

Breachers are so wonderfully filled with Dakka it's silly. I've been playing a lot of Zone Mortalis recently so these guys will be first on my army list for when I play it next. :D

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#396 » Apr 19 2017 04:04

Giving away models is always going to lead to regret! To be fair I still hate handing over commission work as it feels like mine once I've got paint on it, lol.

I'd love to play Breachers in Zone Mortalis! I just don't have anywhere to play it and a road trip to Nottingham although fun is a bit of a trek to do too often. Saying that I'm there next half term all going to plan. I might have to dust off the rules and maybe see about having a game then.... :nice:

Return to “Project Logs”