[Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (COMPLETE)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Panarus
Shas

Re: [Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (Updated 7-01-10)

Post#541 » Jul 02 2010 04:55

I too go with the Chinsensor...
As for the winglets and the sms...at the first moment I thought of tilting them too...but it´s too mamy hanging parts...I like it quit a lot with them being straight and the sms below..
It forms working units, i.e. all engines tilted, "all" weapons straight (might also be considered for weapons to come).
May burning heretics guide us through the darkness.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Re: [Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (Updated 7-01-10)

Post#542 » Jul 03 2010 12:20

Panarus:
I agree with your idea about the winglets, but I really think a new mounting system is in order.

I decided that trying to find a place for the winglets was just not working. So I put the engine nubs back on the top and decided to attach the SMS to it. I think it works out really well! I especially like how it takes out the problem of the secondary weapons getting in the way of the turret, but it still puts it in a position where it can effectively shoot with no obstructions.

I considered how I would attach a drone, but decided that since most Hammerhead builds don't use Drones, I should be fine. Thoughts?

Oh and if you haven't already, check out my last post which contained Master Shaper Luco's background. There is a lot revealed about the cadre there, but believe me, it is not the whole story... ;)

SpartanTau
Kor'Vre
Kor'Vre

Re: [Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (Updated 7-03-10)

Post#543 » Jul 03 2010 12:40

Wolfs16 :
Dropping the drones was a great idea! Those new mounts look great, and I agree that worry about drones probably won't matter. I wouldn't be surprised if that option was even removed in our next Codex, but of course we can't worry about that yet! I think you have a good solution, and once you clean up all the joints we can finally see what happens next!

The fluff is great as well... Definitely reveals a lot about the background without revealing too much. To me, at least, there's still a lot of mystery surrounding the cadre, which is perfect for the background (even if its just because all of the background hasn't been written yet).

Eagerly awaiting the next installment!
ON EXTENDED LEAVE

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#544 » Jul 03 2010 01:08

I couldn't agree with SpartanTau more! The Hammerhead is superb, and the fluff is great. I still think that it needs to have some sort of nose sensor. Do you have an extra missile rack from a sky ray? part of the base could be used on the nose, the piece where all the sensors go.

Kaiizen
Shas

Post#545 » Jul 04 2010 01:20

I really like the model overall. I think the orientation on the thrusters are just right and it makes everything look very compact and sleek.

The railgun has bothered me from the begining though and I thought I'd see where you went with this in the long run before I said anything about it. The railgun itself is very well done and the body is looking fantastic as well, but when you put the two together it doesn't feel right. The biggest problem for me is how high up on the body that gun sits. It totally ruins the sleek, fast look you have going on with the body of the tank.

I would personally love to see that gun mounted as flush as you can get it with the body of the tank. As it is it gives it a really high center of gravity and makes the vehicle look really top heavy and unbalanced. I really like the look of both the railgun and the tank but I just don't think they work together.

Sorry if I'm a downer but I had to say something before it was way too late otherwise I'd never forgive myself. Honestly, I think the only thing it really needs is to have that railgun rotated 90 degrees so that it sits on the broad side of the gun rather than the narrow side.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#546 » Jul 04 2010 12:13

SpartanTau:
Glad you like it! I think adding the drone wings just wasn't working and after taking a step back, I realized what I needed to do. I'm also glad you liked the background! I just want to add a layer of complexity to Lar'shi's situation and really question what it means to do things for the Greater Good. The question was asked before in my "Investigation" fluff piece, but when do the ends stop justifying the means?

Agentarrow:
I don't have any extra bits from the Skyray, but I know the one your talking about and I think it would be perfect! Gah! I don't know how to get my hands on it though... Any other ideas?

Kaiizen:
Thank you so much for your critique! Your points were all very valid and I can see what you're saying about the height of the gun. When I was first building it, I considered mounting it on its side, but I found it difficult to mount and didn't care much for the look. Plus, when it is painted, you couldn't see the cool gun details from the side like you can when it is vertical. So that was mainly why a vertical mounting was used. Now, as my fluff progressed I thought about what I would want to do with my Hammerhead. I thought about the tanks role and what the ARC-16's would be using them for. That's when it hit me: A Bio Titan killer. Not saying this thing can one hit KO them, but I wanted to have an experimental weapon in the army which would add character to the vehicle as a whole. I have Knarlocs with missile pods for goodness sake, I felt like my Hammerhead needed some love! :D

So my idea for this was that I wanted the Hammerhead to look like a mobile gun platform, not necessarily a speedy skimmer. So to have a somewhat over-sized gun gave it a really cool look that I just liked. So essentially, this has become a "rule of cool" situation for me. I may experiment with lowering the mounting, but I honestly have no idea how I'd do that.

Thanks again for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it! I'm afraid that for now I must put the hobby knife down as I prepare for my journey. So no updates on the ARC-16's for a few weeks. But believe me, I will be back! In the meantime, anyone can feel free to post and I will respond whenever I can.

Null
Fio

Post#547 » Jul 05 2010 06:08

Hey Wolfs16

I like your idea of 'killing two birds with one stone'! Excellent use of the engine "nubs".

Did you decide how you were going to mount the front engines yet?

- null (sorry, TEPS is all out of skray parts)

Phoatu
Fio

Post#548 » Jul 05 2010 10:09

Oh no, you've lost the winglets! What a shame, what a shame... though admittedly the new mounts work really well. Too bad you can't always have the best of both worlds, eh? No big loss on being unable to put drones on your hammerhead; the only problem I'd have with losing the winglets is losing the drone mounts and making it harder to find a way to swap out the missiles for a couple of burst cannons.

Also, your fluff posts have always been an interesting read; the way you wrote up your master shaper really ties his model and character (and the other seemingly counts-as-xv8-gnarlocs) into roles reserved for battlesuit pilots. While this is very cool and serves to make your cadre truly unique; I'm curious if you intend to ever re-visit tau mechs (perhaps giving your broadside a brother or two to serve with).

Have fun wherever you're going and spread the greater good!

EDIT: when you can... do you have any alternate/closer shots of this thing:

Saw this thing in your photobucket and it's very much a conversion I'd like to get a better look at.
-What should be done if one discovers power in himself?

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#549 » Jul 05 2010 11:48

Null:
I am attaching the front engines at the angles you have seen in the pictures, but I will experimenting with a few things when I get back that will hopefully make it look less slapped on. (Glad I can rely on Fio'El B'Ga when I need him!)

Phoatu:
The winglets will be used on a future project, so don't worry about them going to waste. ;) As for the loss of Burst Cannon mounts, fear not! The SMS is magnetized and can be swapped out with my log barreled Burst Cannons at will once they too are magnetized.

I'm glad you enjoyed the background. I really liked working on Luco and I enjoyed writing his fluff. He is much more pleasant than my Shas'El, so it was nice to write about a positive character. :D As for other mechs, do you know that I have quite a large number of them already?

Crisis Team Mont'mesa
Crisis Team Yan'tak
Broadside Support Team O'ran

I plan on adding Stealth Suits and another Broadside, so that will be it for my Warhound variant suits. I also have 5 XV9's currently on order (including Shas'O R'alai), so you bet there will be a ton more suits in the future! :biggrin:

As for the Devilfish conversion that started all this Hammerhead nonsense, you can find more pictures here. There is a lot to look through, but it is some good stuff!

Alright my little Tau, this is my last post for the next few weeks. Thanks for all your comments and I'll see you soon! Feel free to post in the meantime though! :)

Null
Fio

Post#550 » Jul 06 2010 06:55

Wolfs16

Sorry, I was a little vauge with the question; Are you going to try mounting the front engines Peregrine's "EVE online" style or are you just going to glue them on and greenstuff the gaps?

@ Phoatu - Im not sure, but I don't think that D'fish is Wolfs16's. Take a look at some stuff done by lack0fbettername on WarSeer.

Wolfs16 wrote:Alright my little Tau, this is my last post for the next few weeks
No! Nooooooo!! Come back to us! Come back Wolfs16!!! Ha ha ha, enjoy the break.

- null

SpartanTau
Kor'Vre
Kor'Vre

Post#551 » Jul 06 2010 09:29

Wolfs16 :
Please don't go. The 'Saals need you. They look up to you.1

Seriously though, 5 XV9s and my Ke'lshan native O'R'alai? You are one lucky cadre commander, my friend. Just looked back through some of your fluff as well, just to... learn, since we may be in an intra-'Vre battle for best Project Logs (spoiler alert: I think you won). Now that I know what's coming, I am a little saddened that you won't be painting the models up to satisfy my urges, but such is life. Have fun!

- Kor'Vre SpartanTau

1: Quote from Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri when leaving a game before it ended, Tau-ified, of course.
ON EXTENDED LEAVE

Turbo_MMX
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#552 » Jul 06 2010 10:47

Ah NOOO, so now im gonna have to step up and keep the Kroot flame alive once more?

Enjoy your break my friend. Come back fresh and let the coolness continue :D
The Mighty Kroot Power Gamer!

Ah yes, ya gotta love it

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#553 » Jul 06 2010 03:12

Wow that's quite a metamorphosis that Hammerhead went through till now.

I like the look of it, it now has a real "Gunship" look.

Good luck on your journey away from ATT-Orbital and come back in one piece.

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#554 » Jul 09 2010 01:44

Hey Wolfs16! Sorry I've been away so long, I know you're probably dying without my expert painting advice ( :P ). Real Life (TM) has really been interfering with my Tau recently... but I just got two wisdom teeth removed, so I have some downtime. Yay, I think!

Anyways, here goes my thoughts on eight pages or so of updates...:

Page 20

Excellent painting all round, and I quite like the converted Skyray sensor. Have you used the skyray in any games yet? Did it fare well for you?
However I did see one thing - the tip of the magnetic burst cannon looks a little bland. Maybe you could paint it black or even drill the barrels?

The broadside fluff was great - I can just see railgun slugs spouting out of the Mawloc's sides!

Page 21:

So the Skyray turret is removable - how did you get it to stay upright I have difficulty with that. Magnets?

The first few attempts for albino Kroot I'm not sure about. I mean for one thing you'd have to explain it to everyone...

As for the Hammerhead, I'm undecided. I will look at later posts.

Page 22:

OK the first post about the hammerhead:
I really like the vents on the front, seems like it would be great with some bulking up in back.
However, I think that the engine block + fins is waaaay to compact and not menacing in the least. :-( I feel bad saying that in my first post since forever but...

Second Hammerhead post:
I'm still getting the feeling that his is way to compact. When coupled with that massive railgun....
Also the fin-things on the front look some what strange, it curves back and then forward again.

The Knarloc:
Interesting. The tan is what you painted, not the grey right? If that's the case I like it.
The purple area also looks nice, but I don't think that they would work together well...

Knarloc Update 2:

The weapons on his right side (FB+PR) look kinda bluky... Also, what happened to the Fusion Blaster barrels? :eek:
The painting is great. I'm not quite sure what you mean by underbelly; what I mean is, how much of i/which section?
The blackjaw is great, and for some reason his syes really stand out to me... very menacing!
You're right, his spear does look kind of short. But making it look seems like it would get stuck on his guns..

You're gone for most of July? Of course I came back in right as you left...
Will you still have internet access?

Page 23:

This is a long post...

The finished Luco looks great! Excellently painted! Love the vents on the back... for some reason this model looks fantastic to me.

I am happy with the way it all turned out, but I'm not sure about the Knarloc's beak. I think it kinda looks too much like lipstick. :D I wanted to create some highlights for the beak area, but I think it might need to streak it back a bit more. Any ideas guys?

NOO! Keep the black beak! It looks great as-is!

OK Now I see the Fusion Blaster barrels.... they look a little small. :? Personal preference I guess. The plasma barrel looks really cool though, IMHO.

Knarloc Update:
*Sob!* You ruined the beak!
Just kidding. I did like it better the way it was before, but this way also looks good... just not as good in my opinion...

Hammerhead Update:
The hammerhead is definitely improving! As for the front... I'm not sure... maybe up-armored sections on the central area? I though I had this one thread bookmarked, but apparently I didn't. I think you've seen it though - it also had sold panels instead of doors and armor on those cool little sections that are normally on the back of the chassis.

Skyray Update:
That glow effect is beautiful! I've also preferred solid colors on vents to glow, but you do it quite excellently... I'll have to think about this!
The fluff was a great story but - please don't take this the wrong way -not you best-written, IMHO. For instance:

They were indeed successful in eliminating most of the Harpies before they reached the shuttles and fortunately a pair of Barracudas was able to get in range and eliminate the ones that made it through.

Replacing the word "eliminate" with "destroy" or "obliterate" the second time would help, so as to avoid using the same word twice in that sentence. Stuff like that.

Knarloc Tattoo:
I don't know. I like the idea, but it looks a little smudgy. Like it's not a tattoo but rather a skin condition of some kind. :::(

Page 24:

Knarloc Tattoo:
Yes! Much improved!
So what do you guys think? Should I do more to it? Should I add a few more shapes around? Any input on this would be [b]greatly appreciated.[/b]

Perhaps adding some inner detail of some sort would enhance it, but it could make worse on the other hand.
Adding more designs could also work. But don't go overboard...

Eye Tattoo - very nice! That's what I'm talking about! :P
At first I was unsure about the red quills with orange tattoos, but it's looking spectacular after all. :D

Carnifex Fight [Fluff]
OK, I really like this piece. As a mattter of fact it got my blood pumping. But there were a couple rocky spots:

*Nitpick Warning*
Unarmed and on a world under Y'he assault and he knew he wouldn't last a dec without some kind of weapon.

I just think that this part would sound so much better as "he wouldn't last one dec..." rather than "he wouldn't last a dec..." Like I said, uber-nitpicky, but still.

Its dark purple skin glistened in the sun and its bone colored carapace shifted as it moved. Its four scything talons raised high in the air, preparing to strike right down on its prey. It let out another loud roar, triggering an instinctual reaction inside Doran to run.

Three sentences in a row starting with "it" or "its." :?

That's about it, like I said, I really liked this fluff entry. Keep up the good work, higher-ranking-person-than-me! :P

Hammerhead Update:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the hammerhead, so I will wait for future posts....
I will say that the SMS looks really flimsy where the missiles and the drone body are joined.

Page 25:

Hammerhead Update:
I just don't know, man. It's looking more and more cluttered... I'm reserving judgement for now but...

I like this idea:

It reminds me of a Droid Gunship from Starwars, which has alsways struck me as a rather Tau-style vehicle:

The angle on that pic makes it look kinda stupid and less-tau than I thought. Here's a better, but very small, pic:

If you want that pic enlarged, I have the Star Wars cross sections book and can scan it for you.

*Looks at next post*
Oh my, quite star wars-influenced are we? It does kind of remind me of the LAATi. Perhaps a mix of the two designs would work well.

Page 26:

Hammerhead:
OK OK now this is looking good!
The piranha engines could be a bit more flowing with the hull but I like it!

I think that one thing that would make this a lot better would be a more streamlined rear-wing. Like in the Manta, how the engines have those little sockets? If the rear engines were like that and then continued outward to the SMS holders...

At the moment I think that the two very similar engine blockes make it look too rectangular...

*New Design*
At this rate you'll never finish it! :P

I'm not opposed to this set up, but it really leaves the back looking plain. Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly! :roll: I don't have any suggestions, sadly...

*IDEA!*
You could try mounting the rear engines horizontally instead of vertically...?
The main problem I think is the centering of the engines on both the normal, and the hammerhead additions. The just stick out too much...

*New Engine Layout*
Militant.Jester wrote:*IDEA!*
You could try mounting the rear engines horizontally instead of vertically...?
\

:D :D :D

EXACTLY!

Page 27:

OK I have an idea for the SMS/Railgun mounting.... once I finish this post I will go to my photoshop-enabled ocmputer and try to show you what I'm thinking.

Luco Background:

Wow! This was just a great fluff piece all-around. I don't have any complaints or even constructive criticism about the reading. It was very informative and enjoyable to read!

Page 28:

Hammerhead:
I'm sorry but IMHO those missiles look really, really puny as-is.

OK! I'm done! That was a long post!
As I said before, sorry for being gone so long - I know you were probably dying without my amazing feed back! :P :P :P

Now as for that secret project - I will be working on that next. ;)

MODIFIED HAMMERHEAD:

OK here's my idea:

That is the crappiest photoshop I have ever seen :P

Anyways, the idea is that the railgun is modified to lay horizontally on top of a setup like the thing you can get from Forgeworld:

And then you have missiles just like the forge world item. (I think up-sized missiles could do well here.)
Does that make any sense? :-?
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

Null
Fio

Post#555 » Jul 09 2010 04:49

NICE IDEA Militant Jester!

As long as the SMS is mounted on the same 'turret mechanism' as the Railgun, you solve the problem of the SMS interfering with the Railgun's arc of fire!

- null

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#556 » Jul 13 2010 06:52

Wow Jester, you went kinnda nuts there, didn’t ya? :D Well I will only respond to the relevant things because, as you saw yourself, there have been a lot of changes in 8 pages.

The Skyray Burst Cannon was not finished. It was only painted up to a basecoat really, maybe a few highlights. It will be finished when I start my second wave of Tau. As for playing it in games, I don’t play the game (no opponents), so I can’t really tell you how it works. Sorry! The Skyray turret stays upright by attaching this little round plug thing that came with the kit. Just don’t glue it! I had a really hard time writing the background to it for some reason, but I’m happy with it for now. I might go back at a later time and fix it, but I do appreciate your input. Oh and I’m happy you like the final paint job on the Skyray. I am getting better at painting Tau vehicles, but I still hate it.

As for the Fusion Blaster on the Knarloc, drilling out the holes is just my personal preference. I really like it! The Knarloc’s beak needed something more than straight black, so I gave it a drybrush of grey. It may not be perfect, but I really like it!

Glad you liked the Broadside fluff!

As for the Discovery at Se'hen'Vash the background piece you mentioned, I’m glad you enjoyed it! I wrote it while I was at work on my iphone so I’m happy it turned out okay! I agree with your suggestions for improvements and I will have to make the changes when I can.

I’m also very happy you enjoyed Luco’s background. It probably was the most detailed one I’ve written, so hopefully it gave the desired info. And it even passed your detailed inspection so it has to be good! :D

As for the Hammerhead the current engine setup is what I’m sticking with. I like it and I enjoy how it looks. The Piranha engines will have to be blended into the hull more, but I’ll figure that out when I can. As for the SMS, I agree that they look tiny. I was thinking about how to fix that and I had the idea of using the Space Marine Landspeeder Missile Launcher on the sides there. I want to attach it to the sides of the vehicle though, since I want to be able to swap them out for Burst Cannons. As for mounting the Railgun horizontally; I’m gonna have to say no. I know that it looks a bit goofy, but I really like it and with the engines being wider, I think it helps to balance it out. Basically, I just like the look of something with a big, oversized gun!

So I think that sums it up. Thanks for your advice and I’m happy you’re enjoying the progress. There is still much more to come, so thank you to everyone who has decided to stick around! Soon I will be back home and able to work on my beloved Tau. Not long now!

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#557 » Jul 13 2010 07:07

Wolfs16 wrote:Wow Jester, you went kinnda nuts there, didn’t ya? :D

Yeah a little, I had to go back through while I read you response and read my response. :roll:

Wolfs16 wrote:As for playing it in games, I don’t play the game (no opponents)

That is a real shame, actually. :?

OK well.. actually that's all that I really have replies for. :-? But I will say that I hope I didn't offend you; I just read The Art of Critique and apparently I've been doing it all wrong! I was just saying what I thought about the models; obviously they're yours and if you like it that's good enough for me.
Last edited by Militant.Jester on Jul 13 2010 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#558 » Jul 13 2010 07:43

No worries Shas'La. I am very interested in everyone's input, but I know I will not make everyone happy. That article you referenced is fantastic though. I highly recommend checking it out!

Return to “Project Logs”