::-GD BLOG-:: [Closed] GOLD WON!

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Warhound
Shas

Re: 9 days until GD!!! ::-GD BLOG-::

Post#199 » Sep 22 2009 03:23

In answer to WOLF16's quite acceptable question:

"where's the updates dude?!"

I had moved onto the necron for a couple of nights, just to balance it out, make a suitable base, give myself a mental break and also chill out for a night off!;-)

I am working on the necron a bit tonight, but then back onto the suit- I promise shots will be up tomorrow as I was re-invigorated when I had my 4 entries lined up last night- that suit rocks even If I do say so myself!;-P

Still not totally happy with it, but I have all day Fri and Sat to get them all to finished standard, so in answer: No, not nervous, but excited yes! And that's the mental energy boost I need right now, because all I have done for the last 3 weeks is think GD- its wearing you know?
;-P

The Necron is holding up Caiphus Cain, who apparently is the only recorded human to have travelled through a necron warp gate and survived.... well this lord is taking out the trash!;-) The base is black onyx with green panelling and will be set in a snow context- frozen metal and stone!

cheers
W
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 5 days until GD!!! ::-GD BLOG-::

Post#200 » Sep 22 2009 04:59

I don't know if you saw this following qoute of mine, but seeing as your going to Games Day I thought i'd better share it with you ;)

Hey all,
I spoke with one of the guys at Forgeworld earlier today, fishing for information on any Tau related projects etc.

Well , I will just say that anyone going to Gamesday , that you better take your camera with you! :) He didn't confirm or deny that it was a suit, but he was quite upfront when I asked him about any Tau models in the pipeline, simply stating that " a new Tau model will be unveiled at Gamesday " . :biggrin:

I then spoke to Games workshop and asked the same question, but the guy just said that the Tau will probably get an update in the future, so no help there at all. :P

Well I've got my fingers crossed it's the forgeworld's version of an XV8 . :)

Tau'va.

Hope that you get some pictures of this for us all to perv over :P

Have fun and good luck!

Warhound
Shas

Post#201 » Sep 22 2009 05:29

Dude, I will be all over this like a rash!!!

The fact that they have only just got around to doing this does not surprise me, but you can bet that I will get all the best shots of our blue blooded friends!

Shots tomorrow folks!!

cheers
W

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#202 » Sep 22 2009 05:42

Warhound wrote:... you can bet that I will get all the best shots of our blue blooded friends!

No, you misunderstand. We want you to get the actual models. We'll all create a diversion and then you smash and grab. ;)

Warhound wrote:The Necron is holding up Caiphus Cain, who apparently is the only recorded human to have travelled through a necron warp gate and survived.... well this lord is taking out the trash!

No! I love Caiphus Cain!

I wish you the best man and I'm looking forward to the final product!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#203 » Sep 22 2009 10:12

Wolfs16 wrote:
Warhound wrote:... you can bet that I will get all the best shots of our blue blooded friends!

No, you misunderstand. We want you to get the actual models. We'll all create a diversion and then you smash and grab. ;)

With how awesome Warhound's resin casting skills are, it may actually be worth it! :biggrin:

Warhound
Shas

Post#204 » Sep 23 2009 03:56

Ok world- here I am from the depths of my pit, and the sweat blood and anguish are still drowning me!

NECRON
First up, we have the necron lord. You will see that the corpse has been completely finished now, with resplendent braiding etc etc, but I have decided that while I like the colour of the outer cloak- it does not sit with the composition at all. Therefore the outer cloak will become black tonight.
The original idea had been to make the setting a snow/ frost one, however, the blues interfere with the green and silvers of the lord and so the base/ setting will become a desert one. Nothing over the top, but dust gathering in corners and swirling around him, I think will make the setting work. It also means that the whole piece will be based around 4 colours: Green, yellow(mustard), black and a spot colour of red. Normally you should work within a 3 colour base, but as there is a foreign element, this will allow for the additional colour. The silvers and Golds are neutral and so will tie the others together. Having the blue at the moment is just too much. What do you guys think to the base? It is not finished by any means, but the construction I think is good enough to support it, and the plinth arrangement itself is strategic, as while a 40mm base would be allowable, by funelling the width down, detracts the eye from the true base diameter.

XV-8.2
As I have said before, because of the nature of airbrushing, the differences in each stage are more subtle than normal and so, to the uneducated, it may appear that I have done not a lot to the suit... they would be right :P Actually, that is not so much the case. The pods have been finished, all marking placements are down, lenses touched up, 1/2 of black>grey highlighting has been achieved, shoulder pad highlighted and a few other bits and bobs. To be fair it is only now after 48 hours away from the piece that I can see the true path to completion, am comfortable with the pallet and have slightly changed the pose (preferred?) This really will be a the last thing to be done, as I want to nail this one! To point out also, highlighting and simultaneously shading a pre-airgunned area is incredibly laborious- easy, but laborious! It only takes 3 colours, but making sure that all areas are smooth transitions that match the original sprayed camo and take on zenithal highlights is a head ache! Anyway, onto the shots!

The puppet master of Mordheim
This piece has been around for a while- it actually got disqualified a few years ago, as they thought it was a Rackham model!!!?? As I pointed out to Alan Merrett (chief judge) in a hour long debate, if you are going to make a call on subject matter, at least know your subject matter!! (Rackham and Mordheim are very similar in styling- is it my fault that GW ripped them off? :crafty: ) He then published (at least in the uk) a 3 page editorial mirroring our debate- good to know I got through to them;-)
Fantasy single entry.

Please forgive the photos, I will edit them during the course of the day so that they are upright etc;-)

So, any thoughts, comments, slating will be appreciated!?

cheers
W

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Re: 4 days until GD!!! ::-GD BLOG-::

Post#205 » Sep 23 2009 10:11

Necron:
Yeah, change the Commissars coat to black. The blue does look a little too bright. I love what you did on the Lord's head; it looks perfect! The base is really cool looking as well. How did you make that? And as for the Resurrection Orb, that is made out of green stuff right? How did you get it so smooth and round?

XV-8.2:
Looking good! the new pose is good and shows off the model. But I am a fan of aggressive poses, so I'd like to see him more crouched and looking toward his target. However, that pose would not show off all the cool stuff you did with this guy, so I say leave it as is. One thing caught my eye though, are the top panels of the thigh segments highlighted? They look a little too dark to me.

Puppet Master:
Ugh, this thing gives me the creeps. I won't comment on anything simply because I really don't like that model.

All in all, looking good buddy! :D

Warhound
Shas

Post#206 » Sep 23 2009 10:30

cheers man!

The necron orb was indeed made from Green stuff! Simply roll a ball of it after 20 mins of curing time and it will be stiff enough to retain most of its shape (this may take some time to practise with). When dry it will have a little bit of a 'flat' from where it has rested, but no great shakes as this is where the pin will go in;-P
I then dremelled using brass tubing, to create the circles within the surface and then just connected the circles randomly with a sharp knife!;-)

The cloak will defo be blacked up tonight- using a nice flat black from Tamiya (I have a gloss from Vallejo, but this will also detract from the lord)

The suit, nothing other than the head, shield arm and pods have been highlighted on the main armour, so these areas will be broken up when it comes to the finish line;-) Changing the pose drastically now is a no go, but the 'impact' on the base lends itself well to a landing position, but it will be made tighter through lean of the model and the head position;-)

The Puppet Master- what's not to like? Nurgle: tick, maggots: tick, slightly pedo/ creepy: tick :P :P

I know, he should be carrying a Rail cannon! :roll:

cheers
W

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#207 » Sep 23 2009 10:45

Warhound wrote:I know, he should be carrying a Rail cannon! :roll:

When you said that I began picturing great works of art, all sweetened by adding a rail gun.

Art Expert: "Ah, this is Leonardo da Vinci's famous painting, The Mona Lisa."

Me: "Yeah, it's alright. But you know what would make it better? Friggin' railgun on her shoulder."
----

Thanks for the answers though!

Warhound
Shas

Post#208 » Sep 23 2009 10:48

LMAO! :P

Too true, too true:-)

So excited about this weekend!!!! Anyone else attending?

cheers
W

minamoto
Shas

Post#209 » Sep 23 2009 10:50

Hi Warhound,

The Necron Lord turned out really great. But I would leave the cloak more blue than blackening it out to much. So you have a nice subtle contrast to the Lord black could be too similar with the silver and grey of the Lord. Maybe a bit darker blue will suit the cloak better.
The Base is truely cool. I liked the first GS attempt on the Orb more, it looked more like living metal. But I guess it's a bit to late for that :P
To be honest the Orb you have done looks to plain and boring to me. To similar to the base.
My two Cents.

The Suit is amazing I definitely would leave it the way it is. The Camo pattern is turning out awesome with your airbrush technique. And the Pose looks great too.
"To eternity and further..." it's saying to me.

The Muppet-Master looks great to me. A good subtle nurgly hint it has :P
Face and Detail work leave me speachless. Also the Base is top-notch.

I wish you best of luck then for GD!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#210 » Sep 23 2009 10:31

Looking great Warhound, the suit is top rate and as they say.. a Contender.

The Puppet Master is superb, but your admission issues last time bring up a sore point with me about the whole GD circuit. The core of my issue is for a long time, winning entries are barely original Warhammer models any more. In fact a majority are merely eluding to the background and pathos of Warhammer.

To me a painting competition is painting a standard miniature and winning out by sheer skill. There should be a categories for this alone, universally.

I admire the work and all that, but I've seen god-like painting skill on unmodified miniatures, but they never win because the painter lacks the skills to convert, ergo.. he/she is considered not a great painter. Complete (Censor Drone - Kzzzt!).

You have a rare set of combined skills Warhound, so rock that GD table :)

~ Tael.

Warhound
Shas

Post#211 » Sep 29 2009 03:42

guys..... I GOT GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!! WITH THE XV-8.2!!!!

I don't know how, as I finished painting the puppy at 6.53am, but I managed to beat some close friends of mine to the post and so, I would like to thank all here on the forum who have taken the time to give me some incredibly strong input on the suit, especially:

J8, MINAMOTO, WOLFYBOY, MIOND, TAEL, ZAC, ORPHEUS, MIRACLEFISH, BS whom without, my bubble would have burst!

I am back out of the office today, but just wanted to put the word out and to say, have a look at my input for the new tau suits..... PROPER pics will be up tomorrow:-)

....and yes, these new suits will be squad for next year!!!

cheers to the ATT community!

W
Last edited by Warhound on Sep 29 2009 03:55, edited 1 time in total.

Martial
Gue

Re: ::-GD BLOG-:: closed+ GOLD WON!!!!

Post#212 » Sep 29 2009 03:53

Congrats Warhound!! :biggrin:

It take you too much time to scracth build those suits and get a good composition!

You really deserve it!

*bow in respect* :fear:

¤Martial¤
Last edited by Martial on Sep 29 2009 04:01, edited 1 time in total.

Fraggle
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#213 » Sep 29 2009 04:00

Nice one!

Now, get painting more models for next year.... ;)

EDIT: I forgot to ask, how did your other entries do?

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#214 » Sep 29 2009 04:16

Warhound your the man!

Congratulations, you deserved it.

paulson games
Shas

Post#215 » Sep 29 2009 05:04

Just wanted to say great job on the golden demon, it's well deserved you did absolutely amazing work on your suit. :)

PS you should add some close up detail shots of it soon that way we can begin licking our screens to taste it's sheer goodness. ;)
Last edited by paulson games on Sep 29 2009 05:23, edited 1 time in total.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#216 » Sep 29 2009 05:10

Oh well, you can't win 'em all. The only thing that matters is that you tried your b-

...What? You WON!? Awesome! :biggrin:

You really deserved it man. That is a beautiful suit and your hard work really paid off. It makes me smile to see all your progress and to know how much ATT helped. Digital high five!

Return to “Project Logs”