::-GD BLOG-:: [Closed] GOLD WON!

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 15 days until GD!!! ::-GD BLOG-::

Post#163 » Sep 11 2009 09:03

Hey Warhound, looking good!

I have to say...more than anything else, I like the blue vents on his shoulders and the amazingly modeled shoulder pads- Forgeworld right?

BTW is the Tau symbol on his shoulder painted bleached bone?
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

Warhound
Shas

Post#164 » Sep 11 2009 09:07

Hey MJ,

The vents are Koto sprue bits and the shoulder pads are real FW pieces;-)

The bone is actually bleached, fortress, black and ivory vallejo. It's a base colour just to block in at the moment- it will be highlighted to be polished and a lot brighter- more whitey;-P

cheers
W
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#165 » Sep 11 2009 09:49

J8's idea is perfect! I think I might have to use that on my own suits! Hurry and paint it Warhound before you change your mind again! :P

J8
Shas

Post#166 » Sep 11 2009 10:09

As requested,
I would have already had one of these available if I hadn't my collar/shoulder blocking on an image without sufficient leg.
http://aftermath-sector.com -- Worldwide Wh40k Campaign

Warhound
Shas

Post#167 » Sep 11 2009 10:20

Hey J8,

Thanks so much again for this! If I do win, you guys will all be announced on the stage! :D

Yes, I shall be going home soon and have no comp at the moment, so this will be it- hopefully, the whole thing will be done and posted Monday morning!

No going back now! :roll:

Have a great one guys!

cheers
W

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#168 » Sep 11 2009 10:22

Good luck, man!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#169 » Sep 11 2009 10:58

Its freaking terrible, I don't know what you're thinking?! Dude.. it;s the tone.. the graduations.. (head in hands).. sob sob..

Oh the the Tau'va... think of the 'saals!

Actually, I kinda like the vents idea.. and those colours choices, they're pretty good. That FW shoulder set really does blend well with the elongated thigh profile and the lens flare.. thats spot on, in fact, I like it! Yes..more more!

Late night humour aside, I think the use of airbrush is bold but with purpose and your brush control doesn't let the two mediums clash at all. I'm with J8 on balancing the flare colours. Some of the position choices are spot on visually.

Honestly, not much to add except support for comments added and my interest in the results come Monday.

best.
Tael.

PS. One seriously large plate of sushi if someone figures that reference...

Warhound
Shas

Post#170 » Sep 11 2009 11:04

lmao!! :P

After our little chat, oh the irony of a severe slating! ;)

Glad you like it man, the hardest (and easiest) bit is using the airbrushed colours and tones as a 'guide' for then hand painting the smoother colour over the top. This lets me smooth our any spatter and 'bobbling' that can come with the odd air spurt.

Once each plate/ panel is smoothed, it is then quite easy to then sharp highlight the edges :crafty:

SO, jobs to be done: tonight
Finish ochre plate arrangements
Finish all vent highlights
Place markings in position

Tomorrow:
All black areas

Sunday:
All armour and base!!!

OUCH

see you soon!

w

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#171 » Sep 11 2009 11:07

really good job there ... can't say much but:

Tael wrote:Oh the the Tau'va... think of the 'saals!

i am quite sure its from the simpsons, in one episode its said by Moe and in the other its said by Mrs Lovejoy:

"please, can't anyone think of the children?" (or sort of that i only saw that in german)

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo (there you got it)
Last edited by Che Gue'vesa on Sep 11 2009 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

Warhound
Shas

Post#172 » Sep 11 2009 11:09

oh, and would he benefit from a drone or 2?

cheers
W

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#173 » Sep 11 2009 11:15

Oooh gosh.. I have a suspicion it will only detract from the piece.

Not unlike that Baltimore entry a few years back with the Drone buzzing about the base.. I found it annoying and interfered with admiring the Battlesuit on it's own.

And you got one reference there Che'... the whole abusive tirade that turns into praise is actually from the two old guys in the gallery of the Muppet Show.

~ Tael.

Warhound
Shas

Post#174 » Sep 11 2009 11:18

Hmm, good point- I know the one that you are on about;-)

Also, means less work (yippee!)

cheers
W

right- off home now folks- it's too late to go back now....NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D

edit - but, but.. I just came up with an idea that could win you the Slayer Sword!... oh well, off to make some tea then.. - Tael.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#175 » Sep 11 2009 11:29

I agree that no drones would be the way to go. As much as I love the hardest working members of the Empire, Tael is right that it would detract from the model. I really don't have anything to add! Keep on the path and you'll be done soon!

Oh and if you win, I won't be embarressed if you thank me and only me for all the guidance I've given you. It's the least I can do. :P

Haha, seriously though, everyones suggestions have been fantastic throughout this whole project; really inspiring stuff! And you've done a great job Warhound. You truly are an artist! I hope you win!

mangozac
Kor

Post#176 » Sep 11 2009 07:09

Wow I go out for one night and there's a couple of pages of new posts!

It's looking great Warhound and I agree J8's suggestion is spot on. So unfortunately I've got nothing more to add...

I've got my last two lab reports for a few weeks due on Monday, then I have to finish some work stuff this week but I'm hoping next weekend will be resuming of modelling time. Finally. :evil:

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#177 » Sep 12 2009 11:00

I made one of these for Wolf16, but seeing as these suits are almost identical, I had to make one for you too.
Congratulations, you have won the almost prestigious Agentarrow Best Converted Mini award.

paulson games
Shas

Post#178 » Sep 12 2009 01:42

I think this is progressing at an amazing pace and your airbrush control is astounding. Only thing I can get mine to work for is base coating. For the more detailed areas are you masking them or doing it freehand like some sort of airburshing god?

I really like the ochre panel around the sept symbol, yes it breaks the camo a bit but it look very bold and strong. Having the right leg panel striped in a matching color is a good idea as is the opposing shoulder as it'll draw the line in a zigzag pattern. Eye movement across the figure is a definate boost to the overall impression. If the missles tips are also in the ochre color it'll complete the flow into a sort of "S" pattern across the model.

Looks great and the camo is very effective you can tell what you are looking at but the shifting grades keep you from seeing spot on which is what camo is supposed to do. The lighter spots draw the eye towards the edges slightly, almost looks as though it's coming out of a cloaking field and reminds me a bit of the mirror-like metallic crisis suits.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/155067 (not sure if this was one of the mirror suits that was in WD but looks close)

With all the detail and shades it has a slightly dizzy-ing effect but the ochre colors will help keep the eye locked on the key areas of the piece.

I am so looking forward to seeing this bad boy done.

Edit: while i was looking around for interesting patterns and the mirror suit I found this on dakka, very cool blue water camo, not as well painted as you stuff but I think there may be a cool hybrid camo theme possible for a future model. Scroll about half way down the page

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 05229.page
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#179 » Sep 13 2009 11:44

Despite being late to the party (was out of town for the weekend) I figured I'd thrown up a few additional ideas of my own..

Image Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Between J8's and my own suggestions, however, I'm thinking the problem at present isn't finding the one that fits, but picking one over the others.
I'm fortunately (Finally!) starting on my education tomorrow, which unfortunately also means I'll have less time off to fiddle with suggestions
:dead: (ach the woes of reality)

Warhound
Shas

Post#180 » Sep 14 2009 04:02

Good morning world!

Ok, so I was a little ambitious :neutral:

Forgetting how anal I can get about details and highlights, the suit is not finished..however, there is a bulk of stuff done!(Hurrah I hear you cry!)

To be honest, over the next 2/3 nights it will be done- its the long stuff that needs doing- Black highlighting and then go over the armour plates. The detail has on the main been placed where I think it looks best (please crtitique), the base done (although I like the idea better of sand base with the dark rocks?)

Still being WIP, there are rough areas still such as the rear vents need tidying up and scripture tightening;-)
(Still a cookie on offer for who ever can transcribe all the font?)

@Paulson- all areas were airbrushed in only 3 layers/ colours and I used a dual control brush at about 3-4 mm diameter- this is enough to do most stuff. Once the base colour was on (all the blue to eggshell), that when I blocked in the black etc. I must point out, that ALL sigils, fonts marking etc have been hand painted and without masking (hence it taking so god darn long!)

@TAEL So, what's this world shattering idea dude? I have the time and inclination for changes now....?

@Agent Arrow- nice work- I have saved this down!;-P

@Miond- late to the party but always welcome!- And some more great ideas- as you can see, I have already done some of the areas that you have rendered, but I will have a closer look at some of these and post in a little while;-P

SO, onto the shots... and the inspiration!

Keep it Teracotta or make it sandy?

I will be adding some T'au sept symbols to the bare missle pod and also to the round generator cover on the back, once it is all done.

Any thoughts?

cheers
W

Return to “Project Logs”