[Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (COMPLETE)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (Updated 7-03-10)

Post#559 » Jul 13 2010 11:38

Allright, cool. I have to ask: have you ever considered a nickname for your Cadre? I've never seen one mentioned. I get the feeling that, a serious as your guys are, they may not approve of people giving them nicknames... :eek:
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#560 » Jul 13 2010 11:51

Your post confuses me a bit, I always thought their nickname WAS the Arc-16's..

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#561 » Jul 14 2010 12:11

:-? I don't think so, bit of an odd nickname? I though ARC stood for Aggressive Reconnaissance Cadre, and 16... well, y'know, they're the sixteenth.

Wolfs16! Your followers demand an answer! :P

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#562 » Jul 14 2010 01:20

Militant.Jester wrote::-? I don't think so, bit of an odd nickname? I though ARC stood for Aggressive Reconnaissance Cadre, and 16... well, y'know, they're the sixteenth.

If you go to the first page of this thread, you will find this right at it's top:

The 16th Shas'Ar'Tol Advanced Recon Cadre

so ARC-16's is the abbreviation.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#563 » Jul 14 2010 08:19

Che and Agentarrow are right, ARC-16 is the abbreviation. They don't really have a nickname like some Imperial companies might.

And they are Sa'cean after all. Niknames would not be viewed as proper by the highly militarized Sept. (Totally my own interpretation of the background, no sources other than the codex) That sounds like something those lazy Au'taalan's would do. ;)

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#564 » Jul 14 2010 09:09

Che Gue'vesa wrote:
Militant.Jester wrote::-? I don't think so, bit of an odd nickname? I though ARC stood for Aggressive Reconnaissance Cadre, and 16... well, y'know, they're the sixteenth.

If you go to the first page of this thread, you will find this right at it's top:

The 16th Shas'Ar'Tol Advanced Recon Cadre

so ARC-16's is the abbreviation.

I was pretty close, "aggressive" vs. "advanced."

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#565 » Jul 22 2010 03:24

Okay folks, I am back home and ready to finish my Hammerhead. With the next ATT challenge fast approaching, I want to finish off this vehicle and really work on my new Farsight count-as idea.

In regard to my Hammerhead's SMS mount. I thought a lot about it and I think I am going to keep the little ones it currently has. The fact is, the SMS is a secondary weapon system. To make it any larger would make it compete with the Railgun which is not the point. Look at how small the SMS is on the regular Hammerhead. It's basically two Missile Pods stuck together! So I think I am doing it a big service to upgrade it to this relativity larger size.

My goal now with this guy is do all the green stuff filling ASAP. That means the engine nubs, the spot where the Piranha engines connect and around the round shapes I added to the sides of the hull. Then it will be weapon mounting and magnetizing (basically only the SMS). Then I will mount the back engines and add some more cosmetic upgrades. Then we should be good to go! So stay tuned folks, there is much more to come!

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#566 » Jul 26 2010 07:27

Oh man, it has been awhile. I hope everyone is doing well! Just so you guys know, I have not been idle during my hiatus.

I was able to bring my laptop with me on my trip, which allowed me to write a ton of background info and go back and a edit all my previous background entries. You have find the results in my Collective Background Thread. I will eventually be linking that to my first page of this log so that folks can get all the info easier. If anyone would like to comment on anything in that thread, they can do so here.

Okay so I know it has been awhile since I've updated this department, so I feel that needs to be addressed. I was able to work on my Hammerhead some more and eventually completed the construction phase. I know that this tank in particular has gone through many iterations and I know that not everyone will be happy with the final design. But after much cutting, gap filling and filing I have come up with this: (I must warn you, this is not a painting update!)

Okay so as a reminder, a quick and sloppy basecoat was thrown on this guy, so I will be painting it better! Also, there are 4 sections where the greenstuff got really rough (two on the upper right sides near the SMS mounts and the two sides where the Piranha engines are attached). Oddly enough, the small stuff I did came out okay, but the larger panels a greenstuffed look smooth an perfect! Anyone have any suggestions on smoothing out greenstuff that has dried? I tried filing it down, but it has some scratches and uneven coverage now. Any tips would be appreciated.

So here are some closeups of my add on to the front.

It is a bit that Warhound made which serves no other purpose than simple decoration. I felt that the tank needed something new up front and instead of changing anything on the nose, I changed the sensor a bit. I don't really think anything needs to be added to the nose now. What about you guys?

And here are two shots with all the gubbins attached:

As you can see, the SMS is small, but I feel it looks better and doesn't make the vehicle unbalanced.

So what is everyone's thoughts? I am pretty set on this configuration, so the only changes will be smaller details. I will be furiously painting this guy as much as I can so I can hopefully get it done by the end of this month.

So that's it for now! :D

Null
Fio

Re: [Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (Updated 7-26-10)

Post#567 » Jul 26 2010 07:41

Hey Wolfs16,

Wolfs16 wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on smoothing out greenstuff that has dried? I tried filing it down, but it has some scratches and uneven coverage now. Any tips would be appreciated.
Now, your probbaly going to laugh me off the forum for this......... But if you have a really sharp potato peeler I find it works alright for smoothing rough greenstuff (don't tell my girlfriend I use it for that :P ). Aside from that, I would just suggest using progressivly finer grades of sandpaper.....

By the way, Can we get some clearer pics' of where the pirannha engines join the hull?

Wolfs16 wrote:Just so you guys know, I have not been idle during my hiatus.
We forgive you then ;) .

- null

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#568 » Jul 26 2010 08:18

Wow! The joint between the hull and the piranha engines is excellent. Any tips on how you did that?
The modified sensor array is also really cool. It looks a little unbalanced now, since the bit is off-center, but I think you'll get away with it. :D

As for the SMS... I like the position. But. I don't know. It looks kind of... I don't see how it, or the engine will be able to rotate. So perhaps filling in the joint with the hull instead of having it on a swivel?
Also, the vent on the engine directly below the SMS does not seem like a great idea. You do not want your missiles overheating. :P Perhaps fill it in?

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#569 » Jul 26 2010 08:41

Null:
Good idea with the peeler, but the space is a little to crammed to use something that big. I will just have to go the sandpaper route. Also, I'll get better pics when I can.

Jester:
Glad you're liking most of it. I know that the SMS is gonna be something not everyone would like. Well I thought a lot about it and I figured that since the weapon is not line of sight, it would have to point in a specific direction. So really, there is not rotation required.

The join for the Piranha engines is made with greenstuff and worked better than expected! Just gotta sand it down now.

Phoatu
Fio

Post#570 » Jul 27 2010 01:25

Welcome back, Wolf! I wish i could say the same about not being idle during hiatus. :sad:

Taking a look at the progress of your tank has let the final design grow on me. I -really- like how you attached the piranha engines at the front. It's a really neat join and it looks as if that's the way the model was intended to be built. Then again you're not one for sloppy jobs, so I don't know why I'm surprised!

I really like the extra bit you put on the sensor array; gives something extra to look at (especially once you paint this thing), and helps portray it as something of a 'compact' superheavy if you wish to take on that angle; what with the extra equipment all over the place and all. Can' wait for you to share some of that new fluff with us!
-What should be done if one discovers power in himself?

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#571 » Jul 28 2010 10:51

Thanks Phoatu! I'm glad you are liking the direction it is taking. On that note...

So here is some painting progress on the Hammerhead. Highlighting is still needed, so don't judge it too harshly. There is a lot of red on this tank and I want that represent the fluff behind the crew. These guys are veterans and have survived things that should have killed them several times. They have earned their marks and are proud of them. What do you guys think of this initial placement? If I'm gonna change anything, now's the time!

Oh and just because, here is a current army shot:

Click on the picture to zoom in!

Null
Fio

Re: [Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (Updated 7-28-10)

Post#572 » Jul 29 2010 01:11

Hey Wolfs16

It's looking pretty good! I like the red :crafty: .

Now; the SMS .... I'm not sure. They look as if they are just tacked on there. I know you said you liked them but it's the one part of the model I'm not sold on ......

Also, were you planing on greenstuffing the panels above the sealed hatch?

- null
Last edited by Null on Jul 29 2010 10:08, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#573 » Jul 29 2010 09:25

Okay, well what do you guys think would be a better way to mount it? I attached them there because I will later be using the large Burst Cannons and I wanted a clear place to mount them.

Null
Fio

Post#574 » Jul 29 2010 09:51

Hey Wolfs16

Now that I look at it more, maybe it doesn't have to move. If you were to paint some parts of it red, it might kinda' blend a bit better (?).

- null

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#575 » Jul 29 2010 09:38

Just an idea:

Why I think the SMS looks kind of "off:" You basically have 7 different "parts" sticking out of the main hull - four thrusters, the turret, and two SMS. The transition between the thrusters and the hull is seamless, but you can still see it because the thrusters are much more square than the hull and because they are at such a sharp angle..
That is too much for Tau Tanks! They are meant to be smoother than that.

So, I think the best way to make the SMS look "on" is too integrate it with the hull. The best way (IMHO) would be to either make a row of missiles on the hull somehow, maybe even curving from top to side in the same spot it is currently, or better yer, put it on the turret somehow.

Neither of these options would work well with burst cannons. :? But I'm sure you, of all people, would be able to come up with a suitable X-Weapon.

BUT! If YOU like it the way it is, KEEP it that way! It's you're army; you don't need to listen to us.
What is it that you like and dislike about the current setup?

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#576 » Jul 29 2010 09:56

Null:
I honestly think that after the paint is all on and the Tua markings are made things will look a lot better. But that's a good idea about adding red. As for the panels: no, I am going to leave them as is; although a may smooth out the edges a bit. I plan on adding some cool things to the sides that will act as kill markers. But I have to experiment a bit first.

Militant.Jester:
Good call on the SMS. I see your point now about the break up in the hulls flow. What if a angled them to match the back engines? That would be keeping with the flow, wouldn't it? Something like this maybe:

It would require I do more cutting and add a few other things, but it could work...

As for what I like about the setup is that it keeps the SMS in a good, high firing position without interfering with the Railgun. Also, having it on the sides reminds me of the XV81 with the side mounted SMS launchers. I agree that maybe attaching them closer to the hull might be better, but I honestly don't want to do the work! :D But when the tank is fully kitted out, I really like how it looks! It is supposed to be a heavy beast and it reflects the grizzled vets inside. These are the guys who would go into combat with 20 guns strapped to their bodies and I wanted the tank to reflect that.

To put it simply, my background stories really effect the way the model will be made.

Return to “Project Logs”