[Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (COMPLETE)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

[Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's (COMPLETE)

Post#1 » Aug 18 2009 11:07

The 16th Shas'Ar'Tol Advanced Recon Cadre

The ARC-16’s during the final battle on Ge'nesha.

Greetings, and welcome to my Project Log.

As time has gone on, this has become quite an imposing project for a new person to want to delve into. So to assist with that, I have made a few shortcuts. Below you will see the army list that I am currently working up to. Beneath each entry in the list, you will see colored text that will provide a link to some pictures. Click on them and you can see my current progress on a particular unit.

To read the collective background on my cadre, please follow this link. There you will find completed photos of each model, as well as their background.

With that said, please feel free to explore through these logs and see how I have improved with the help of great ideas and suggestions from some of the best modellers, painters and background writers on Advanced Tau Tactica.

-Tau'va,
Shas'Vre Wolfs16

--OPENING UPLINK TO DATABASE - AUTHORIZATION CODE: ****** --
--AUTHORIZATION CODE ACCEPTED. ACCESS GRANTED.--
--WELCOME COMMANDER--

--UNIT QUERY, DESIGNATION: 16TH SA'CEA SHAS'AR'TOL ADVANCED RECON CADRE--
--PROCESSING...--
--ACCESS DENIED: DATA CLASSIFIED--
--SECURITY CODE: **************--
--SECURITY CODE ACCEPTED. ACCESS GRANTED.--
--WELCOME, SHAS'O SA’CAE OL’KUNAS.--

-- QUERY, CADRE COMPOSITION--
--PROCESSING...--

DESIGNATION: 16th Sa'cea Shas'ar'tol Advanced Recon Cadre.
COMMANDING OFFICER: Shas'El Sa'cea Ro’Yon Mon'tyr Lar’shi. Master Shaper Natar Luco
OFFICERS: Shas’Vre Kais’Lar, Drill Shas’Vre Yan’Tak , Shas’Ui Bentu’Ro, Shaper Gorok Luro, Shaper Yusra Vok
PERSONNEL: 175 Shas
HELPERS: 90 Kor’Vesa,
AUXILIARY: The Blood Quills Kindred (Roughly 250 members. Not all on active duty.) The Reprid Gue’Vesa’Kor Tribe (40 Members, not all on active duty.)
VEHICLES : 3x Hammerhead, 6x Devilfish, 2x Pathfinder Devilfish, 2x Skyray
CURRENT STATUS: Actively pursuing remnants of Splinter Fleet Reclaimer. Training Cadres in the Tau’shan system in anti-Tyranid tactics.
CURRENT LOCATION: Training Facility, 3rd moon of Ma'juro, Tau'shan system.

INFO:
The 16th Shas’ar’tol Advanced Recon Cadre (ARC-16’s) are designed to go out on deep penetrating reconnaissance missions to gather intelligence on the encroaching Tyranid threat. The goal is to gauge strengths and weaknesses without committing to prolonged engagements. Because of this, the ARC-16’s often find themselves deep in enemy territory, out numbered and outgunned. The ARC have proven themselves to be very proficient in identifying key vulnerabilities among Tyranid forces and their experiences are being used to train other Tau cadre’s on how best to combat this threat.

Tyranid are the main enemy faced by the ARC. The very nature of this enemy means that their theater of battle changes regularly. From deserts to ice worlds, urban centers to abandoned orbital’s, the ARC have extensive experience in many surroundings.

Every veteran of the ARC-16’s feels a burning hatred toward the Tyranid, desiring nothing more than to wipe them out once and for all. The Shas’ar’tol, however, realizes that a traditional war against the Tyranid would be unfeasible. There are simply too many of the beasts to be properly contained, especially with all the other enemies the Tau must face. What they are looking for is a weakness; an Achilles heel. Of course, no instant fix is expected, but the experience gained by the ARC-16’s is enabling the Fio to advance their research on Tyranid by leaps and bounds. The hope is that somewhere in the galaxy there exists a weapon, a substance or even a race that can effectively combat the Tyranid and defeat them once and for all. Hopefully something will be found. Until then, wherever the foul Y’he cloud the skies, the ARC-16’s will be there.

Cadre Census Entry

CURRENT UNIFORM SCHEME:
-----------------

So I think it’s time that I jump on the bandwagon and start up my own little project log. I think it’s a good idea to have some goals with each army you work on. So here are my goals with the ARC-16’s:

1.) Improve my painting skills. (Especially Highlighting)
2.) Make custom bases with character.
3.) Create a rich background.

And of course, this will motivate me to finish painting the army!

I plan on adding more and more background for my cadre, but I will keep it simple for now. So where did I get the inspiration for the army? Well that picture you see above is one of the things that really sparked my creativity.

I have a Tyranid army that I love (check my signature to see them). They were my first army and the paint job clearly shows that. :P I wanted to make an army that faced my Tyranid on a regular basis and those honored opponents are the Tau. So now I am organized and I am tackling my Tau like a machine.

First off, one thing that you’ll notice in this log is the lack of XV8’s. Simple reason being that all my XV8’s were put together before I really knew how to properly put together a model. So that means that they are either chopped up from some of my terrible conversion attempts, or they were glued together using the wrong kind of glue. Maybe I’ll work on repairing them at some point, but for now I have better ideas.

Army List Inspiration:
Turbo_MMX’s Kroot Auxiliary Corps

I love the Kroot and I just had to find a way to incorporate them into my list. So I came up with a good way to get some Crisis Suits while not using my busted up old ones. Knarloc Riders! The Knarloc Riders are going to be my count-as crisis suits. I will have some normal XV8’s at some point, but for now that is what you’re going to get.

Paint Scheme Inspiration:
Tael's Sa'Cean Urban Cadre

I have always felt that an urban theme was very cool and can let me get really creative. Upon seeing Tael’s Tau, I was hooked.

Background Inspiration:
I have to thank Brokensword for his help in developing my background. I struggled with getting my thoughts focused and it was him that initially came up the the ARC designation and wrote a paragraph of background that started this entire creative flow.

Be sure to check out his amazing thread on his own Sept's background.

Here is the Army List I will be working too:

ARC-16’s:
Total points: 2000

created by: Eal'ta
author: Wolfs16

++++ [HQ] ++++

XV8 Shas'el
--- [TL Missile pod, Positional relay, HW Target lock, Bonding knife, Iridium Arm., Stimulant inj., Shield Drone, Shield Drone]
Shas'El Lar'Shi: COMPLETE
---PROFILE ACCESS: [GRANTED]---

XV8 Shas'o
--- [Fusion blaster, Missile pod, Plasma rifle, HW Multi-tracker, HW Drone controller, Shield Drone, Shield Drone]
Master Shaper Natar Luco: COMPLETE

++++ [Elites] ++++

XV8 Shas'ui
--- [TL Missile pod, Flamer]
XV8 Shas'ui
--- [Missile pod, TL Flamer]
XV8 Shas'ui
--- [TL Missile pod, Flamer]
Knarloc Riders: COMPLETE
---PROFILE ACCESS: [url][GRANTED][/url]---

XV8 Shas'ui TL
--- [Missile pod, Plasma rifle, Multi-tracker, Bonding knife, HW Drone controller, 2x Gun Drone]
XV8 Shas'ui
--- [Missile pod, Plasma rifle, Multi-tracker]
XV8 Shas'ui
--- [Missile pod, Plasma rifle, Multi-tracker]
Crisis Team Mont'mesa: COMPLETE
---PROFILE ACCESS: [GRANTED][/url]---

XV8 Shas'ui TL
--- [Burst cannon, Plasma rifle, Multi-tracker, Bonding knife, HW Drone controller, 2x Gun Drone]
XV8 Shas'ui
--- [Burst cannon, Plasma rifle, Multi-tracker]
XV8 Shas'ui
--- [Burst cannon, Plasma rifle, Multi-tracker]
Crisis Team Yan'tak: COMPLETE

++++ [Troops] ++++

9x Fire Warrior 'la
--- [Pulse rifle]
Fire Team Doran: COMPLETE

10x Kroot
--- [Kroot rifle]
6x Kroot Hound
--- [Fangs]
Carnivore Squad Kortu: COMPLETE

10x Kroot
--- [Kroot rifle]
6x Kroot Hound
--- [Fangs]
Carnivore Squad Vok: COMPLETE

++++ [Fast Attack] ++++

V. Strain Leader
--- [Neutron blaster]
5x Vespid Stingwing
--- [Neutron blaster]
Gue'vesa'Kor: COMPLETE

7x Pathfinder 'la
--- [Pulse C./ Marker]
Devilfish
--- [Burst cannon, 2x Gun Drone, Landing gear, Disruption pod, Multi-tracker]
Pathfinder Squad Mont're: COMPLETE

++++ [Heavy Support] ++++

XV88 'ui TL
--- [TL Railgun, SMS, Targeting array, Bonding knife, HW Drone controller, Shield Drone, Shield Drone, HW Target lock]
XV88 'ui
--- [TL Railgun, SMS, Targeting array]
Broadside Support Team O'ran COMPLETE

Hammerhead
--- [Railgun, SMS, Landing gear, Targeting array, Multi-tracker, Disruption pod]
TX-6.2 “Assassin” Hammerhead COMPLETE
---PROFILE ACCESS: [DENIED]---

Sky Ray
--- [6x Seeker missile, SMS, 2x Netw. Marker, Landing gear, Target lock, Disruption pod, Multi-tracker, Targeting array]
Skyray Ko’Vah'cha: COMPLETE

-----------------------
Total Model's Completed/Remaining: 82/82
-----------------------

I rarely get to play a game, since I don’t have any opponents. So while I would like to make the list game-worthy, I am pretty set on the current set up, so I probably won’t change anything.

Tactics I plan on using focus around the Positional Relay. Inspired by this article.

Also, the Shield’El is a tactic that I enjoy using.

Essentially, Deepstriking Crisis Suits and Vespid will help me to eliminate key threats while my Outflanking and/or Infiltrating Kroot secure far away objectives or simply draw fire. The Firewarrior’s stay in their Devilfish and only come out when they need to. Broadside hit vehicles and the Skyray utilizes it’s Markerlights and Seeker Missiles to eliminate heavy armor. I could have gone with the Hammerhead, but I always freakin miss with my Railgun on that thing.

So now, onto the pretty pictures! Now, many of the models you’ll see are about 85% done. Details such as weathering, lenses and Sept marking will be done once I get a few more models done. This helps me to keep momentum.

Here is a shot of Fire Team Doran

You’ll notice that some of the models have red markings and Tyranid pieces and others don’t. That will be explained in due time. :roll:

Now here is the start of my 10 man Kroot Squad:

Here is a guy with a little more paint:

I am especially proud of their bases which I’ve just finished:

And here are my count as Vespid, the Gue’vesa’kor. I still have more to do on them:

And here is my current project, my first Knarloc Rider.

He is my TL Flamer and Missile Pod guy. I have converted up a Flamer/Kroot Rifle conversion that I think looks pretty cool! I have to add a few more Tau bits to it, so this is still very WIP. I was thinking of adding a re-breather mask to the head. Any ideas?

The base he is on is not going to be used by him. It is saved for my Master Shaper, Natar Luco. But he is not ready yet, do still got more work to do!

So there you have it! Comments and criticism are always welcome!
Last edited by Wolfs16 on Feb 05 2010 11:41, edited 34 times in total.

Turbo_MMX
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Re: [Wolfs16's Log] The ARC-16's

Post#2 » Aug 18 2009 11:12

Loving the Knarloc Rider concept Wolf. Your vespid are also quite an inspiration. Have seen some done using fire warriors but not the humans. Good idea with the neutron blaster conversion :) Shall be watching this log with great interest :)
The Mighty Kroot Power Gamer!

Ah yes, ya gotta love it

1st Tau Airborne
Kor'La
Kor'La

Re: [Wolfs16's Tau Log] The ARC-16's

Post#3 » Aug 18 2009 11:13

Good work Wolfs16 I would love to see your fluff fleshed out but then again you could probably guess that about me.

-Airborne

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#4 » Aug 18 2009 11:14

Man! They don't call you Turbo for nothing! I just posted this up and I have a comment from you! :P

Glad you like the Knarloc Rider! The picture is a little dark, but it will get a million times better once there is some paint on the guy. I'm glad you like the Gue'vesa'kor as well!

Oh, believe me Airborne, I have a lot written. But I don't want to overwhelm people. I'll PM you some of the juicy stuff. :D

Dal'yth Mont'sha
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Aug 18 2009 11:33

Looking good Wolfs16. There is some nifty ideas in there I may have to borrow ;)

Your Knarloc rider looks really sweet with the flamethrower!

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#6 » Aug 19 2009 12:22

Thanks Dal'yth! It's always inspiring to get compliments from such talented modelers like yourself. :) Feel free to take any idea you'd like!

Warhound
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 19 2009 03:28

Looking good my man!

Nice to see the addition of the kroot rider also- nice job!

I am curious to see how this progresses over the coming months;-P

As an aside, you mention one of your goals as highlighting properly in the future. After seeing all the squads together, it looks as though tonally, you are staying quite dark. Is this the effect that you wanted? It looks like it due to the colour plate. If that is the case then I have just had some good ideas on how to make your boys stand out properly and really 'pop' as at the moment, they are all in quite 'dusk lit' tones...

Let me know if you want to go in this new direction (take the red pill or the blue pill;-)

Otherwise, your other 3 objectives I would say are being owned at the moment!;-)

cheers
W
EDIT: I think its actually your photography, but the question still stands;-)
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Aug 19 2009 04:06

I'm really loving the FW's you have there buddy, great scheme and quite crisp looking :), Kroot and the Gnarloc rider are always good to have around in any army, but I do like a lot with what you've done with them. Gue vesa heads are a little small ( must admit that I also considered going with those ones too ) but all in all they look the part :) . I've still not come up with an idea of how we can do the Force's of the Tau'shan garrison how about you?

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#9 » Aug 19 2009 04:40

Warhound:
*Wolfs16 stands nervously as he looks at the pills in each of Warhounds hands* Your words intrigue me, Warhound. I'd be interested in hearig your suggestyions as it seems like you have some experience when it comes to painting. :P I'm glad you like everything else though! The fact is, I actually really like dark armies (I think they look more realistic) and I think a darker tone works well with the urban environment I am trying to create. Did you know that this is my very first attempt at highlighting? So I'm going from 0 to 60!

But yeah, my lighting is not that great. It is better than it was before! But truthfully the pictures do not properly do the models justice. What I think really messes them up is when I upload them to Dakka Dakka, I sometimes select their auto-adjust option. That tends to really darken the picture. So let me mess with my lighting a bit and let's see if that makes a difference!

Brokensword:
Glad you like 'em dude! I can see your point when it comes to the Gue'vesa, but I have always hated the size of an average Guardsmen head for the reason that they seem really huge! I think the Pig Iron heads provide a sens of proportion to the model. One thing I want to do for them though is to attach little armor plates to their hands, since I friggin' hate seeing their stupid bare hands!

As for the Forces of the Tau'shan Garrison, I think simply tying our logs together with some unifying techniques/themes will help. Since my boys are currently training some of yours in Anti-Tyranid Doctrine, then I think it would only be apportionment to have a few Tau'shan Firewarrior's among mine so they can get a hands on learning experience. ;) I have a cool little idea that I will post later that might help to give that a stronger theme. Stay tuned!

(Any ideas you have Brokensword are welcome!)

Warhound
Shas

Post#10 » Aug 19 2009 04:55

Blue pill then;-)

Ok, as it looks as though this is the stage that you have left the FW's before moving on to the kroot and Gue'vesa, I am going to assume that you have finished them?

If they are not finished, then this is good anyway, and so I can help you with the finishing stages;-)

Paint all sept symbols on shoulder pads in black, then pick out the symbol with Adeptus grey. Mix this with white for edge highlights.
Pick out the main eye lenses with white- 2 thin coats should do. Then wash with a thinned green ink. When dry highlight with a mix of white and the ink, and then just white into the centre of the lenses.
Red panels- highlight by mixing golden yellow 1/3 into the the base red and just pick out edges.

Grey- this is the big problem at the moment. All edges do need highlighting- I would use Spacewolves light grey. The purple shade that you have used works great, but there is no depth to the bulk of the model at the moment. The fatigues actually paint themselves at the moment, so leave them be.
Black- just one sharp edge highlight of grey.

Try this on one guy tonight and bring back the results?

It would be nice to see some bright sept markings or the odd shoulder panel too- in white?

When actually highlighting, either use the tip, or preferably the side of the brush as this will give you greater control. Keep the paint thin as milk and only highlight the edges that would be hit from the top or front with light (keep it consistent).

I hope that this helps?
W

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#11 » Aug 19 2009 05:01

Ah, all good advice! I will try this on one Firewarrior and we'll see if I don't screw it up! :D

The Firewarriors are not completely done. I just wanted to get them to a table-top standard so I can move on to the next batch. This helps me keep momentum and motivation. Then, after I've finished a squad or two I'll go back and do the fine details. But your advice is too good to just wait! Hopefully I can get a little guy done tonight.

Any tips for better lighting?

Warhound
Shas

Post#12 » Aug 19 2009 05:04

I just use my phone (5megpixel) on macro and by a doorway so that I get natural light- nothing special or lightboxy;-)

Yours seem to be away from natural light though- like at the back of a room?

cheers
W

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#13 » Aug 19 2009 08:02

I live in a box. I have no windows so the only light I have is my desk light and a ceiling light. The ceiling light is not close enough obviously. The desk light is a natural, white light kind of lamp. I tried putting the model in a white shoebox with the lamp shinning directly in the front. Maybe I have to try some other kind of background...

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#14 » Aug 20 2009 12:29

Okay so here is my first attempt at pretty-ing up my Firewarriors. I think it looks pretty good if I do say so myself!

--Fire Team Doran--
>Shas'La Sa'cae Ko<
Background:
Shas'La Ko is the newest member of the ARC-16's. He was transferred directly from Sa'cae upon completion of his first combat mission. Ko earned his name for his part in repelling an attack by Ork raiders on his convoy. An excellent marksmen, Ko took the initiative to seek out the Ork leadership among the raiders and focus his Lar'ua's fire, thus throwing the Ork's into disarray. Ko is eager to prove his worth to his new cadre and hopes to continue to live up to his name.

So what do you guys think? Warhound, have I made you proud? :P And to show you how far I've come, here's the before shot:

I think there is some improvement, don't you? :) (Can you tell that I am proud of this guy? :P )

Dal'yth Mont'sha
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#15 » Aug 20 2009 12:56

Very, very nice Wolfs16. Looking really schmick, you certainly can be proud of this fellow :)

Warhound
Shas

Post#16 » Aug 20 2009 03:12

:eek:

now that was the quickest and largest improvement I have seen since megatron turned into Galvetron!

Great work! and I bet it didn't take that long?

The only comments I would leave now are:

The sept symbol on shoulder pad- definitely make it pure black under and white panels- as an iconic piece it needs to be clear and crisp.
The Gold areas (barrel ends etc) in the future put the base gold down, wash with gryphone sepia/ yellow ink mix and when dry, then just run around the edges to define with brown ink. At the moment it looks like the ends are just grey then gold- there needs to be a dividing line?
Purple- don't be scared to give the lenses a real pure white pin prick spotlight, then a thin glaze of purple ink over the top will give it a nice gloss sheen and enrich the colour.

Otherwise, I think that this is a fantastic effort for an evenings work and I can't wait to see ALL you other stuff done in this scheme! :crafty:

cheers
W

minamoto
Shas

Post#17 » Aug 20 2009 03:13

Yeah, this fellow looks great. I really like how the purple softly stick out from the greyish-blue.

keep it up!

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Aug 20 2009 04:20

Warhound wrote::eek:
now that was the quickest and largest improvement I have seen since megatron turned into Galvetron!

Megatron: Why should I, what's in it for me?
Unicron: Your bargaining posture is highly dubious; But very well. I will provide you with a new body, and new troops to command.
Megatron: And?
Unicron: And nothing. You belong to me... now.
Megatron: I belong to nobody.
Unicron: Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed - on your way to oblivion.

Those pics are gorgeous, I'm now going to take some more pics on Macro now on my Cybershot camera phone, then people can see how bad my painting really is ! :P

Return to “Project Logs”